HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:39 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
487 Posts
Discussion
F15, F16 or F18 EDF

Help!

I have been reading the forums all morning but can't find the exact answer to my question.

I'd like a foam EDF model. It would be my first model, so I am looking for something that is stable and forgiving.

I know a lot of people recommend the Phase 3 F16, but I don't like the colour scheme. (I know, I'm picky!) I'd really like a military colour scheme.

What would people recommend as the most stable, most forgiving airframe - an F15, and F16 or F18?

Thanks!
Simon
sihinch is offline Find More Posts by sihinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:21 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihinch View Post
Help!
What would people recommend as the most stable, most forgiving airframe - an F15, and F16 or F18?
None of the above.

If you want something suitable as a first RC plane (you did say "first model," not just "first EDF model," right?), that will be likely to last more than 10 seconds into the first flight before going 'splat' and turning into foam confetti, then go to the Beginner Training Area forum (link). Start by doing a "Search this Forum" within that forum, "Advanced Search," "Search Titles Only" with Keywords "first" and "plane" (here's the result I got). You will probably find a lot of recommendations for Easystar and Super Cub. You probably won't find many (if any) recommendations for EDF fighter jets. Gotta walk before you can run (well most of us have to anyway).
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:01 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
If this is going to be your first edf jet mine was the sapac 64mm T45, I know that wasn't in you list but it's probably the best edf trainer out there. All of the jets you listed are stable designs but if it was my choice I would go with the F18 specially this one:

55mm:
http://www.bananahobby.com/1988.html
OR
70mm version:
http://www.bananahobby.com/1911.html

I have the 70mm version and its a great flyer, Its fast but nothing unreasonable it can also fly real stable at slow speeds. Here are links to the threads I have on this, the first one is my main thread the second one is just were I also post my flight videos.

Main thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1253353

Video thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275859

Hope this info is helpfull

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:31 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
I have two Freewing F-15s that are pretty much ready to fly except no servos. They are by far the best F-15 trainers. As easy as the HP F-16, maybe easier.

Heres a link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282869

PM me with what versions you want.

Thanks,
Teja
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:43 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,443 Posts
Low vis, camo military colour schemes are very bad for visual orientation. These EDFs get real small, real quick! Go with high visibility for now (with a lot of contrast between top and bottom). You can have fun painting it later if you want.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:07 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
I recommend a Phase 3 F-16, painted camo grey with a 2W20 on 4S and a HET fan. Once you've mastered that then move on to a Parkzone Corsair and then a Supercub. You'll be fine.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:10 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
I recommend a Phase 3 F-16, painted camo grey with a 2W20 on 4S and a HET fan. Once you've mastered that then move on to a Parkzone Corsair and then a Supercub. You'll be fine.
You are a very bad man
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:26 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dro56595@bigpo View Post
You are a very bad man
LOL
I'm pretty sure I got that backwards. Sorry.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:16 PM
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
If this is going to be your first edf jet mine was the sapac 64mm T45, I know that wasn't in you list but it's probably the best edf trainer out there. All of the jets you listed are stable designs but if it was my choice I would go with the F18 specially this one:

55mm:
http://www.bananahobby.com/1988.html
OR
70mm version:
http://www.bananahobby.com/1911.html

I have the 70mm version and its a great flyer, Its fast but nothing unreasonable it can also fly real stable at slow speeds. Here are links to the threads I have on this, the first one is my main thread the second one is just were I also post my flight videos.

Main thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1253353

Video thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275859

Hope this info is helpfull

j3tman,
Just some info about the Banana hobby Blitzwork mini F16 version of these 55mm $84 RX-Ready from Blitzworks. They come packed terribly. The airframe is in a plastic bag taped to the bottom of the box with clear packing tape fome one side across the airframe to the other. The tape is applied at considerable tension causing the forward intake tunnel on the F16 to be deformed and cracked the seam joint and deformed the forward half of the air intake tunnel to one side off center. The outer packaging showed no sign of handling damage so it was obvious that the packing process caused the damage. Also the fan on the EDF was badly out of balance and half the blades interfered with the inside of the EDF housing because some of the blades were too long for the housing. All this was fixable and after a half day of reworking the foam with gentle heat and persuasion I fixed the air intake tunnel and the fan balance and interference. Once fixed and the typical pre maiden flight adjustments. I walked down to the park with 2 fully charged lipos and put it through the its first flight. It has perfect power for ballpark flying. It is real touchy on slow (almost but not quite alpha) passes but flies into a 15mph head wind OK at throttle. It is a pain in the tail at a 15 mph cross wind. I did not have high expectations at $84 but I did not expect the thing to be squashed due to Blitsworks packaging. I would like to recommend this plane for a small park throw around. But because of the packaging issues I can’t
mdpparkflyer is offline Find More Posts by mdpparkflyer
Last edited by mdpparkflyer; Jul 30, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:59 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
I have the Hobbyking F-15 ( 2 actually ) both are very resilient , predictable and with a little practice land at your feet , both are hand launch and belly land. I also have the Hobby king F-35 , its a nice floaty plane enough speed for a trainer but is a little pitch twitchy in light wind, in no wind it flies very nicely. I also have the RCLander F-16 which is a completely different kettle of fish , on the ground and in the air it is absolutely stunning , everyone stops and stares literally everyone ( including the police ) but its a lot heavier and you know you are flying the extra weight.

Out of them all i would choose the F-15 simply because its a good all round plane for a trainer , the F-35 comes very close second and only loses out because of the material (eps i believe) and its slightly smaller and lighter which i believe is what is making it sensitive ( can easily be remedied by using a bigger battery ).
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Last edited by scousethief; Jul 31, 2010 at 05:01 AM. Reason: because i cant spell
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:00 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
487 Posts
Apologies

Sorry all for my lack of clarity - and thanks for all the responses.

I have flown prop trainers and 3&4-ch low wing aircraft/parkflyers.

I am not going straight in to EDF!
sihinch is offline Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Aug 04, 2010, 01:12 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
hi scousethief are you talking about the twin motor or the single 70mm version
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Last edited by J-ACE; Aug 04, 2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: not enough info
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
My F-15 is the single 70mm EDF version J-ACE , the f-35 is a 64mm single, I try to stick to the single EDF planes although i do have a twin haoye su27 which although it isnt exactly scale flies beautifully im just not happy with the flight times on that one

f15
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10420

f35
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11406

Honestly cant really fault either plane as a first EDF both have really good characteristics , the f35 flies nicely on both 1500mah 25c and 2200mah 35c (the 35c really shifts though ) and both land amazingly slowly and "plonk" themselves down from about 5 feet landing on their bellies

f15.AVI (1 min 28 sec)

Thats my f-15 , the flight is not a very good one because i was testing out different motor/fan combos , the one in the vid is the eflite delta v which i wont ever use again , 2 fans broke a blade with no rubbing or vibration so i wasnt happy , but , the plane without power glided ? back to were we were standing with no problem.
The only thing i have changed now is the motor , the stock one is fine but she can sag a little on hand launch ( into a little wind is perfectly fine , no wind causes a sag) so i now use this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4200
with the stock fan , this stops the sag completely as you can see in the vid it just goes up and away , flightimes between 3.5 and 6 minutes depending a lot on throttle management , but because i have have a lot of 2200mah lipos from my heli building its not an issue.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Aug 05, 2010, 04:03 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
cheers scousethief I do like the look of the f15
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Aug 05, 2010, 05:09 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
the tip of Colonel Lights finger
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
i had a hobbyking horny' arrive in the mail today.

havent flown it but me likey.

before i even fit an Rx, its out with the ~280w 64mm fan and in with a ~400w 70mm ($20)
Oblivion is offline Find More Posts by Oblivion