Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:48 PM
Joined Jun 2008
130 Posts
Discussion
Playmate Micro RTF

I just got my Tower Talk catalog today. Hobbico has a 1 ounce FTR plane named the Playmate. . micro EP 2.4Ghz. Only 79.99

Hobbico is fighting back at the DSM2 BnF series. The video on the Tower website looks good. It's not available until mid-November.Looks good to me.

jc
jcccc is offline Find More Posts by jcccc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:20 PM
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2008
103 Posts
I like the charger in the transmitter and the retro styling. Looks like it flies good. Great to see some competition in this area. I'm already using micro DSM2, and of course who knows whether this is DSM2 compatible, or whether it can be capable of becoming a competing generic 2.4 Ghz micro standard, but this will make a nice xmas gift. Wonder what's inside...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=HCAA2550
melkor is offline Find More Posts by melkor
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:47 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,468 Posts
Good to see some competition and more realistic pricing.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:39 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
i dont think its likely to be compatible with dsm as that is a horizon product, this is not.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:23 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jul 2007
416 Posts
Some Parts Pricing Info

Try this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...TE++&search=Go

I've been able to see pricing for the individual parts. It confirms what I was hoping for - they are much lower than what else is out there.

What I find most interesting:
LXYLJ7 Hobbico 3-Ch Rx Micro Control Unit Playmate Micro RTF 34.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYLJ7&P=7

No picture yet, but it appears that it will be the Receiver, ESC, & Servo combo for just under $34.99. Will it ship for less that $5? That would be better.

Frankly, if the part above is what I hope & it works OK, that will be great. If the airframe or the motor + gearbox combo are weak links, I can still build cool planes with this. So much is possible. If it works as it should without major glitching, the only thing left will be for V-Tail mixing or such for Elevon & like type planes.
If the whole plane is good - a whole new wave of folks will be full function RC flying within the next few months. More volume sales will mean more reason to keep the prices down. Interesting times these days.
OkFrst'r is offline Find More Posts by OkFrst'r
Last edited by OkFrst'r; Oct 23, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:25 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,740 Posts
Hmmm, this could get ugly. Imagine being asked by your wife what you would like for Christmas and replying: "I'd like a Playmate, dear". Can you still fly with a black, swollen eye?
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:45 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jul 2007
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot
Hmmm, this could get ugly. Imagine being asked by your wife what you would like for Christmas and replying: "I'd like a Playmate, dear". Can you still fly with a black, swollen eye?
...gonna need a wide open space - depth perception issues will no doubt arise...
("not flying" - not an option.)

However, these could serve as carrying cases (here in the US):
http://www.igloocoolers.com/products...lSize/Playmate

If the plane is as cool as it could be, it could be very fitting.
OkFrst'r is offline Find More Posts by OkFrst'r
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:39 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkFrst'r
Try this:
No picture yet, but it appears that it will be the Receiver, ESC, & Servo combo for just under $34.99. Will it ship for less that $5? That would be better.
I saw the inside of one of these at KIEF. The brick has a small pcb RX with two conventional servos hung off each end on a plastic support piece attached to the pcb. The servo has stacked gears like a conventional servo, so the gears are out in the open on this brick. The motors that drive the servos protrude downwards and just hang into space. In this plane they have molded foam recepticals for the motor. So, the form factor for this "brick" is different than the PZ brick. Doesn't mean it's not a good brick for the money, just that it's different.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:53 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
I got a chance to fly the one at the KEIF meet. It feels very light for it's size, handles great in the air, plenty of power for loops and other R/E maunevers. The propshaft is "sprung" so that the spur gear can slide back off the pinion gear when the plane impacts the nose. I don't like ANY of the small transmitters, and this one was no exception, but it is an overall nice looking plane that is well-done.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:12 PM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson
I saw the inside of one of these at KIEF. The brick has a small pcb RX with two conventional servos hung off each end on a plastic support piece attached to the pcb. The servo has stacked gears like a conventional servo, so the gears are out in the open on this brick. The motors that drive the servos protrude downwards and just hang into space. In this plane they have molded foam recepticals for the motor. So, the form factor for this "brick" is different than the PZ brick. Doesn't mean it's not a good brick for the money, just that it's different.

Gordon
Gordon, is there room for a vapor brick inside of it? The price for the parts and pieces to build a bare fuselage is pretty low.
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:54 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,425 Posts
The brick in the Playmate is long and thin. And, the fuselage is on the thin side too. I suspect the PZ brick might not fit, or might be a very very tight fit. Go, to the picture I posted in the KIEF pics thread. Span of this model is 18 inches, so you may be able to estimate the width of the fuselage from that pic.

Might be able to get a PZ brick in there if you turned it on edge.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 23, 2009, 04:54 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Hi Gordon, The brick weighs 3.8 grams with the battery connector. The motor produces 26 grams of static thrust with the battery and propeller provided on a fresh charge. One of the nice features is how narrow the unit is as it has fit very easily into a number of the models I have posted where other units would not fit. I think you will find it has excellant centering also.

DJ
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Oct 23, 2009, 06:07 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Thanks Gordon, If you don't mind, this thread needs some pics:

Interesting
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
Last edited by Vicarious; Oct 23, 2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 06:31 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
hmm, i hope the polarity is the same on these as the parkzone ones
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 23, 2009, 06:32 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
That transmitter almost looks as small if not smaller than a Plantraco tx. Interesting plane indeed, but it looks kinda cheap to me. I think I'd rather spend a few more bucks and go the Parkzone route.

EDIT: It does look like it flys well though.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc