HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2015, 05:37 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
345 Posts
Discussion
What Epoxy do you use?

So I am looking for a Low Thermal Resistance Epoxy to waterproof from ESC and Receiver Boards. What do you guys use? Let me know! Thanks!
jtroutt19 is offline Find More Posts by jtroutt19
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
345 Posts
No body....? At all? Well then how do you waterproof your boards?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:12 PM
User
Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,471 Posts
Do a search for "cornformal coating".
Quote:
A*Conformal coating*is a protective chemical*coating*or polymer film 25-75m thick (50m typical) that 'conforms' to the circuit board topology. Its purpose is to protect electronic circuits from harsh environments that may contain moisture and or chemical contaminants.
rmteo is offline Find More Posts by rmteo
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:45 PM
Joined Jan 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroutt19 View Post
So I am looking for a Low Thermal Resistance Epoxy to waterproof from ESC and Receiver Boards. What do you guys use? Let me know! Thanks!
Years ago we had moisture issues with some of our outdoor electronic controls for high voltage circuit breakers. The first solution was to use epoxy over critical areas of those circuit boards.

Only problem was, after a year or so, that epoxy started to allow moisture under it, and after that happened, the board was junk. (Those were $1100 circuit boards)

They went to a specialized encapsulation that covered the circuit board with 3/8 inch thick covering. This was a specialized coating designed for electronic use. This stuff has poor thermal conductivity, and using it on an ESC would cause it to overheat.

DO NOT use the stuff from the local hardware store. If that stuff smells, it's got chemicals that will damage your electronics. We got hit with that years ago, and it resulted in a field recall program. The over the counter stuff that was used by one of our suppliers dissolved the enamel off of some solenoid windings after a year or so.
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Mar 20, 2015, 07:14 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
894 Posts
Quote:
No body....? At all? Well then how do you waterproof your boards?
Uhh, I keep mine out of the water.
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Mar 20, 2015, 08:48 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
27,616 Posts
When I was manufacturing ESCs (RC-Hydros.com) I used 3M DP-270 to conformal coat the electronics on my products. I also used it to coat my receivers (I always glued the crystal in). Never had any problems.

You can get DP-270 from Newark Electronics, or you can try www.OffshoreElectrics.com in Boston area.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 20, 2015, 07:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
345 Posts
Thanks alot Andy I will check them out. I am wanting something that will not degrade over time and also transfers heat really well. I work on electronic devices for a living and I see this stuff that manufactures put on cell phone boards. They use a really thing layer over most of the board and it seems to seal the board up. One reason I believe that water damage treatments work for cell phones is because of this stuff. It is not like regular epoxy in the sense that you can heat it up and remove it. But it is just as hard as epoxy. I believe it also adds shock protection to the PCB as well to keep solder joints from breaking when devices are dropped and such.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 09:16 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Apr 2006
484 Posts
Humiseal 1B31. Any electronics grade silicone. (Do not use normal RTV silicones on electronics.) Corrosion X sprayed on seems to offer some protection - google "Corrosion X ESC" or some of the similar CRC products at a lot of hardware stores.
mark963 is offline Find More Posts by mark963
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
345 Posts
Yeah I've looked at the corrosion x. Thing is I want total protection not some! I plan on possible submersion.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I've looked at the corrosion x. Thing is I want total protection not some! I plan on possible submersion.
Submersion?

You still have the connectors to worry about. Problem is with total submersion, the DC voltage and currents that exist on the RC equipment will be flowing between the pins of the various connectors.

Not good, since that current will be removing copper and/or plating on the pins of the connectors.

Don't know how much room you have available. Places like Home Depot do sell plastic outdoor electrical boxes with screw on lids that are sealed against the environment with O'Rings and similar.

Or check out www.digikey.com for their sealed boxes.

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...0&pageSize=100

Or
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...515-ND/1219176

Or Mouser
http://www.mouser.com/Enclosures/Enc...pe%7c0&FS=True

If you run the various wires through the side of one of these boxes, you can seal it off with some electrical safe sealing compound.

Duct Seal putty is good for that purpose, but it is hard to find.

I think this is the stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-110/100212441
Last edited by vollrathd; Mar 20, 2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:29 AM
Joined Dec 2011
345 Posts
I thought about a enclosure as well the only issue I came up with is cooling. The esc will not be able to cool itself properly. As far as the connections go Heat shrinking and then adding silicon to them has always worked for me well enough.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 09:14 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
27,616 Posts
Quote:
...I see this stuff that manufactures put on cell phone boards. They use a really thing layer over most of the board and it seems to seal the board up.
Yup, that's most likely Humiseal, as mentioned earlier. We used that in power supplies at my last job, but not on areas where we were moving heat. It doesn't let the heat out very well.

On my ESCs I only put the DP-270 on the areas where there was power, not on the cooling portions. Those were exposed.

Quote:
It is not like regular epoxy in the sense that you can heat it up and remove it.
DP-270 is like that too. It's a hard finish, but with a soldering iron you can easily remove the compound and retouch the components under it, the put a dab back to cover your work and all is well.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 21, 2015, 09:02 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Apr 2006
484 Posts
You can always enclose the ESC, but cut a hole and put the the ESC's heatsink out the side and then glue the seam so it's sealed. Just a thought. So many ways to (insert inappropriate comment here).
mark963 is offline Find More Posts by mark963
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark963 View Post
You can always enclose the ESC, but cut a hole and put the the ESC's heatsink out the side and then glue the seam so it's sealed. Just a thought. So many ways to (insert inappropriate comment here).
Yup

That would work. And, if your ESC gets submerged, you get instant water cooling
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
345 Posts
Andy man thanks I have always wondered what that stuff was but I will say this I cannot remove it with a soldering iron. I've tried and it holds fast even at 480 Celsius. As for the instant water cooling that is a fabulous idea! lol. I might actually do that though Easy enough to cut a hole in plastic. I don't know though we will see. Good Idea though!