SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by brad24
Joined May 2010
39 Posts
Discussion
Step up from Walkera Super CP

Hello all, I'm looking for a step up from my Walkera Super CP. It's a little beat up and had been retired for some time now as I managed to run all 4 batteries into the ground. I just ordered some new batteries just to get some practice, but now that Walkera is out of the picture for single rotors, I'm looking to get a new radio and a more robust heli.

I originally wanted a DX6i and a MCPX BL or have recently found the HCP100S, but am thinking it may be too similar to the Super CP. My main issue with the Super CP was a lack of power when trying to do flips, rolls, or stay inverted hovering (issues with the main shaft (?) where I would have way more thrust upright than inverted). As well, the tail seemed to blow out a little, and it was just pretty wispy overall in the wind. I really like the 180CFX but am thinking it may not be the best to learn 3D on... Is there any other heli that flies like a bigger bird (like the 180CFX) that is more durable? I realize this is the constant conundrum, wanting to have big heli performance but still have a level of crashability.

What's the move here if I'm wanting something that flies with more authority in slight wind and more power to feel confident in learning basic 3D - the locked in tail look of the 180CFX doing back to back flips looks SO much more solid than trying to do back to back flips on the Super CP - just not possible for me. As soon as I'd do 1 rotation the tail would be not where I intended and it was like its about to fall out of the sky when it gets upside down. Should I just get a brushless micro(with tail motor) to learn 3D on and deal with the tail issues? Or go 180CFX with servo saver mod and try not to crash / lots of sim time? Or 130X used? V120D02S doesn't seem smart now that Walkera is out of the single rotor game... Would like to get a versatile and reusable radio like the DX6i Are there any other options?

Thanks!
brad24 is offline Find More Posts by brad24
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2015, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by TooTall
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,551 Posts
are you against something larger or have the room to fly ..the 300 cfx BNF would pair up well the DX6i
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Jun 23, 2015, 06:24 PM
Joined May 2010
39 Posts
While I want to take it to a nearby park to fly, I also want to be able to fly in smaller areas around my apartment complex... As well, the 300CFX is more expensive and I'd assume considerably less crashable, although the crash reports of the 180CFX are beginning to worry me... I feel like a HCP100S or MCPX BL would handle much the same as a Super CP but with more power, and I'm wary of buying a V120D02S (almost did a while back) due to Walkera no longer being in the CP game... Any other options / opinions? What are you guys flying these days?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by jamichx
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad24 View Post
While I want to take it to a nearby park to fly, I also want to be able to fly in smaller areas around my apartment complex... As well, the 300CFX is more expensive and I'd assume considerably less crashable, although the crash reports of the 180CFX are beginning to worry me... I feel like a HCP100S or MCPX BL would handle much the same as a Super CP but with more power, and I'm wary of buying a V120D02S (almost did a while back) due to Walkera no longer being in the CP game... Any other options / opinions? What are you guys flying these days?
Anything with more power will have bad crashes. Your heli will spend most of the time on the bench waiting to be repaired. Why don't you get simulator and learn on it. There is no way you can learn 3d on real heli without many many many crashes.

SCP is actually very good for inverted flight training. If you can not handle it I doubt you will be able to handle other helicopters. How good are you actually in flying SCP ? What is your experience ?

Here is video of stock Mini Cp which is nearly the same heli as Super CP.

Walkera Mini Cp indoor 3d flight (3 min 51 sec)

Do you still think your SCP is not good enough for training ?
jamichx is offline Find More Posts by jamichx
Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by weedan
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
416 Posts
Blade Nano cpx is a great little flyer, drop in the brushless main motor and it about the best 100 and smaller out there. If you can deviate your walkera tx you have all you need
weedan is offline Find More Posts by weedan
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:57 AM
Joined May 2010
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamichx View Post
Anything with more power will have bad crashes. Your heli will spend most of the time on the bench waiting to be repaired. Why don't you get simulator and learn on it. There is no way you can learn 3d on real heli without many many many crashes.

SCP is actually very good for inverted flight training. If you can not handle it I doubt you will be able to handle other helicopters. How good are you actually in flying SCP ? What is your experience ?

Here is video of stock Mini Cp which is nearly the same heli as Super CP.

https://youtu.be/NeitOnuPsQ4

Do you still think your SCP is not good enough for training ?
Yeah I've seen that video before, was always very impressed by it. I was pretty proficient with the Super CP; I could fly / land in all orientations and was somewhat solid at figure 8's. I know the Super CP is a great inverted trainer, I was able to hover inverted pretty well on it, but it had an issue where it would easily gain altitude when upright, but would require 90%+ throttle to stay hovering inverted, so there was almost no room for error when flipping it. This had to do with slop in the main shaft / collar and where the zero position of the servos was relative to the main shaft. I'd move the shaft a little, then it would have hardly any upright thrust but tons of inverted thrust, etc. and this would change often with minor TH crashes into grass. I mainly just wanted something new to start over with, but with my new batteries coming, I'll be tinkering with the SCP again tomorrow.

I'm trying to get my Devo 7E working with a free PC sim through USB although all the forum posts I see are pretty confusing and require previous knowledge of deviation. I use an android simulator with a PS3 controller (same stick setup as a TX) and the physics on it look roughly the same as the free PC sims I've seen on youtube. I can fly and flip around on that for an hour without crashing, but obviously sims are far easier.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:45 AM
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
947 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I've seen that video before, was always very impressed by it. I was pretty proficient with the Super CP; I could fly / land in all orientations and was somewhat solid at figure 8's. I know the Super CP is a great inverted trainer, I was able to hover inverted pretty well on it, but it had an issue where it would easily gain altitude when upright, but would require 90%+ throttle to stay hovering inverted, so there was almost no room for error when flipping it. This had to do with slop in the main shaft / collar and where the zero position of the servos was relative to the main shaft. I'd move the shaft a little, then it would have hardly any upright thrust but tons of inverted thrust, etc. and this would change often with minor TH crashes into grass. I mainly just wanted something new to start over with, but with my new batteries coming, I'll be tinkering with the SCP again tomorrow.I get it no need to post pictures though I know exactly what to do. I guess bridge over resistor would be good specially if you want to revert it at some point.
This is because you did not have it setup properly. You have to have zero pitch at mid-stick and same positive and negative pitch. At Mid-stick the swash plate has to be exactly in the middle. The collar slipping problem can be easily sorted by glue. I use it and it never sips.

Quote:
I'm trying to get my Devo 7E working with a free PC sim through USB although all the forum posts I see are pretty confusing and require previous knowledge of deviation. I use an android simulator with a PS3 controller (same stick setup as a TX) and the physics on it look roughly the same as the free PC sims I've seen on youtube. I can fly and flip around on that for an hour without crashing, but obviously sims are far easier.
I use my Devo 7E with RC Phoenix. I only needed to buy USB dongle from ebay. One of these will do http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Flight...item56607dcc78

I use the old devo firmware with RC phoenix sim. I could not get it working on Deviation Software but it does not matter to me as I have two devo 7e radios
Old Jun 24, 2015, 01:57 PM
Joined May 2010
39 Posts
yeah, I messed around with the servo travel and pitch settings and tried to level it to be perfectly even at mid stick but it always seemed to be slipping around even after extremely mild crashes in tall grass... I'm getting 5 new batteries tomorrow so I'll grab a little tube of super glue and get it sorted out. That's probably my best bet before investing in anything else haha, thanks for the advice! I'd rather be able to use one of the free sims, but I may look into getting phoenix and the adapter... The android sim I was using looks nearly identical in physics judging by youtube videos.... is using that with a PS3 controller a terrible solution? direction wise, it should be the same, it will just feel a little different with the PS3 analog sticks vs the TX sticks I'd think...
Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:08 PM
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
947 Posts
Quote:
yeah, I messed around with the servo travel and pitch settings and tried to level it to be perfectly even at mid stick but it always seemed to be slipping around even after extremely mild crashes in tall grass... I'm getting 5 new batteries tomorrow so I'll grab a little tube of super glue and get it sorted out. That's probably my best bet before investing in anything else haha, thanks for the advice! I'd rather be able to use one of the free sims, but I may look into getting phoenix and the adapter... The android sim I was using looks nearly identical in physics judging by youtube videos.... is using that with a PS3 controller a terrible solution? direction wise, it should be the same, it will just feel a little different with the PS3 analog sticks vs the TX sticks I'd think...
Just remember do not put too much glue on it. Just a little drop where collar is touching the shaft.

With the setting up the swash it takes some time to get it right but trust me it can be done. The most important it to know what you are doing. There are many videos on youtube about how to do it.
Old Jul 01, 2015, 10:21 AM
Joined May 2010
39 Posts
So it looks like idle up is no longer working on the Super CP without the tail spinning wildly out of control.

I'm kind of set against the Nano CPX as I've flown one before and the lack of power in brushed mode and overall squirrely nature of it doesn't really seem like a step up. The newest version of the T-REX 150DFC with the metal swash and upgraded frame looks really promising in that it looks to be a better flying MCPX BL but may still crash ok over grass. It's about the same price as a 180CFX though (on ebay you can get the 150DFC combo with 2 batteries for about 20 bucks less than a 180CFX with 6 batteries) - I'm sure the 180CFX flies better, but it would require significantly more repair time after a similar crash right? The MCPX BL seems decent, but my MSR fried the whole board after a crash, and I know the MCPX BL has board issues...

Is the 150DFC with metal swash worth paying the 180CFX price for if I'm wanting to learn 3D and fly outside without having to worry about significant rebuilds after minor crashes? Or does it fly significantly worse to just warrant going with the 180?
Old Jul 02, 2015, 02:07 AM
Find More Posts by ChespiIker
Mexico, Tamaulipas, Tampico
Joined Jun 2014
1,525 Posts
I have two I50s....upgraded MH and Lynx swashplates on both....at 230 and 250 usd a little too expensive...they are very nice, but do not crash well....upgraded one to red al. CF body to avoid boom swagger...I do have two Nanos with Blade BL main motor upgrade...a pleasure to fly, best in its size....I would re-consider the Nano with BL upgrade or the bigger size MCPX BL at 180 usd currently, on sale.....the Mcpx BL and the 150 are approx. same size.....you might also consider the Hisky 100s, cheaper at first, expensive in the long run, but mine came with many many issues to fix....In sum, I would go with the Mcpx BL at 180....usd at Amain, probably now with an extra 4th of July discount....The 180 would be the next step after the Mcpx BL as its orientation is too much on hard core 3D flying....bigger, so it will crash worse in terms of repairs....and you have to deal with esc with governor...good if you know, extra work if you do not...
ChespiIker is offline Find More Posts by ChespiIker
Old Jul 03, 2015, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,954 Posts
Mcp-X bl is more durable than 180 CF-X and has alot of power. 150 DFC very little about them. Expensive and expensive batteries. Nothing is bullet proof and Megamicros fixes boards for $25.00. Want to fly more agressive 3 D its goinbg to cost. even 180 has bunch of issues.
I like V120 with HP08s one cell motor, but 3 D is not my big desire. It has alot more power than my bl Mini c/p but also not as durable. HCP 100s is a kit heli. It was pushed out before it was ready and not much has been done to improve it.
They added alot more power to what they had and has same main gear as brushed 100 c/p. Some like it but again its a parts eater.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04