SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2002, 01:05 AM
Perth, Tasmania, Australia
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Kyosho Stearman PT-17 (40)

Has anyone any experience with converting the PT-17 Stearman to Electric? I intend using a Maxcim N32Y. I know Steve Horney has an extensive article on the Super Stearman. Are they similar in construction? No doubt there will be similar issues between both models as far as conversion is concerned.

Any help would be appreciated (before I start attacking it).
GeorgeC is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2002, 09:08 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
The PT-17 and the Super Stearman are sharing the same airframe. The main difference is the dummy radial on the PT-17 and the front cockpit.

Those both might become issues. The front cockpit may affect your battery access solution. I did the Super Stearman and used that area for a battery hatch. http://personal.rdu.bellsouth.net/rd...dod/super.html

You'll have to deal with the dummy radial engine in making your engine mount and how the gearbox will fit.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Sep 04, 2002, 05:19 PM
Sydney NSW Australia
Joined Jul 2000
72 Posts
I have completed the P-17 using the following configuration

Direct drive Jeti 45 on 16x1700cpi nicad and using an APC 12x4 prop.
Plenty of power and duration is 6 mins plus. Cut into the front cockpit from just before the front dash board back to the rear dash board to provide a removable hatch so batteries can be accessed without removing the wing. Similar conversion was listed here for the Kyosho tiger moth.

I am currently converting the Kyosho Tiger moth to e-power using an Astro 25 with super box running on 20 cells witha 15x8 prop
DJones is offline Find More Posts by DJones
Old Sep 05, 2002, 01:29 AM
WattNaught
Sacramento, CA, USA
Joined Aug 2000
280 Posts
I've completed and am flying a Super Stearman w/an Astro 40 and 18 cells. I installed the dummy engine from the -17 -- just cut out the center and it should fit over your motor shaft.

The plane has more than enough power and I get consistant flights over 8 min. with throttle management, and 6 min w/aerobatics. Your motor - batt setup should work fine.

There's plenty of wing area -- it has impeccable flying manners -- stalls are straight and mushy -- full stall and wheel landings are a joy.

Happy Landings
R. Green is offline Find More Posts by R. Green