Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:41 PM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2000
223 Posts
Discussion
Reinforcing Stick Fuselages

I've always been fascinated by old free flight models and decided to do a couple electric conversations. I bought a couple Pacific Ace kits from Bob Holman. The fuselage is your basic square box framed up from balsa sticks. I was wondering if they would need and sheet reinforcement inside the front portion where the battery and radio will go. I was thinking 1/32 sheet on the 36" Ace and 1/16 on the 50" Ace. Or do I just leave them as originally designed with stick construction. Any words of wisdom here.Thanks
David Pentland is offline Find More Posts by David Pentland
Last edited by David Pentland; Aug 18, 2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Spellin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:51 PM
Umkomaas, South Africa
Joined Mar 2010
215 Posts
Normally around the nose section and to about 50% of the wing chord would be sheeted, I think it was to do with vibration when using an internal combustion engine, but if a battery needs to go into the nose it is a good idea to sheet it to help with strength and also to keep the battery wires etc. from poking holes in the covering.

Have a look at some old-timer plans of internal combustion models to get an idea of how they where sheeted, there are plenty in the plans thread here in the vintage/old-timer forum.

Lionel.
SAslinky is offline Find More Posts by SAslinky
Old Aug 18, 2013, 05:04 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,806 Posts
Yep....but vibration is not the only factor....
The inertia of a battery pack at a (hard) landing, is to be taken seriously, too....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Aug 18, 2013, 05:25 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pentland View Post
I've always been fascinated by old free flight models and decided to do a couple electric conversations. I bought a couple Pacific Ace kits from Bob Holman. The fuselage is your basic square box framed up from balsa sticks. I was wondering if they would need and sheet reinforcement inside the front portion where the battery and radio will go. I was thinking 1/32 sheet on the 36" Ace and 1/16 on the 50" Ace. Or do I just leave them as originally designed with stick construction. Any words of wisdom here.Thanks
On my rubber model to electric R/C conversions I tend to use a minimum of extra sheeting just around undercarriage mountings and right at the front. The battery issue is taken care of by installing an internal platform on which the battery is mounted with velcro, or a box.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2013, 07:55 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
On my rubber model to electric R/C conversions I tend to use a minimum of extra sheeting just around undercarriage mountings and right at the front. The battery issue is taken care of by installing an internal platform on which the battery is mounted with velcro, or a box.
Me too!

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:52 PM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2000
223 Posts
Thanks Guys, I think I'll add a little sheeting tonight.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:04 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,055 Posts
A neat little trick I stole from here was the use of paper gussets on the connections of the sticks. a little paper triangle on the T connections and a diamond on the + connections adds a lot of strength for little weight gain.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:34 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,415 Posts
For example, like this:
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:49 PM
Johnstown, PA
Joined Feb 2004
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Yep....but vibration is not the only factor....
The inertia of a battery pack at a (hard) landing, is to be taken seriously, too....
I've adopted a practice I learned from a nearby club -- and that's to shape the front of the battery compartment as a ramp situated such that on impact the battery pack is directed down and out of the fuselage in stead of through the nose. Might save a lot of repair if the battery has much momentum at crash time.
Al Stein is offline Find More Posts by Al Stein
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:00 PM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2000
223 Posts
I said I was working on a Pacific Ace, I meant Henry Struck's American Ace . The old gas free flight. Anyway I added some 1/32 sheet to the inside of the fuselage sides last night. Now I have to resand all my cross pieces to account for the smaller inside dimension.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:04 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,826 Posts
Seems like a modern brushless and lipo power system and radio control has to weigh a lot less than an old engine with an ignition system! At least if you're not overpowering it.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test