New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Majortomski
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,831 Posts
Discussion
Are scale modelers different? Why do we pay attention to detail?

I have been building plastic and flying scale models since 1959. I have very little trouble identifying a particular airplane, its era or its country of origin.

I was looking at the National Museum of the United States Air Force's Face Book page and they have a weekly identification challenge.

https://www.facebook.com/AFmuseum/ph..._t=photo_reply

Why do people have a hard time even getting close to what the aircraft actually is?

Or worse yet once you PROOVE what it is why do they continue to give wrong answers?
Majortomski is online now Find More Posts by Majortomski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2015, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Joined Jan 2009
1,757 Posts
1. Because much of history, and aviation history in particular, is often more about popular myth and mercenary agendas, rather than a reasonable discussion leading to a greater understanding of factual historical incidences.

2. People, even modelers, tend to crave and thrive on negativity. Note some of the early responses/attacks to observations about certain William Wylam drawings, over on the "Scale drawings and 3-view forum", here on RC Groups!!!

3. While a model is the personal manifestation of an individual modeler's vision, and we can celebrate the achievement, a scale model, by its very nature goes beyond a sport model. It fairly begs to judged for it's IMPLIED accuracy. If not in formal competition, but more among modelers interested in scale.

I've worked in custom cars, custom homes and ful scale aircraft restoration. The motivations and excuses are exactly the same as we see in modeldom.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 01, 2015, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by Kansaskiller
Splitter
Joined Nov 2014
129 Posts
Everybody knows a lot about something. Your particular knowledge of aircraft may be better than mine, and I might know more about civil engineering than you. (maybe)

If you are not teaching them, then they are left to their own devices.
I happen to enjoy learning about different aircraft through general conversation and questions on this website.
I don't know all the answers, but I have a good idea where to start looking.

Oh, by the way, I am wrong sometimes. But don't tell anybody.
KansasKiller (damn splitter)
Kansaskiller is online now Find More Posts by Kansaskiller
Old Jul 01, 2015, 06:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,757 Posts
I thought I made a mistake, once... but I was wrong.
Old Jul 03, 2015, 07:30 AM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
10,604 Posts
Following along with the "negativity" aspect, I've done Hot Rods that placed in the top 15 winner's circle (in a round -up of 4,200 cars), and watched as people microscopically inspected it...They are always so happy when they find a chip in the paint........"WHAT HAPPENED HERE ?" is the never failing question, with that grin that says "gotcha !'

I build scale model airplanes for my satisfaction.never for theirs....We try to make our inner self happy-
I 'judge' your handiwork with an appreciation, never with a purpose to search out flaws....

Oh- we place the screw slots on a 45 degree angle now...every body's happy.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Balsa cowls
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,757 Posts
I think scale modelers are different because they quite often have an appreciation for the real objects their models are meant to emulate.

This does not elevate them above their fellow modelers. However I have come to believe non-scale modelers often think scale modelers see themselves as superior.

Is my experience mistaken in this regard? Possibly. But I would like to know why others often seem offended or pull from back from heretofore pleasant commradery and conversation, when I simply mention "I like scale", "I'm into scale models" and/or " I prefer flying models in a scale like manner?". At first I thought it was me. My approach possibly too gruff? Possibly taken as rude?? However I've come to the conclusion it seems to be the subject itself and not necessarily my delivery. " Scale" is, IMHO, somehow perceived as threatening.
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
10,604 Posts
There are so many scale modelers that will do the extra effort to add scale details,too.

I mostly build scale, and guys will say-"I can't see putting that much work into it". To me it isn't 'work' but one more building pleasure.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Balsa cowls
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by whiskykid
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,977 Posts
I would probably consider myself a "sport scale" kinda guy, if it looks like a real plane! "the shape of" then I am happy!
I add a lil extra too the next plane I build!

I do very much enjoy looking at a nicely built scale model! luckily for me, there are the modelers that take the time, too go that step above!

there are the builders, who just build a very clean and strait model, and are happy with that!

and I would like too say, that not all of us are scratch, or even kit builders, I have seen a few ARF's stripped down, and taken up a few notches!

we all have that "level of scale" for which we will settle for nothing less!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by ace4rc
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,339 Posts
I believe scale modelers have a stronger love of aircraft and the idea of the freedom of flight brought years ago. Whereas others are more entertained with just putting one up. But I also believe some just are not capable to do what scale builders do, some can't even build, but it does not diminish my thoughts towards anyone in this hobby. I like and appreciate al the forms of flight available even though I may not take part in many of them. I also believe for many that don't and or can't build there is a bit of envy or jealousy. Last night I was talking with a pilot whom photographs aerial events and even he was a bit taken with the ability to build what I was showing. The actual pilot who flew the model I built mine after was even amazed and could not believe the amount of accurate detail. She also said she can't wait until I put her on the buddy box to fly it. Her words were, "I can't believe I get to fly my Eagle again".

So, yes, us scale builders are a bit different! Why? For the pure joy of the build, seeing the blank look on the envious, the delight of the onlooker, and seeing the full scale pilot act like a kid again.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc