HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2014, 04:27 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,065 Posts
Question
Which Graupner Radio for F3X specific programming?

I currently use the SD10G for my F3X activities. For the most part I'm very happy with it. What it is lacking is additional flight modes and telemetry. I would like to try telemetry since I think it will streamline the model setup optimization process.

Of the radios currently out there, Graupner seems to offer the most cost competitive radios with good telemetry and RF performance.

I would like to hear from actual pilots that fly F3B, F3J, or F3K and use Graupner radios. I know Andreas Herrig uses the MX-20 for F3B. I prefer the switch layout on the MZ-24 over the MX-20, but I've heard the programming for the MX and MC series radios is better for F3X applications. I've glanced through the manuals, but reading the manuals and actually using the radio can sometimes be two different things.

I would love to hear some real world users thoughts on which Graupner radio is best for F3X. If you have experience with the SD10G and can compare, that would be even better! Comparisons to the JR 9303 or 12X would be helpful too.

Thanks for any input!

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2014, 04:44 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,586 Posts
Good thread Tom.

I think I will go through my notes on the MZ24 and write a more detailed comparison with the SD10 when I have some time.

As well Tuan has spent many hours with the MZ24 so his insight would be helpful here as well.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:17 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,769 Posts
I am a long time Airtronics SD 10 G user and it has been solid. While visiting a trade show I saw a graupner booth and noticed the transmitters on the table. I did not know there was a graupner in usa. I liked the feel of the case of the transmitter, and my mz24 appeared a week later.
The tx comes in its own carrying case which is nice. The receivers are almost exactly the same size as the atx, which is fine for my f3f planes

I fired up one of my pikes and measured all the throws. Changed receivers and programmed the mz24 to match. Pretty simple and you can tailor a few throws that you cannot on the sd10g. Nothing out of the ordinary. However, Flight mode trim does not follow like the atx, you have to open the menu and go to the mode you wish to trim, select that surface and adjust. I was off a couple of ticks when I tossed my plane off the cliff, made that adjustment, but switching to say camber, I was expecting a need for a few down clicks but I overshot it, and simply clicking the trim wont work, just something im reporting. I did that for each flight mode ( what graupner calls qlink).
On the slope, in action, it feels good and does what its supposed to, no surprises. Watched my battery voltage, watched it sag a few tenths when I grabbed a gang of flaps with a ton of ballast on...signal strength is displayed as well, which scares me as much as it informs me....no alarms so far....so far so good is my report.
WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:43 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,065 Posts
Thanks Warren,

Are you saying that you can't adjust the trim for a given flight mode when that flight mode is active using the trims? I wonder if there is a lock somewhere that needs to be turned off.

For camber control, does the MZ-24 allow you to tweak each surface so they follow each other exactly for a mix like elevator to camber? This is a nice feature of the 12X and SD10G that is lacking in the 9303.

Glad to hear it is working for you!
Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Jun 23, 2014, 03:33 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
542 Posts
Each flight mode can have its own trim setting. You need to turn it on as you suggested.

Yes, you can tweak each surface and synchronize them and there is also a standard mix that allows you to control the AIL/FLP with AIL.
Graupner USA is offline Find More Posts by Graupner USA
Site Sponsor