Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 06, 2009, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2007
17 Posts
Question
Parkzone Etomic dsm2 transmitter?

Is the transmitter supplied with the Ember 2 a 3-channel or is the 4th channel enabled? Thanx!
pushpole is offline Find More Posts by pushpole
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2009, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2007
17 Posts
More searching revealed it is a 4 channel X-mitter. thanx for the views!
pushpole is offline Find More Posts by pushpole
Old Jul 06, 2009, 03:22 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I think it is actually 5 or 6 channels, there are a couple of threads about it scattered around.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:40 PM
Nuvolera (Italy)
Joined Jul 2007
644 Posts
Sorry to post in a old thread, but I can't find more info about this TX.

Can someone help me?

Thans in advance,
Egidio
egicar is online now Find More Posts by egicar
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:02 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,940 Posts
The Ember transmitter appears to be just another version of the DSM2 transmitter supplied with the Hobbyzone Champ and E-Flite mSR.

(Note that the micro Cessna and possibly some early versions of the Ember had a different and incompatible 2.4 radio system.)

In practical terms the DSM2 transmitters are four channel. The references to three channel in the literature relate to the receiver.

The transmitters do also provide a signal on channel 5 to control dual rate at the receiver in the mSR, but this is activated by pressing the stick and is not useful for other purposes.

Although you may see references to a mode switch, this only changes the channel assignments. Unlike most transmitters, it is very difficult to switch the centering and friction arrangements between sticks. Indeed, the only way to do it is to unsolder the stick assemblies and interchange them, not at all an easy thing to do.

Do you have other questions?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Aug 28, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:59 AM
Nuvolera (Italy)
Joined Jul 2007
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The Ember transmitter appears to be just another version of the DSM2 transmitter supplied with the Hobbyzone Champ and E-Flite mSR.

(Note that the micro Cessna and possibly some early versions of the Ember had a different and incompatible 2.4 radio system.)

In practical terms the DSM2 transmitters are four channel. The references to three channel in the literature relate to the receiver.

The transmitters do also provide a signal on channel 5 to control dual rate at the receiver in the mSR, but this is activated by pressing the stick and is not useful for other purposes.

Although you may see references to a mode switch, this only changes the channel assignments. Unlike most transmitters, it is very difficult to switch the centering and friction arrangements between sticks. Indeed, the only way to do it is to unsolder the stick assemblies and interchange them, not at all an easy thing to do.

Do you have other questions?
Thank you very much!
May I found an instruction manual? In my Vapor box there are no instructions about the TX.
Last edited by egicar; Aug 29, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:19 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egicar View Post
Yhnk you very much!
May I found an instruction manual? In my Vapor box there are no instructions about the TX.
Here is the Night Vapor instruction manual

It says how to reverse channels in the RTF TX, etc.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:13 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,940 Posts
Everything depends on which Ember you have. Or whether you actually have a Vapor, as your post suggests.

There were two versions of the Ember. The first had a radio that was NOT DSM2. I've seen it referred to as DSM, but I'm not sure about that. It was the same radio as in the Cessna. Not compatible with DSM2.

The second, clearly distinguished by 2 on the wing, is DSM2 and radio is similar to the Vapor.

The original Ember is referred to here:
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdId=PKZ3200

The Ember 2 manual is here:
http://parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Files/PKZ3400-Manual.pdf

Here's an article:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1116
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:46 PM
Nuvolera (Italy)
Joined Jul 2007
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Here is the Night Vapor instruction manual

It says how to reverse channels in the RTF TX, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Everything depends on which Ember you have. Or whether you actually have a Vapor, as your post suggests.

There were two versions of the Ember. The first had a radio that was NOT DSM2. I've seen it referred to as DSM, but I'm not sure about that. It was the same radio as in the Cessna. Not compatible with DSM2.

The second, clearly distinguished by 2 on the wing, is DSM2 and radio is similar to the Vapor.

The original Ember is referred to here:
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdId=PKZ3200

The Ember 2 manual is here:
http://parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Files/PKZ3400-Manual.pdf

Here's an article:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1116
Thanks a lot UNGN and again Daedalus66!!!
Mine is DSM2, bought with a Vapor BNF
I would use it for a Miniswift for my son. It will be his first plane ;-).
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egicar View Post
Thanks a lot UNGN and again Daedalus66!!!
Mine is DSM2, bought with a Vapor BNF
I would use it for a Miniswift for my son. It will be his first plane ;-).
I would think twice about both the transmitter and the model. The transmitter is a low power unit suitable for micro models (like the Champ mentioned below). Larger models are likely to fly out of its range.

The Micro Swift is quite a hot little model, not a basic trainer.

You'd do better with something like the Hobbyzone Champ for a micro model to fly in calm condition only, which is about $85 RTF. Or the Hobbyzone Super Cub LP RTF, which comes with a real full range transmitter (DX4e) for $200.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:41 PM
Nuvolera (Italy)
Joined Jul 2007
644 Posts
Hi Daedalus66,

thanks for your tips, but I already have a Vapor and my son (11 years) can drive it "almost well". If he will take more passion in RC planes (he doesn't like helicopters - my passion), I'll buy a 2nd hand DX6i.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:13 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,084 Posts
Egidio,

When we moved to Illinois my youngest son could barely fly. He and I moved here together about 3 weeks before my wife and other children.

We lived about 3km from the model field, and to keep himself busy during the days he would carry his model (an EasyStar), radio, and some tools to the field. He would fly as much as possible, at lunch I would visit the airfield and bring him food/drinks and help him fix anything "too broken" to do himself. Lots of times he got help from the Hobbico guys who would be there doing their testing.

By the time the rest of my family arrived, he was pretty good. Then he totally lost interest. I guess we all go through phases in life.

My point is, if he's enjoying it, encourage him! if he stops enjoying it, don't push him but keep it available to him.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:12 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Egidio,

When we moved to Illinois my youngest son could barely fly. He and I moved here together about 3 weeks before my wife and other children.

We lived about 3km from the model field, and to keep himself busy during the days he would carry his model (an EasyStar), radio, and some tools to the field. He would fly as much as possible, at lunch I would visit the airfield and bring him food/drinks and help him fix anything "too broken" to do himself. Lots of times he got help from the Hobbico guys who would be there doing their testing.

By the time the rest of my family arrived, he was pretty good. Then he totally lost interest. I guess we all go through phases in life.

My point is, if he's enjoying it, encourage him! if he stops enjoying it, don't push him but keep it available to him.

Andy
You did far better than me - I couldn't get either of my kids interested - all about screens (TV, gaming, IM, phone texting).
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:05 PM
Nuvolera (Italy)
Joined Jul 2007
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Egidio,

Andy
Hi Andy,

I have the same your point of view.
I haven't planes (only the Vapor, but I don't use it) and I don't like them (I prefer helicopters), but I've seen my son (he hates my helicopters ) playing planes with RealFlight and he likes them very much. When I go out to fly my helis, he don't want to go with me, but in these days I have tooken also my Vapor and he asked me if we could go together to fly . I was very happy (my Vapor not so much ).
So, I asked him if he would like to have his own plane to fly together and he was enthusiastic about this idea.
I do not expect anything, but if this is an opportunity to do something together, so be it.
That's why I don't want to spend too much money now. In Italy, we say: se sono rose, fioriranno (if they are roses, they will flourish).

Ciao,
Egidio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
You did far better than me - I couldn't get either of my kids interested - all about screens (TV, gaming, IM, phone texting).
You must not lose heart: sometimes opportunities come without warning and in the most strange way.

Ciao,
Egidio
Last edited by egicar; Aug 30, 2011 at 03:13 PM.