SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:35 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Man, I want to fly one so bad, I'm going crazy thinking how I'd do the TV.
It would be so comfy to have those nice kits... at $5. HobbyKing makes us spoiled.
Or should I say, I now have too much time to speed up a build that you tend to build simultaneously.
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:43 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
If you would like to do elevon mixing with a non-computer radio you could make an onboard mechanical mixer . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385916http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...17&postcount=7
I'm doing something completely different. I'm currently in the process of hacking my TX to convert it to a fully custom, C-programmable*, computer radio.

Just soldered on connectors on the radio board last night so I can insert a small microcontroller and intercept/modify the PPM signal. In the process of drafting a circuit board.

*note: Those of you who don't write software won't understand it but those of you who write software will understand why I want this
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:44 PM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
315 Posts
@ dave:

'....Could I please ask, the modified Gen II vector unit, is this the one you use with you 19' Delta. ?
Yes, one of the 2 stronger units I have, using the framework of the GEN. II.
For use in the 19' Delta, I elongated the triangle-frame 8cm

I was wanting to do something similar later in the year, and would upgrade the servos, ESC and motor, could you recommend the motor/prop combination you are using ?

I use a 1300Rpm/Volt motor with a 9/4.5" Prop or a 10/3.5" Prop, in combination with a 50A ESC

Love the Blade Msr Mini Vector :-)
Me too!
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:58 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,028 Posts
flatterman, which solution worked best overall for the sports kite?
I was partial to a "6" solution. I imagined so because: the stress is taken off 100% directly on the servos and distributed throughout the frame; very wide motion range; maximum airflow (lack of obstruction).
Getting machined steal for those dimensions will be unreasonable for most of us. I'm still trying to piece together sources of parts to make a reasonable replica of that Premier version. Holding off on my HobbyKing order until I have a full parts list.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:14 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
315 Posts
... I use the "6" design for 'normal' sized sports kites (160-180cm wingspan).

flattermann
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:18 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flattermann View Post
No. 5 shows the 'full heli-mechanics' solution
I like the 'full heli-mechanics' solution as I have 2 helicopters that I do not fly very often

While on the 'helicopter' topic, a forum of possible interest for thrust vectoring is the 'auto gyro' forum (also under 'exotic and special interest aircraft').
For those who do not know, the 'auto gyro' is a fore-runner of the helicopter and looks like a hybrid between a airplane and a helicopter.
Like an airplane, it has a propeller to pull it forward.
Like a helicopter, it has a overhead rotor to provide lift.
Unlike a helicopter, an auto gyro's rotor is not powered.
Instead it spins on its own as the auto gyro moves forward through the air
(hence the term 'auto' in auto gyro).

Auto gyros have a form of pitch and roll control (like a helicopter's cyclic control) known as 'direct control' (DC).
This involves using servos to directly tilt the rotor relative to the auto gyro's body and looks like a thrust vectoring unit tilted 90 degrees upward.
Like thrust vectoring, these units need to handle a lot of force (in this case, all the lift force) without putting too much stress on the servos.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:57 PM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Auto gyros have a form of pitch and roll control (like a helicopter's cyclic control) known as 'direct control' (DC).
This involves using servos to directly tilt the rotor relative to the auto gyro's body and looks like a thrust vectoring unit tilted 90 degrees upward.
The very same mechanism (vector unit used vertically) was used by Ryan to test fly Rogallo wings: http://books.google.com.my/books?id=...page&q&f=false

It would be interesting to build a scale model of the Ryan testbed. Most RC models of Rogallo wings use a conventional rudder to steer. We can probably come up with a vector unit strong enough to be used for weight shifting.

(I would also like to take this opportunity to thank whoever it was at Google who secured the rights to scan and archive old issues of Popular Mechanics and allow us to read them for free)
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:35 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
315 Posts
@ balsa or carbon:
'....It looks like Flattermann's solution #7 above ( universal joint solution ) would use an elevon mix . That seems to me to be a good design because you would have TWO servos pulling the weight of the motor and prop up when the input is up elevator. ...'

No use of an elevon mix - simply up/down, right/left. The design of a Universal Joint prevents twisting in unwanted directions.
Look again to Pic. # 7 ...

As I reported in another thread, this solution does'nt allow as much steering angle in all directions as the # 6 allows, because the right/left and up/down tuning axles of a universal joint are not on the same turning level - they are one behind the other.

flattermann
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bognor Regis
Joined Feb 2011
351 Posts
@ Flatterman

"I use a 1300Rpm/Volt motor with a 9/4.5" Prop or a 10/3.5" Prop, in combination with a 50A ESC"

Many thanks for the information on the larger size motor you use

Would this motor weigh in the region of 100g ?

Had you noticed that E-Flite are soon to release a MCPx collective pitch heli ?
http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon.../e13_mcpx.html

Perhaps a Micro Variable pitch Vector unit could be a new project

Dave
Mitchy123 is offline Find More Posts by Mitchy123
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:20 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
315 Posts
BL-Motor: Yes, 107 grs weight.

That Heli looks cute

flattermann
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:39 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
The very same mechanism (vector unit used vertically) was used by Ryan to test fly Rogallo wings: http://books.google.com.my/books?id=...page&q&f=false
Yes. I remember that Rogallo wings also sometimes use this same mechanism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
(I would also like to take this opportunity to thank whoever it was at Google who secured the rights to scan and archive old issues of Popular Mechanics and allow us to read them for free)
Side note: most copyrights expire after a period of time.
Determining that period may be tricky.
Here is one description (probably for US copyright law, not sure how applicable in other places):
http://inventors.about.com/od/copyri...expiration.htm
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:50 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,687 Posts
This thread needs to be a sticky. It's nice to have all the options for VT in one spot....

Tim
AG4RZ
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:05 AM
Eat, Sleep, Fly!
Joined Mar 2001
659 Posts
Another Type?

Flattermann:

Where does my thruster design fit?
realglow is offline Find More Posts by realglow
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:06 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
315 Posts
... perhaps on Your red Delta (if You protect it a bit with an elongation of the keel rod)?

flattermann
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:05 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bognor Regis
Joined Feb 2011
351 Posts
A few more pictures of my friend Dan's gimbals he has made,

Hopefully the weather in the UK will eventually cheer up, and we can get out and start flying a few things

Dave
Mitchy123 is offline Find More Posts by Mitchy123