HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2013, 11:21 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,465 Posts
It looks very good.
I got one of those X-Flight combos..... the motor bearings were rubbish/noisy, just as it came!
So I never used it. And costs more for decent bearings than that motor is worth.

120 Mph.... fast enough for me!!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2013, 05:25 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
It looks very good.
I got one of those X-Flight combos..... the motor bearings were rubbish/noisy, just as it came!
So I never used it. And costs more for decent bearings than that motor is worth.

120 Mph.... fast enough for me!!
Those "rubbish" bearings are holding up fine in a number of my setups. I think the secret is to make sure they are glued into the motor (or they will rotate and rattle) and have the motor & fan balanced separately then dynamically balanced.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old May 08, 2013, 08:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,465 Posts
I can feel the bearing 'graunch' when turned slowly by hand and putting lateral pressure on them. If it was all well balanced then it would reduce that somewhat. And other than that... it could just be used and flogged to its death! LOL
But no plane I do ever gets 'sacrificed' for that, as I don't want any in-flight failures. The plane is worth more than the $20 motor!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2013, 04:25 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,481 Posts
I agree Peter, If your bearings are shot, it's time to change them. The motors I have don't have that problem. They did have loose bearing mounts but that was fixed. The power they produce is perfect for my models in the 3kg range (give or take half a kilo).
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old May 08, 2013, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
I have another xflight set up in my T45 that's whisper quiet , But I think you guys are probably correct because the one that's in my F100 has always been noisy . yeah 120 is fast enough for me too ! But these things are great flying planes , This one is grounded because I'm getting flutter now that I never had before and after looking at the wings I'm getting stress cracks all along the bottom side and the foam skins have debonded so I'm going to cover the bottom of the wings in 1/2 oz fiberglass , Now I'm regretting not putting a spar in it , I guess I'll have to build another one .
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1