cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:27 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
Glad to be of help...if you still use a long antenna wire...one thing I changed to make hook up easier was I added a hook at the top of the back stay to hook to the top of the mast. I unhook it there instead of at the hull. This allows me to leave my stay tension settings the same and is just easier to hook/unhook with an antenna wire attached. See the pic...though not clear...I just unhook at the mast and coil and place under the outer hatch when done....no settings to make...easy. If you use an long antena wire, you can wrap it around and up the stay and leave it...no more hooking unhooking of it either. This was what got me to change it in the 1st place...now I don't need to do it but still like not having to readjust the stay.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:28 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
aaaargh.. trying to shape a new keel bulb..blocks of lead suck, just to let u know..gonna put another pound on it, and then tailor down from there, I am assuming that the extra grunt from the sails is gonna make everything worse, so, I am wanting to keep the keel in the water...
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:24 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Hey John
Sorry I missed your call. I called you back - but missed you. Standing by.

Did you ever see HH's video on proper sailing etiquette and racing tactics? If not I am sure you'd learn at lot about how a real professional approaches competitive racing. If you have not seen it, go back to page 16 to thread #558 of the Nirvana thread and play the video. To get the full affect, click on the center of video as it is playing, it should expand to a full screen.

I assure you the time viewing will not be wasted and your respect for HH, or Crash as he is best known, will be even greater as both a "Mentor" and race strategist.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Feb 07, 2011, 04:54 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
aaah..good timing..as we talked before I saw this, that works great for me..I will sure watch that..I can make em, now I gotta learn how to drive em...I also wanted to share something that I couldnt have done without Rick, here.
Rick,( boomer), had ordered a new play boat, the vela, from tower. which he returned since for bad workmanship. but, with the boat came a 2 channel 2.4 radio, branded tactic. seeing the pictures Rick sent me, and the link to the page on the boat, I hadda have the radio! tactic are futaba radios, labeled for tower hobbies, which is owned by great planes, which is owned by hobbico, which owns futaba..soo, punchline of that spiel is that its a good 2 channel stick 2.4. trouble is, they ONLY use it on this boat.. tower does not sell it, nor is it sold under futaba.
after much sniveling, crying and such, some friends came up with one for me, just got it about a hour ago, its GREAT!! super light weight, mini receiver, and no stick in the air to bend, or get caught in your drink!. back in the early 90's, when futaba was just themselves, I was fortunate enough to know the boss. and received a one off radio, that was given to me as a xmas gift, which I treasure. but, its big, heavy, and a gift, but, I use it for all my boats..its 2 channel also. anywho, you guys gotta figure out how to get the new one, its smokin.. new one first, as a feather, old one second, as a ton.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Feb 07, 2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: .
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:53 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
You can always go with this 4 channel Tactic Radio (looks the same as the one you have only more channels) or the new 5 channel airtronics that Steve Lang is putting in some Nirvanas.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXYWM9

Don't ya just love how the radios are getting cheaper and better every day?
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:16 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
yup, prices are sure gettin better but, a 4 channel for a blow boat isnt really needed, and you gotta take the spring out, yada yada..I dont see why they wont sell the 2 channel they already make..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:58 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
yup, prices are sure gettin better but, a 4 channel for a blow boat isnt really needed, and you gotta take the spring out, yada yada..I dont see why they wont sell the 2 channel they already make..
No need to remove a spring, just set the sails up on the throttle channel and rudder on the aileron channel in airplane mode. Hobbycity sells some low cost 2.4 stick radios from the USA warehouse at good prices as well. Sounds like you are happy with your new 2.4 system, enjoy!
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Feb 08, 2011, 05:05 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,323 Posts
Amazing it took so long for computer and TV price discounting to hit the r/c radio world.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 09:28 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
yes, its sure getting better, but, typically, when the economy gets bad, hobby stuff does well, as people dont want, or cant spend money on their other interests.. my best friend, gone now, owned the largest hobby shop in the 48 states, pointed that out to me many times. and the suppliers are getting new customers now, and they wanna keep em..most hobby suppliers are such small businesses, they cant stay alive without new blood, and it aint like everybodys in it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
Supposed to by sunny and in the mid/upper 50s here tomorrow....getting the batteries charged up....
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:54 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Novice Question again..........

This question might be better under the R/C Radio section, but since there has been quite a few upgrades from 27mhz to 2.4 systems of Nirvana's, will ask anyway.

A very basic question, are the female plugs from the servo's, battery [on/off switch] standardized? In other words can different manufacturer's receivers hook up to existing electronics?
Thanks
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
My Nirvana's plugs fit in my Airtronics receivers with no issue. Futaba has historically made their plugs a little larger, but are easily shaved on each side with a hobby knife to fit other's plugs.

I like my Airtronics RDS 8000, would like to get a Futaba at some point as from what I have seen the Futaba is easier to program.

Boomer
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
My Nirvana's plugs fit in my Airtronics receivers with no issue. Futaba has historically made their plugs a little larger, but are easily shaved on each side with a hobby knife to fit other's plugs.

I like my Airtronics RDS 8000, would like to get a Futaba at some point as from what I have seen the Futaba is easier to program.

Boomer
Thanks, I have been reading about the 2.4 systems. Some real inexpensive tx/rx (read cheap) systems out there. Guess like everything else you get what you pay for. There is going to be a local RC group (aircraft) swap shop next month. Might go look.
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:14 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Super deal at Hobbypeople on Airtronics RDS 8000

Hobby People have the same radio I use on sale from 2-11 to 2-21 for $119.99 and is normally almost $200. RDS8000. That is one fine radio for the price!

That is the best price I have seen on a high end radio with all the features, and I think it comes with one receiver?

Boomer

(No # 751700 in store only.)
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Hey Crash,
I just ordered a new Nirvana from Steve. I can hardly wait to get started on adding my own "personal touches".

Chidago (John) is working in his "secret lab" making some very "hush, hush" up grades, which are designed to maximize the performance our beloved Nirvana's.

John is not interested in class racing, and likes to make things as efficient and as fast possible. This boat is no acception. We know the Nirvana is a well designed boat, and has stood the test of time amazingly well. But John and others,(me) feel they may have just a little room for improvements here and there.

I will be monitoring John's progress and will be archiving photos and notes of those upgrades and tweaks, and will be posting them at the appropriate time.

There are of course limits to what can be done, and the hull itself has it's design limitations. It will be interesting to see the results of his handy work.

Since, he is located in the heart of the winter weather, it maybe a few weeks or months before he has any soft water to start testing. We shall see!!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM.