SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by rainyday101
Rough Landing
Joined Jun 2015
2 Posts
Discussion
New Scratchbuilt- First Flight in 25 Years!

Back flying after a 25 year break. The difference now is that I have three kids to teach also.

We bought two radios a Tactic 610 and a Tactic 650. Both are very nice radios.

I never thought I would build one of them ugly not balsa foamies. It really shouldn't be in the air unless it's made of balsa. With three kids to teach I changed my mind and thought it would be okay for just a short while to build and fly some Dollar Tree foamies. Now that , I am amy first foam build is done and flying- I am a foam addict!

Our first plane was the FliteTest Tiny Trainer. We now have over a dozen flights on it and it is still flying. All three kids at ages 6, 9, and 16 have flown it. This is one amazing little aircraft. On the first flight I hand launched and it just climbed out straight and steady. Trimmed it out and just started flying. This plane is almost indestructible. My middle son hit a gravel driveway at about 60 degree angle from about 40 feet up at full throttle. Before we walked over there I knew it was not going to be good from my balsa days. The only thing wrong was a broken prop, some slightly compressed foam on the front of the fuse, and the engine pod was loose. We were flying again in about 10 minutes after a little help from the hot glue gun. We have had some rough landings, broke some props, but just keep flying the heck out this plane. The FliteTest wing design is amazingly simple and tough as armor. I am impressed with foamies now!

We are currently building a Cheap and Easy and another Tiny Trainer with no removable engine pod and a slightly larger fuse.

I am thinking it will be a long time if ever before I build another balsa plane. This list of Dollar Tree foamies I want to build just keeps getting longer and longer.

I'm thinking I might have to build a Nutball before I go to sleep.....
rainyday101 is offline Find More Posts by rainyday101
Last edited by rainyday101; Jun 27, 2015 at 10:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,642 Posts
Welcome to the foam side, guy!

Sounds like you're hooked, but still take a look at the 600+ planes thread at top of this forum. There are examples of every type of plane from wierd shapes to nearly scale birds, all sizes and genres as well. Foam is the 21st century material!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by rainyday101
Rough Landing
Joined Jun 2015
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Welcome to the foam side, guy!

Sounds like you're hooked, but still take a look at the 600+ planes thread at top of this forum. There are examples of every type of plane from wierd shapes to nearly scale birds, all sizes and genres as well. Foam is the 21st century material!
Thanks Springer the 600+ planes thread is why my list of "to builds" is a mile long! In the big scheme of things these great foamies are pretty inexpensive! I am beyond hooked, I am addicted to foam! You don't need a ton of space or tools for foamies. I just bought a Rockwell Blade Runner table top saw that is perfect for ripping, cross cutting, or scrolling any plywood. This is a really great little do all saw for hobbyist.
rainyday101 is offline Find More Posts by rainyday101
Old Jun 28, 2015, 03:52 AM
Find More Posts by PGregory
Now I have to land that thing?
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2014
603 Posts
Yup, and the fear of crashing is so low, it gives you a chance to get good faster, easier, and cheaper. On top of that it is nice to fly a product of your handiwork.

It's all good - balsa and wet fuel planes still have their place, but foam material, techiques and tools have come a long way.

See you at the field,
Poughkeepsie Pete
PGregory is online now Find More Posts by PGregory