HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
Do I Need To Replace This Gasket???

Hello all,
I am working on making a TR-111 turn clockwise rather than counter-clockwise based on the info here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...-engine-2.html

While removing the cylinder, the gasket between the cylinder and crankcase ripped in one corner. I have included a picture; do I need to replace this gasket???

Thanks for all of the help.
-Robert
lordvon is offline Find More Posts by lordvon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:20 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,335 Posts
Yes you need to replace the gasket. I never had much luck with trying to use a damaged gasket where it affects the mating surface like shown in the pic. Usually that is the source of a leak when it occurs. With two stroke engines there is considerable positive pressure on the down stroke and then you have a strong low pressure or suction on the upstroke. So the gasket is being stressed in both directions.

You can make the gasket using a sheet of gasket material from the auto-parts store too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
Thanks for the help, earlwb!

I have seen your posts everywhere when I was searching how to reverse the engine rotation direction. What is your take on it currently? Have you come to do it yourself before?
lordvon is offline Find More Posts by lordvon
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:25 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,335 Posts
I haven't had a reason to do so in a very long time now. I did it in the past though. originally it was thought to help improve a RC twin engine plane's handling capability. Maybe help with flying and landing with one engine out. But in practical use, it didn't seem to do anything much that I could see or feel. So I quit bothering with it. All of my twin engine planes at present have engines in them that rotate in the normal counter clockwise direction. I have not had any issues with them like that.

The model engine manufacturers used to make reverse rotation crankshafts for two stroke glow engines, but they have quit doing so too. Reverse rotation props (or pusher prop) are getting fewer and fewer each year as well. Thus the choice for props is getting less and less. So it becomes more difficult to support a reverse rotation engine.

I can see using a reverse rotation engine with a pusher plane as that lets you use normal rotation props in a reverse pusher configuration then. So that could be quite useful in those cases as we have a rich selection of normal rotation propellers to choose from.

For my twins, if a engine drops out, I simply treat it as a dead stick and cut throttle and bring the plane on in right away. I adjust each engine to run its best independent of each other. If one engine is off in RPMs from the other, it isn't a big deal. The plane still flies fine even if both engines are not equal in RPMs. Trying to sync both engines up to be the same RPMs is what usually results in having the weak engine flame out or quit on you.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane