Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:10 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,520 Posts
Discussion
Replacement Naza for Phantom V2

Hello guys,

I have a Phantom 2 that suffered a crash which damaged both the GPS and Naza controller beyond repair.

Can anyone advise if its possible to utilize a Naza V1 or V2 (V2 has the same hardware as Phantom 2 Naza!) for the Phantom 2 and still have all functions (communication with the main board, LEDs etc..)
is it possible to load Phantom 2 Naza FW on the standard Naza V2?

or perhaps anyone know where its possible to get a Naza V2 phantom2 version + GPS for a sane price?
Perhaps somebody has a spare Phantom2 Naza and/or GPS?

Since i have a Naza V1 spare, i could use that.. even if hacking is involved.
thanks.
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2013
4,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Hello guys,

I have a Phantom 2 that suffered a crash which damaged both the GPS and Naza controller beyond repair.

Can anyone advise if its possible to utilize a Naza V1 or V2 (V2 has the same hardware as Phantom 2 Naza!) for the Phantom 2 and still have all functions (communication with the main board, LEDs etc..)
is it possible to load Phantom 2 Naza FW on the standard Naza V2?

or perhaps anyone know where its possible to get a Naza V2 phantom2 version + GPS for a sane price?
Perhaps somebody has a spare Phantom2 Naza and/or GPS?

Since i have a Naza V1 spare, i could use that.. even if hacking is involved.
thanks.
Yep, you can replace the Phantom Naza with a Naza-M V1 or V2. You do lose the ESC status and orientation LEDs so you need to carry over your Phantom 1's USB/LED module. I don't recall if you must then modify your ESCs wiring to plug directly into the M1-M4 ports or if you can still go through the motherboard connections. Standard motherboard communications through EXP (CANbus accessories, GPS, compass, gimbal, etc.) still work fine. With the Naza-M installed, it no longer attempts to verify the P2 smart battery, but the battery will continue to work just fine.
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2014, 03:29 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano View Post
Yep, you can replace the Phantom Naza with a Naza-M V1 or V2. You do lose the ESC status and orientation LEDs so you need to carry over your Phantom 1's USB/LED module. I don't recall if you must then modify your ESCs wiring to plug directly into the M1-M4 ports or if you can still go through the motherboard connections. Standard motherboard communications through EXP (CANbus accessories, GPS, compass, gimbal, etc.) still work fine. With the Naza-M installed, it no longer attempts to verify the P2 smart battery, but the battery will continue to work just fine.
Thanks for the reply.
Are you sure the V1's GPS can plug through the P2 main board? after all the V1 GPS has an inbuilt compass...
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 03:36 PM
Joined Sep 2013
4,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Are you sure the V1's GPS can plug through the P2 main board? after all the V1 GPS has an inbuilt compass...
Good question. I've not actually tested this, but I believe the signal from the compass is mixed into the GPS before converted to CAN and sent to EXP, so it should be no different whether you are using a Naza-M puck or the P2's separate GPS and compass.

I know plenty of people who have swapped out their Phantom 1 GPS/compass with a Naza-M puck and that works just fine.

If you are going to remove the puck from the casing and replace the P2's GPS with it, you need to make double sure you have enough shielding to protect the integrated compass from the P2's electronics and metallic components.
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member