HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:05 PM
United States, TN, Dyersburg
Joined Mar 2011
162 Posts
Question
Mobius as a FPV Cam?

So, I ordered a Mobius, and the adapter for a Vtx in my case its a boscam 5.8 400mw clone, or rebranded.

I am trying to keep my weight low, as it will be on a 250 class quad, I don't plan on running an OSD until I can scrape more cash togather. Is this doable?
I have been looking around, and seems like some guys are runnning this cam in FPV, am I way off base here?
I will be flying pretty quick and low...will the lag murder me?
sarlacc is offline Find More Posts by sarlacc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:44 PM
United States, TN, Dyersburg
Joined Mar 2011
162 Posts
Nevermind, I went ahead and just orderd a board cam to be safe.
sarlacc is offline Find More Posts by sarlacc
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:07 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2014
220 Posts
Rmrc pico wide v2
sonic_boom is offline Find More Posts by sonic_boom
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:17 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,909 Posts
Mobius cam live out works GREAT on my latest plane. There is lag, but ok for most planes and quads, including my twitchy small wing. You get excellent colour, better than most board cams. But not so great in low light.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,228 Posts
here a member..did a lag test..big thank to Isoprop..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=43

i fly mobius cam, live feed., 290mm mini quad..certainly wouldn't fly high speed ..
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:15 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,122 Posts
I fly through the Mobius on my Funjet and do fly it high speed.
The two big downsides to the live out are
1. The view doesn't fill the frame (black bars on the *sides* as well as the normal letterboxing top and bottom).
2. Handles high contrast lighting very poorly. If the sky is bright or overcast, the
ground may appear almost black. Is like the original Hero HD live out in the this regard.
The video it records, does not have this problem.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:39 PM
Katalepsis
United States, AL, Enterprise
Joined Dec 2006
90 Posts
I have a mobius on a switch between a pixim seawold in my new Air Titan. I only plan on using the mobius as a back up camera. In the right light, I'm very impressed with the color. Same nuances mentioned above by Daemon but lag really not an issue with this lumbering giant. That said, I am impressed with the flight characteristics of the Titan but it is certainly a niche plane. Unfortunately, I'm about ready to strip it down and start over because of unwanted noise. Rangelink, RVOSD, RMRC 800mw 1.3Ghz, Mobius, and Seawolf onboard and I can't get 2 miles from either video or control. Both go unreliable at that range. I have same equipment on a Penguin and ZII except these two have a stand alone GoPro and cheap PZ0420 flight cameras. These two birds are limited by batteries. So I'm figuring that the noise is either the mobius or the seawolf. As soon as I find some time, I need to figure it out because this titan has some legs.
glorysgun is offline Find More Posts by glorysgun
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:41 AM
South Africa, GP, Midrand
Joined Mar 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorysgun View Post
I have a mobius on a switch between a pixim seawold in my new Air Titan. I only plan on using the mobius as a back up camera. In the right light, I'm very impressed with the color. Same nuances mentioned above by Daemon but lag really not an issue with this lumbering giant. That said, I am impressed with the flight characteristics of the Titan but it is certainly a niche plane. Unfortunately, I'm about ready to strip it down and start over because of unwanted noise. Rangelink, RVOSD, RMRC 800mw 1.3Ghz, Mobius, and Seawolf onboard and I can't get 2 miles from either video or control. Both go unreliable at that range. I have same equipment on a Penguin and ZII except these two have a stand alone GoPro and cheap PZ0420 flight cameras. These two birds are limited by batteries. So I'm figuring that the noise is either the mobius or the seawolf. As soon as I find some time, I need to figure it out because this titan has some legs.
The Mobius is known to be very noisy, you need to encase the whole thing in a Faraday cage.
Adventurer21 is offline Find More Posts by Adventurer21
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:47 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,909 Posts
What the Mobius latency looks like in practice, compared to a dedicated FPV boardcam.

Mobius Vs PZ0420 as FPV camera (0 min 39 sec)
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,165 Posts
Well, I find the latency of the Mobius to be relatively inconsequential, for me it is NOT an issue. What is an issue is the FOV.

It is like flying my airplane while looking through my right side rear view mirror - you know the one with the etched words - Objects may be closer than they appear! When I first started looking into doing this (FPV) I laughed a lot because every single video I watched, every one, had a wonderful music score or narration of the great flying characteristics of this plane or that wing and how agile it was. Also how robust the particular system being used for video was and how easy it was to set up and use. Then always at the end there was a scene of the plane landing or the pilot holding it - that's when my nervous laughter would start.

You see I was looking at the planes (some multirotors too!) and I never saw a pristine one. Always jagged, repaired roughly, very seriously abused airframes!

I really didn't understand the phenomena until I actually bought and set up an FPV system. Then I understood. The DOV (Depth of View) and FOV (Field Of View) of the cameras misleads the pilot into seeing the ground - landing zone - too soon (consequently flaring too soon and stalling into a nose plant), or seeing it too late and ramming the ground hard with the front area of the plane. Multirotors usually don't suffer this fate as they have GPS and flight stabilization aids that do the work for the pilot - in most cases - their damage comes from running into things at speed - through inertia and physics. LOL!!

It is a very addicting "sport".

The "range" issue with the Mobius is more of a problem for me than the latency ever will be though.

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Last edited by hillbille; Apr 20, 2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Terms! LOL!!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:21 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,909 Posts
hillbillie, this has nothing to do with the Mobius, it has to do with your lens choice. Mobius has 2 choices, wide and narrow. Conventional CCD/CMOS cams have many choices. The most popular CCD/CMOS cams are pretty wide angle too, moreso than teh regular Mobius lens, and similar to the Mobius B lens (wide). BUtnowhere near as wide angle as the Gopro lenses.

If you like a narrow FOV lens, then get the regular A lens Mobius and you will be happy. Landing will be more 'normal.' However, I think you will find the narrow FOV is a little too claustrophobic. The most realistic depth perception is found with a 6mm lens on a CCD cam, but that is crazy narrow. Only one guy I know uses 6mm - most of us use 2.8 or 3.6mm wide angle lenses)

BTW, you have misunderstood 'Depth of Field' in your post. DOF has to do with focus range, not the apparent distance of objects. DOF is not an issue at all with any FPV camera, other than for folks doing scale cockpits and need to be able to focus on instrument panel as well as background (generally speaking, wide angle give most DOF).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:40 AM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
Joined May 2007
2,165 Posts
BC - I don't think I was making a technical report on the Mobius in any way other than to say that LATENCY WAS NOT AN ISSUE FOE ME. Perhaps you missed that because of the other portion I wrote tongue in cheek.

I am a photographer and I DO understand FOV, as well as DOF as well as Bokeh and almost every term, abbreviation and reference to lenses and cameras - HOWEVER, almost all of the people on these forums (RCG) on average do NOT, but tend to express themselves in terms that make sense to them. Not technically correct but they simply try to convey their "experience".

I guess I am guilty of reading too much of this as I tend to try to understand the thinking and also tend to try to express things in the SAME manner so that a non "expert" might get the general idea of what is being said. Wrong? Yes, but the intent is still good to most - except to people like you - and that is NOT a slant at you - you are the exception and I must admit my error for clarity.

I find the Mobius to be exceptionally good for what it is. I do as a matter of fact HAVE an "A" lens version - as well as 4 DSLR's by CANON, three SX series and 4 "A" models that I routinely fly AP with and I can unequivocally state that there is a very distinct difference between them all!! LOL!!

How's this?
The distortion caused by the lens of the Mobius causes the video out feed of any and all objects including the EARTH to appear further away than actual distance.

Better?

Hillbille
Old Apr 21, 2014, 04:44 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,909 Posts
Are you referring to the 'fish eye' effect? I know that's a byproduct of having wider FOV's but i have seen programs that supposedly fix it so you get the same FOV but without the magnifying effect. I'm probably missing a few terminologies but is that what you meant?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:20 AM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
Joined May 2007
2,165 Posts
No, not referring to the fisheye effect. I have the "A" lens and there is not a lot of fish eye with the "A", but objects in the video out - or direct video mode do seem to be depicted as further away than they actually are.

As I said before I take a LOT of AP and use a few different cameras to do so.

It's the "lens" per se'. (I am NOT picking on the Mobius - good camera and excellent in it's price range!) but more or less poking fun at ALL FPV in that trying to look at the world through a small lens tends to distance all objects in the field of view and therefore makes everything APPEAR further away.

It is NOT a specific trait of the Mobius - but more a trait of every camera and more attributable to my inexperience with FPV and viewing things through a camera lens. Heck I might be myopic and not know it until now! LOL!! It is just MY perception.

I was simply giving MY observations on my interest in FPV and how every video I have watched has a wrinkled, repaired, and obviously abused looking airframe as it's carrier! LOL!! When I see the view - I understand why.

You guys are just NOT getting the point I am trying to make. You seem to get so involved in the technical aspects of the Mobius that you can't step back and see the humor in others PERCEPTIONS of what it produces.

I suppose the difference is the view I see with my eyes - real time - verses the view I see through a small camera lens rendered on a small screen.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone or make any "points" about the technical aspects of the camera, and I don't think I have a side in an argument to defend or need to take a definitive stand on the merits of the Mobius as a camera or video cam or it's lenses or their quality. I'm just trying to have fun flying model airplanes and trying new things. FPV is something new for me. The Mobius is too.

Is being technical, infinitely correct and correcting everything everyone types (says) in this forum so important to you guys that you think it's FUN?

Sorry but I for one am TRYING to ENJOY the forum. I do NOT wish to argue every single point nor debate every misspelled word and have to explain every single reference to anything and everything. That seems to be what some like to do here, but I'm just not one of those people. I prefer humor and having a good experience LEARNING from the forum than reading or participating in a 2 or 3 page argument over one technical point that is purely a matter of perception gauged from each individual.

I'll just fade back into lurking stage and allow the argument to continue. LOL!

Hillbille
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:56 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,909 Posts
hey I hope this didn't sound like arguing, just geeky banter

cheers