HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:47 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
508 Posts
Discussion
Help for AL swift kit

Went to a flea market yesterday a found a old kit for a AL Swift for $5.00. The kit was started with the frames glued to the false keel(not aligned) bow and stern blocks glued on, in general it looks like something a young person tried to build and got tired of it. It seems like all the parts are there except for the brass pin nails. So I brought the kit thinking that I can save it, if not the I can use the wood for something else. The keel, frames and deck can't be saved but the sheets that they came off are there so I can use them as a pattern to make new ones. The problems is the pin nails; does anyone know the size and where I can get new ones. I plan on calling Model Expo. tomorrow then they are open. but thought that I would check on here first.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:37 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,639 Posts
A belaying pin is nominally 12 to 16 inches long and a pinrail on a schooner may be 2 to 3 inches thick and 6 to 8 inches deep. Scale that to your kit and you should be able to get something from Bluejacket or ModelExpo to replace what's missing.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Oct 07, 2014, 02:31 AM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
508 Posts
Called Ages of Sail today and ordered the brass pin nails to replace the ones missing. Should be ale to cut a new keel and start to rebuild the boat this weekend.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor