New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2015, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Joined Apr 2012
236 Posts
Twin Mentor??

What ever happened to the Twin Mentor? Have a new one in the basement with a extra wing. Someone was going to have wing pods for sale. Sure would like to get started on it. If anyone has info. on it let me know. Thanks Buck
Buck Shot is offline Find More Posts by Buck Shot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,675 Posts
SUNSQUINT was the one with the pods and such, might try a PM to him.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Joined Apr 2012
236 Posts
Thanks for the info. Buck
Buck Shot is offline Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Old Apr 16, 2015, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by cbinfl
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
169 Posts
A quick question about the Mentor. Looking through the photos I don't see anyone added wing struts ? I have them on my Funcub and really like them. For one thing they stop a lot of ballooning when the throttle is added. I discovered this one morning when I forgot to bring them.

I just ordered a Mentor from Tower Hobby about an hour ago. Plane won't be hear till 23-27 with free shipping, and I'm thinking about some mods and paint.

Thanks for any advise,

Charlie
cbinfl is offline Find More Posts by cbinfl
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by xmech2k
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,285 Posts
The Mentor wings are solid, I don't think there's a need for struts. If your Fun Cub is ballooning with throttle maybe it needs more down-thrust? But search for the Mentor aluminum motor mount. You'll be wanting one of those to help reduce vibration.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Apr 17, 2015, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
2,133 Posts
Hi Charles,

IMHO, Mentor does not need any mod - she flies straight off the box but follow instructions correctly.

Check CG before flying.

There is no need to add any flaps - just hold the nose slightly up, she will sink slowly for nice touch down.

3s Lipo is sufficient.

Only mod I've done is used a closed loop for rudder as I always do for all my models.

She is one of my favourite models and without any shadow of doubts, an excellent workhorse

She is as easy as flying EFlite Super Cub except Mentor has a massive presence in the air.

Cheers

I used artistic acrylic paint ( flourescence orange) with a paint brush for painting her fin and rudder as well as wing tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinfl View Post
A quick question about the Mentor. Looking through the photos I don't see anyone added wing struts ? I have them on my Funcub and really like them. For one thing they stop a lot of ballooning when the throttle is added. I discovered this one morning when I forgot to bring them.

I just ordered a Mentor from Tower Hobby about an hour ago. Plane won't be hear till 23-27 with free shipping, and I'm thinking about some mods and paint.

Thanks for any advise,

Charlie
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2009
169 Posts
Thanks for the comments. My thoughts on struts are strictly for looks. Another question is power? I have the motor setup from my unsuccessful excursion into 3D flying, namely a Torque 2814 / 820rpm motor, and 45amp Airboss esc that is rated to 700 watts with 4s. Any thoughts ? I've decided I'm really a s port flyer (76 years old, flying for 4 years), so 350-400 watts with 3s should be enough for a 4 lb. plane ?

Attached are My favorite paint schemes and my FunCub, without the struts on it's maiden day,4/2013
Old Apr 17, 2015, 01:09 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,285 Posts
Mine can hang on the prop with the stock recommend power system, but one of our club members has a 4s setup in his from his deceased E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak. With floats on it, he does rolling circles and inverted flat spins! Which reminds me, when I built mine, I was still a bit new to the hobby, and found Hitech servos with the same specs as the Multiplex ones recommended. (Took a lot of research!) The rudder and elevator servos turned out to be very slow! Fine for just flying around, not fine if you want to fly like the other guy I mentioned. Hopefully you know your servos better than I did.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 02:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,133 Posts
Hi Charlie,

Your paint job is excellent and both models look GREAT.

The motor you've is more than ample but I'd strongly suggest try with 3S lipo first. Remember, lighter the better plus you really do not need 4S unless you want to climb vertically and do 100 rolls a min etc.

Mentor looks scaleish so I feel it need to be flown at scale speed i.e. slow and steady. If you've not discovered yet then I'd say slow flying is more difficult then flying like a bat out of hell.

The second challenge is to get the maximum duration from a lipo. At 3000 mAh cell I get 5 - 6 min and I can join two cells in parallel and get 15 min easily.

Good luck with maiden and keep us posted.

Cheers

PS : Have you already got TWO Mentors? Amazing.

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. My thoughts on struts are strictly for looks. Another question is power? I have the motor setup from my unsuccessful excursion into 3D flying, namely a Torque 2814 / 820rpm motor, and 45amp Airboss esc that is rated to 700 watts with 4s. Any thoughts ? I've decided I'm really a s port flyer (76 years old, flying for 4 years), so 350-400 watts with 3s should be enough for a 4 lb. plane ?

Attached are My favorite paint schemes and my FunCub, without the struts on it's maiden day,4/2013
Old Apr 17, 2015, 03:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
169 Posts
CD, Thanks for the advice. I like scale also, and 3s batts. I have several 1800 3s 50c batts I can parallel but will probably buy several 3300's once i fly it and see how it goes. A question; what is "closed loop rudder control"? Is that the same as pull-pull ?

Two Mentors ? No, the photos are screen shots of Mentors from this thread, a full size Cub, and my Fun Cub. This will be my first Mentor.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 04:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,133 Posts
Quote:
CD, Thanks for the advice. I like scale also, and 3s batts. I have several 1800 3s 50c batts I can parallel but will probably buy several 3300's once i fly it and see how it goes. A question; what is "closed loop rudder control"? Is that the same as pull-pull ?

Two Mentors ? No, the photos are screen shots of Mentors from this thread, a full size Cub, and my Fun Cub. This will be my first Mentor.
Hi Chalrie,

"closed loop rudder control" AKA pull-pull ... lol

1800 should work but please don't get carried away by having fun flying Mentor then suddenly realising there may not be enough juice left to bring you back to the runway. How do I know??? Yep, I've a T-shirt now

Have fun.

Cheers
Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:20 PM
Joined Jun 2009
169 Posts
Received my new Mentor kit on Wednesday and it looks great. I'm going with Cub yellow and white, with the yellow on the lower parts of the fuselage and wing. I have two full size Futaba 3004 servos that fit the rudder/elevator spots, so I think they will be OK. A little heavy, but the price is right. Metal gear 9gr. servos for everything else. I've been reading the thread and some mention the Mentor ground looping, and moving the landing gear back a few inches. I think that might be a good idea after seeing how far ahead of the wing leading edge the wheels are. Also, my experience learning on an MPX Mini Mag and a Gemini often involved ground looping. I now fly off grass most of the time with the FunCub and it''s not a problem. Or maybe I got a little better ? All suggestions / opinions are welcome.

Attached is a sketch of my color scheme and my FunCub with struts. I haven't given up on struts, or maybe a single strut just for looks.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:54 PM
Find More Posts by tmulligan
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
714 Posts
You're getting better. Don't move the landing gear.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Apr 24, 2015, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,285 Posts
+1!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 04:53 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,133 Posts
+1 from here too.

I found ground looping in Mentor is often because the tail wheel is not correctly aligned. It needs to slightly out plus any crosswind then the Mentor will be ground looping before you know it. So check it please.

Secondly, do not give too much throttle too quickly - just gently power up and she would do a take off like the real thing opcorn

Happy flying.

Cheers