HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:36 PM
United States, GA, Butler
Joined Mar 2014
19 Posts
Discussion
Good trainer Plane

What would be the best electric trainer for limited space as far as taking off and landings go. I have a small yard to fly in but once in the air everything is fine. Just wondering what everyone would suggest for a good trainer for taking off and landing in small spaces. Thanks
rodney00 is online now Find More Posts by rodney00
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:51 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney00 View Post
What would be the best electric trainer for limited space as far as taking off and landings go. I have a small yard to fly in but once in the air everything is fine. Just wondering what everyone would suggest for a good trainer for taking off and landing in small spaces. Thanks
Champ in no wind .http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/champ-rtf-HBZ4900
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2014
19 Posts
Already had the Champ. Trying to go a little bigger and something I could fly in light winds
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:02 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,660 Posts
Not to split hairs, but you didn't say how big the flyable area of the yard is..... some people have several acres to fly in.... the open part of my back yard is about 40X25.

In addition, many novices have very unrealistic ideas about what surfaces a plane can take off and land on.... I have a trainer that takes twice as much length to take off from astroturf as it does from asphalt. If there is any grass I'd personally use a fairly small plane that can hand launch and belly land
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:02 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Already had the Champ. Trying to go a little bigger and something I could fly in light winds
Larger Champ http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma1107.html
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2014
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat View Post
Not to split hairs, but you didn't say how big the flyable area of the yard is..... some people have several acres to fly in.... the open part of my back yard is about 40X25.

In addition, many novices have very unrealistic ideas about what surfaces a plane can take off and land on.... I have a trainer that takes twice as much length to take off from astroturf as it does from asphalt. If there is any grass I'd personally use a fairly small plane that can hand launch and belly land

I'd say the landing area is about 20x50 maybe a little more and it is grass.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:30 PM
Joined Apr 2005
549 Posts
The sport cub s will give you ailerons . Although not any bigger it is a good next step .
Bradley Crandall is offline Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old Jan 24, 2015, 07:13 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,660 Posts
Quote:
I'd say the landing area is about 20x50 maybe a little more and it is grass.
Ok, what about the flyable area?
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Jan 24, 2015, 09:31 PM
Joined Mar 2014
19 Posts
flyable area is pretty much open
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:44 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,003 Posts
I take off and land on small dirt runway next to large field and than fly larger planes over field. I have a good size 182 or gamma to fly. I started to get a fun club many times and got less and changes wheels,props,motors. And most times I go back to flying my champ in the wind just got a new one and old wind plane. If I had got fun club you can land and take off in 6 feet or so. Get the plane you need or keep flying a champ. The sport cub s has safe which would help and is a little bigger.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:10 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,265 Posts
You might consider a Slow Stick. It is easily modifiable and can be built correctly in dozens of different configurations. It could be the best way to teach how planes fly and why. (Also, why not!) With the right motor it doesn't need more than 5" of runway to take off. It does need just a bit more area to fly in than a Champ but sounds like your area would be good.

I encourage you to buy the NPS (no power system) version and pick components yourself. The rewards are great.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 26, 2015, 06:35 PM
What tree?
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
3,119 Posts
Delta Ray.

Excellent 1st, 2nd and 3rd plane.

Handlaunch and bellyflop. No runway required.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:13 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,265 Posts
No doubt he could fly a Delta Ray just fine but it won't teach him anything the Champ couldn't. A Slow Stick would be a natural progression in learning, especially if he has an interest in building and/or modifying. Lots of very experienced fliers say that the Slow Stick is their favorite airplane. Haven't seen experienced fliers say they fly their Delta Ray for fun after they have learned to fly.

Maybe I can convince you how fun a Slow Stick can be in about 30 seconds:

Slow Stick Blast Off! (0 min 35 sec)

Really you can't go wrong either way. They're both great planes.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:48 PM
Joined Mar 2014
19 Posts
Thanks everybody for the input. I really like your suggestion and the video RR I'm thinking hard about the slow stick. RR if I get the SS NPS version what setup would you recommend? Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:09 PM
What tree?
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Haven't seen experienced fliers say they fly their Delta Ray for fun after they have learned to fly.
You must not visit the Delta Ray thread very often then.

My Delta Ray goes with me to the field every time I go and has for almost 2 years.

Being a Delta, the DR has an enormously wide flight envelope that's incredibly hard to get in any other "trainer". It's got the flight envelope of an EDF jet without the inefficiencies of an EDF. It's an incredible airframe.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Last edited by Rampage; Jan 28, 2015 at 11:19 PM.