HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:51 PM
Registered User
Waynesville, NC
Joined Nov 2010
15 Posts
Not TBE?

I have a new Firebird R3 that I thought was doing the classic toilet bowl (cyclic circle) effect. It hovers and flies forward normally, but when I release the right stick, instead of stopping and quickly stablizing it does big clockwise, decaying circles (without yaw) until it finally settles into a stable hover.

Re-reading the posts on TBE, I noticed that the above behavior isn't what's described. The rotation is clockwise, the same as the top rotor but should be the opposite. Also it, stops after 5-10 seconds instead of continuing or getting worse.

I've checked the fly bar and links for binding, lubricated with spray silicone, exchanged the whole top rotor head assembly with blades and fly bar with those from two other helis that are OK, swapped out lower blades and see no indication of a bent shaft. Nothing helped.

I have another new Firebird R5 that will only fly for 2-3 minutes and won't trim after the first minute (rotates right). I'd scavenge it for parts if I had any idea which ones.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

These Firebirds have really deteriorated recently - on the other hand, a new S107 R5 flied great.
Skipjack is offline Find More Posts by Skipjack
Last edited by Skipjack; Mar 07, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:30 PM
Registered User
scorp's Avatar
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippie View Post
Not yet...but that will happen......I've got plenty to choose from...
i only got 1 left in spares, broke one and lost one and the rest are being utilized so i'll send you a pm for some more shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydec View Post
Okay-
The instructions in the 109 manual are the same as the 107, i.e. Light should be off while charging, on when charging is complete. I just charged it from the controller and it charged in about 30 minutes and is working great. The lights on the controller worked correctly too, RED while charging, GREEN when charged. I just don't want to go broke buyinh AA's.
Terry
chinese instructions are known to be wrong many times so i would suggest you leave it on the charger for at least 45 min and see if the light is gonna go off or try the s107 charger on it, most likely its the same polarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbuntuHeli View Post
I am wondering how to replace the plastic part on top of the inner shaft without replacing the entire shaft. I broke this piece and removed it from my broken heli and my spare parts heli, but now it won't stay on. How do I put it back on?
I have considered super glue, but is this a good idea?
Help!
there are suppose to be two screws near the top that plastic that you tighten on the wedged part of the shaft.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post



chinese instructions are known to be wrong many times so i would suggest you leave it on the charger for at least 45 min and see if the light is gonna go off or try the s107 charger on it, most likely its the same polarity.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward using the cord from the 107. It looks like these birds are essentially identical. It's more likely the cord that came with the 109 is bad rather than either the port on the 'copter or the USB port. I might try the controller for the 107 on the 109. If it charges then they almost have to be the same. If not, I'll use the new cord and see if the light goes out.

We'll see.
Thanks for the reply-
Terry
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:03 PM
Registered User
Klippie's Avatar
Scotland
Joined Oct 2010
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
i only got 1 left in spares, broke one and lost one and the rest are being utilized so i'll send you a pm for some more shortly
No problem...just let me know how many you need and I'll have them sent off in double quick time...
Klippie is offline Find More Posts by Klippie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:18 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
you can straighten it out by hand after you know exactly where it needs to be bent back by spinning it, i've done it after a bad crash and it works although its probably not as perfect as factory straight but i could fly with it after with very little vibration compared to heavy unfliable vibration when it was bent
Thanks scorp. I had no idea how easily these shafts can be straightened. WOW, I wish my V4 shafts were that easy. That being said....

Don (the guy MaladroitFL recommended: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390286871961) returned my email and was very nice. He wanted a picture of the part I needed and would send me a new one....{a pic. lol.}. Well, at least he's a stand up guy and backs up his stuff. Nice contact Maladroit

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydec View Post
Yeah, I'm leaning toward using the cord from the 107. It looks like these birds are essentially identical. It's more likely the cord that came with the 109 is bad rather than either the port on the 'copter or the USB port. I might try the controller for the 107 on the 109. If it charges then they almost have to be the same. If not, I'll use the new cord and see if the light goes out.

We'll see.
Thanks for the reply-

Terry
I just noticed something- the plug on the cord that came with the 109 is 'slightly' shorter than the one with the 107, AND also shorter than the cord from the controller. This might explain why the light stays on, it's not making contact.
Remember, these are not built like the $100 models. They are built like $25 models.
More later, unless I blow the darned thing up first.
Terry
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:38 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
MaladroitFL's Avatar
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Don (the guy MaladroitFL recommended: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390286871961) returned my email and was very nice. He wanted a picture of the part I needed and would send me a new one....{a pic. lol.}. Well, at least he's a stand up guy and backs up his stuff. Nice contact Maladroit

Mike.
The best part - at least for some of us - is that Don is in Woodbridge VA, so he's never more than 2-3 days away with US Mail carried parts.

He said he's interested in trying to put together a "Patch Package" for fixing those notorious S032's that seem to die after flight #30 or so.
It would be cool to own an Oh-Three-Two!
They seem like the perfect size for indoor, with a little weight if you go outdoors at night. Plus they look great.

If Don had a parts patch that could fix the S032, I'd buy one today!
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:51 PM
White & Nerdy
UbuntuHeli's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Thanks so much

thanks scorp. I was able to fix my heli after so long trying. again, thanks.
UbuntuHeli is offline Find More Posts by UbuntuHeli
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:09 PM
Registered User
scorp's Avatar
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
He said he's interested in trying to put together a "Patch Package" for fixing those notorious S032's that seem to die after flight #30 or so.
It would be cool to own an Oh-Three-Two!
They seem like the perfect size for indoor, with a little weight if you go outdoors at night. Plus they look great.
If Don had a parts patch that could fix the S032, I'd buy one today!
its a good size for outside in calm air since its RF but any "patch package" for it is wishful thinking, motors are way too weak for its size/weight as well as the 3.7v batt so a complete redesign is necessary
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:17 PM
White & Nerdy
UbuntuHeli's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
hello again. does anyone know how much weight an s107 can hold up on top of its own? What helicam would be ok to mount on an s107?
UbuntuHeli is offline Find More Posts by UbuntuHeli
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:40 PM
Registered User
scorp's Avatar
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbuntuHeli View Post
hello again. does anyone know how much weight an s107 can hold up on top of its own? What helicam would be ok to mount on an s107?

not much if you add a keychain cam that would be around 10g added you would not be able to lift off or if you could would only get a min or two of flight, you can drop some weight off your bird based on the ideas in the s107 speedmod threads perhaps 5g decrease at the most so you would still be 5g over stock and quite heavy... there is a sub micro cam however that only weighs 2.5g but is expensive and last time i looked discontinued so if you can find something like that maybe, here is a link

http://www.flytron.com/54-fc-420-25g...pv-camera.html

also some user posted a vid of cam installed s107 some pages back but can't remember who it was, check with him it was after page 300 of this thread i think.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks Dad!
RacerPaul's Avatar
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Feb 2001
222 Posts
After much lurking on this thread, I went an ordered an S107 from Amazon... $27.54 shipped to NY, from a US vendor, 5 day delivery and flew it right out of the box!

Very Pleased!

I had a MsR that I finally sold because I was tired of replacing failed tail motors... HH did replace them free but I was not impressed.

This lil heli flies like stinkl and I can't complain about the price!!

Has anyone really tried to try a keychain camera with one of these??? I would be interested in how to mount it.

Regards

Paul
RacerPaul is offline Find More Posts by RacerPaul
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:55 PM
We can rebuild it!
djdavies83's Avatar
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
Check this video....
Micro RC Helicopter with onboard HD camera (3 min 33 sec)


Also take a look at this thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299428

The canopy weighs 3g, it's quite easy to remove enough weight to compensat for this little camera, I plan on getting one soon.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:10 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,500 Posts
davies, too funny. The cats had that look on their face like..."I don't care"...It didn't even faze them. ROFLMAO
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
not much if you add a keychain cam that would be around 10g added you would not be able to lift off or if you could would only get a min or two of flight, you can drop some weight off your bird based on the ideas in the s107 speedmod threads perhaps 5g decrease at the most so you would still be 5g over stock and quite heavy... there is a sub micro cam however that only weighs 2.5g but is expensive and last time i looked discontinued so if you can find something like that maybe, here is a link

http://www.flytron.com/54-fc-420-25g...pv-camera.html

also some user posted a vid of cam installed s107 some pages back but can't remember who it was, check with him it was after page 300 of this thread i think.
Here is the video by a cam on the S107 which I think you are refering to (a real good video):
Syma S107 +mods +camera (2 min 23 sec)


There is some additional info about the above cam on page 467 Post 7005.
Sailor107 is offline Find More Posts by Sailor107
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 3-channel Micro IR S107 Metal HoneyBee Helicopter No.ES0107 (with Gyro) mictopwin Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 May 09, 2011 01:47 PM
Discussion V-max .vs. Falcon-X .vs. Syma 3 S107? 7immy Mini Helis 12 Apr 07, 2011 04:11 PM
Discussion Mosquito 3CH Radio Control Helicopter Version 2 by Syma Wayno-san Micro Ready-to-Fly 39 Dec 26, 2010 02:36 PM