HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2015, 08:15 PM
Fly hard with a vengeance.
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
908 Posts
Question
Giant foamies

Hi, all. I'm tossing around the idea of building a giant foamie (3m span, 120") for a school project, but I only have experience in the 1-1.5m range. What I usually do is score the inside of the LE and fold the foam over a former, and the former has dowels or CF tubes embedded in the top and bottom for strength. The wing forms an airfoil on its own.
How would the construction techniques differ at this big scale? I assume I will need ribs to hold an airfoil and to make hard points out of ply for when things intersect, but I don't know too much beyond that. The wings will probably break in half for transport, does anything special need to be done at the joint? How do you make torsionally stiff control surfaces that don't flap around? How do the right angle mountings of the tail feathers usually work? What is the best way to brace against wing flutter?
Thanks in advance for the help, and please fill me in on any other categories I should know about.

Oh, and what ballpark of wattage should be needed if this will be a slow flyer type? I'm thinking 750-1000 watts.
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
Last edited by RPM314; Feb 27, 2015 at 06:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,235 Posts
What type of foam ?

What sort of plane ?

There are already a few 'biggies' in the Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum, but they may be a little difficult to search for.

There was/is a model called Pink Floyd that was made very large 24ft span

Here's some pictures of it and other large foam models --

Google Image search on Pink Floyd RC foam plane
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,235 Posts
Found one that may be of interest, bit over 3m span --

Giant Parkflyer Foamy
Old Today, 02:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
What type of foam ?

What sort of plane ?

There are already a few 'biggies' in the Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum, but they may be a little difficult to search for.

There was/is a model called Pink Floyd that was made very large 24ft span

Here's some pictures of it and other large foam models --

Google Image search on Pink Floyd RC foam plane
Foam is 6mm MPF. I cannot tell you what type of plane it will be yet since we will decide that democratically as a class. It will likely be a high wing conventional plane, though.
Old Today, 02:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
908 Posts
That blue foam parkflyer was cool, but of a way lower weight class than what we're thinking of.
Old Today, 03:30 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM314 View Post
Oh, and what ballpark of wattage should be needed if this will be a slow flyer type? I'm thinking 750-1000 watts.

That blue foam parkflyer was cool, but of a way lower weight class than what we're thinking of.
Slow flying is mostly about light weight, (low wing loading), the power is basically immaterial at this stage, even a glider can fly slowly.
Old Today, 08:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
908 Posts
Hrmmm....
Maybe I should have said parkflyer, I want it to handle analogous to the standard 1100mm Trojan trainer since most of my classmates have never flown before. (~200 watts at that scale)