HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

AMA's Response to the FAA's Memo

"The Academy is extremely disappointed and troubled by the approach the FAA has chosen to take in regards to this issue."

Splash

AMA Press Release

Yesterday the AMA released a response letter detailing their position on the recent FAA Memo. The 2 page letter discusses the AMA's incredible safety record and references the Congressional Special Rule for Model Aircraft enacted in 2012 that protects the modeling community from regulations such as those proposed by the FAA. The AMA states that they intend to pursue all avenues possible in order prevent this rule from the FAA being enacted.

Read the AMA's Response Letter in full here.

Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:58 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,112 Posts
This is good. I guess the mutual FAA/AMA statement of warm and fuzzy is void?

Good to know they realize when they're forced into something of a confrontational role. AMA just rose several notches in my book.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jun 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:43 AM
dry your eyes and go fly
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2013
892 Posts
what does it all mean
joe559 is online now Find More Posts by joe559
Last edited by joe559; Jun 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:34 PM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Jul 2001
203 Posts
send comments to FAA

go here: http://www.regulations.gov

and type in FAA-2014-0396 in search field and post comments to the FAA regarding this potential ruling.

Im not generally active in these policy matters but if no one steps up then we are going to lose our ability to fly FPV which many enjoy in a safe and responsible manner.
jared salbato is offline Find More Posts by jared salbato
Old Jun 25, 2014, 01:03 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
585 Posts
Quote:
AMA just rose several notches in my book.
Same here!

I've never been a fan of flying clubs, but perhaps I should look a little closer after this.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jun 25, 2014, 01:19 PM
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,843 Posts
I think AMA has always hoped for the best and planned for the worst. They are not stupid or naive. They tried to maintain a professional working relationship with the FAA and to move forward in a positive manner. The FAA continued to smile to their faces while then turning around and stabbing us in the back. "Well, we tried" I think is how the AMA is looking at it now. I suspect that AMA will ramp up efforts to push back and I expect to see more than just this initial memo. They've know all along that more drastic action was likely going to be required.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jun 25, 2014, 01:48 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
784 Posts
If you haven't already gotten/renewed your AMA membership, now is as good of time as ever...
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 25, 2014, 02:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
i never expected them to lift a finger. their powers may be limited but since they're at least trying, i just joined their ranks. $43 and there will be some sort of magazine as well
fpvwannabe is offline Find More Posts by fpvwannabe
Old Jun 25, 2014, 02:39 PM
Joined Jul 2013
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvwannabe View Post
i never expected them to lift a finger. their powers may be limited but since they're at least trying, i just joined their ranks. $43 and there will be some sort of magazine as well
It's a nice magazine, you'll like it
RacingJake is offline Find More Posts by RacingJake
Old Jun 25, 2014, 02:56 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
273 Posts
I havnt been a member for several years. I am now though.
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Jun 25, 2014, 03:13 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
I've never been a member, although I've been heavily into all things RC for 20+ years now (the last 10 years flying FPV almost exclusively).

But the fact that the AMA is stepping up to fight this makes me seriously consider joining.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jun 25, 2014, 05:04 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,875 Posts
I suggest everyone join, the fight has only begun and AMA membership growing will help the cause.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jun 25, 2014, 05:35 PM
United States, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Aug 2013
8 Posts
I didn't realize that they would be a lobby to look out for us, guess I'll have to join too. Trust me, having an organization to stand up to legislators in times like this is the only hope to have a voice in this government.
maranello993 is offline Find More Posts by maranello993
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:19 PM
Team White Llama
USA, IL, Mundelein
Joined Mar 2005
1,100 Posts
Longtime AMA member, and flying club member.

They are our only hope atm.
thefokker is online now Find More Posts by thefokker
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:25 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,774 Posts
e-mail I received:

Dear Ed,
On Monday, June 23rd, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) released an Interpretive Rule in which it presented FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft" established by Congress in the FAA modernization and Reform Act of 2012. The Academy has reviewed the rule and is extremely disappointed and troubled by the approach the FAA has chosen to take in regards to this issue
In its Press Release the FAA stated it was, "issuing the notice to provide clear guidance to model operators on the "do's and don'ts" of flying safely in accordance with the Act and to answer many of the questions it has received regarding the scope and application of the rules." It also stated, "(this) guidance comes after recent incidents involving the reckless use of unmanned model aircraft near airports and involving large crowds of people." It's important to note that very few of these cases have been factually documented and not a single incident was shown to involve a member of the AMA or to be connected in any way to modeling operations conducted under the auspices of the special rule.
In AMA's response to the rule it was pointed out that, "The FAA interpretive rule effectively negates Congress' intentions, and is contrary to the law. Section 336(a) of the Public Law states that, 'the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft...', this interpretive rule specifically addresses model aircraft, effectively establishes rules that model aircraft were not previously subject to and is in direct violation of the congressional mandate in the 2012 FAA reauthorization bill."
AMA has voiced its opposition to FAA's action and will pursue all available recourse to dissuade enactment of this rule. It's important that every AMA member becomes involved in the effort.
The first step is to respond to the public comment period established in the notice. Look for a follow-up email from AMA with information on how to respond to the FAA notice. This is your opportunity to express your views and to comment on various aspects of the Interpretive Rule. It's important for the Administration to know that this rule significantly impacts the entire aeromodeling community and that this community is resolute and committed to protecting the hobby. In this case silence IS NOT golden.
Please alert your friends, family members and fellow modelers regarding this issue.
Thank you,
AMA Government Relations
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost