SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:52 PM
United States, TX, Fair Oaks Ranch
Joined Feb 2014
23 Posts
Discussion
Its been beatin to death...but lets beat it more. first EDF

I know the topic of BEST first EDF has been beatin to death on here, i have read through most over the past couple of weeks.
Im currently having that debate myself.
I was about two steps away from buying a Habu 2 earlier today, had the box in hand at counter...bad idea to stop because of traffic jam. I didn't do it because i really still don't know the answer to which way i should go...

What would be the ultimate electronics set-up for the phase 3 EF-16?, since they don't make the BNF version anymore...something to run on 3s, first EDF, then later be able to bump it up to 6s. I realize the electronics can be switched if i trash out the frame, so the budget for this is more than the cost of a Habu.

or

Is the Habu 2 still a better choice? I prefer ground take offs to hand launching. And i like the parts availability and the optional flaps and retracts.

or

The guy behind the counter brought up that they would be getting in some more FMS EDFs soon, he was excited (f-16,f-4, and f-18) How are they as flyers? are the electronics any good? the few post I read were kind of wish wash on liking them or not...

Anyways, persuade away
Mokey is offline Find More Posts by Mokey
Last edited by Mokey; Feb 20, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:43 AM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
My first edf was a Banana hobby 50mm F22. Has a large wing surface and gluides thru the sky nicely. Easy to hand launch, fly and land. The f22 is pretty cheap so it wont cost to much to replace it when you wreck it.
Smashed my first edf too pieces on my first flight but with some hot water, molding, and glue she was back together. I finally got her up in the air and still have the f22 in the hangar. I'm now on to bigger edfs.
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:02 AM
Wild & Crazy
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Apr 2013
259 Posts
I would not get a Habu for first Jet, Get a inexpensive 64mm like the Freewing Stinger 64 4s version, this jet has no bad tendencies flys really well slow or fast!!
Sovrin is offline Find More Posts by Sovrin
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:38 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,030 Posts
Except that the Stinger 64 is a hand launcher it's the best.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:11 AM
Joined Feb 2011
192 Posts
if your doing hand launching for first plane.. do something with a round belly... like f16 or A7.. easier to through.. vs a flat bottom plane.
latinajet is offline Find More Posts by latinajet
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
Dynam Meteor ver.2 and start with the 3s setup. Then when you are ready just swap in a 4s battery. This plane takes a lot of abuse and flies great. Pretty cheap about half the cost of the habu.
ciscovet is offline Find More Posts by ciscovet
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:58 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,030 Posts
Easier to through what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinajet View Post
if your doing hand launching for first plane.. do something with a round belly... like f16 or A7.. easier to through.. vs a flat bottom plane.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:31 PM
United States, SC, Hilton Head Island
Joined Jan 2013
172 Posts
I'd get a Stinger 64 with the landing Gear on 4s

I'd get the 4S setup though as its a dog on 3s with landing gear drag.

Speed on 3S is about 68 mph, speed on 4s is 85 mph belly landing and probably 80ish with gear.

MotionRC.com

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-sti...m-edf-jet-pnp/

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-sti...-landing-gear/

I'd order a spare fuselage too as shipping over $99 is Free. Usually the fuselage is what gets hurt.

Launching on 4s is not bad at all, launching on 3s can be dicey. You need use the finger holes and throw on a slight incline. Another good suggestion is to throw off the top of a hill or mound.
bulldog2012 is offline Find More Posts by bulldog2012
Last edited by bulldog2012; Feb 21, 2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:27 PM
Wild & Crazy
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Apr 2013
259 Posts
My Stinger has the Don wicked setup 4000+, and Landing gear.It has enough thrust to take of by itself on grass runway, one of my favorite jets and it hits 100 with gear.
Sovrin is offline Find More Posts by Sovrin
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:27 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2012 View Post
I'd get a Stinger 64 with the landing Gear on 4s

I'd get the 4S setup though as its a dog on 3s with landing gear drag.

Speed on 3S is about 68 mph, speed on 4s is 85 mph belly landing and probably 80ish with gear.

MotionRC.com

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-sti...m-edf-jet-pnp/

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-sti...-landing-gear/

I'd order a spare fuselage too as shipping over $99 is Free. Usually the fuselage is what gets hurt.

Launching on 4s is not bad at all, launching on 3s can be dicey. You need use the finger holes and throw on a slight incline. Another good suggestion is to throw off the top of a hill or mound.
Well I don't know all these post will convince Mokey but it convince me on getting a Stinger 64 with 4s!!!
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:23 PM
United States, SC, Hilton Head Island
Joined Jan 2013
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovrin View Post
My Stinger has the Don wicked setup 4000+, and Landing gear.It has enough thrust to take of by itself on grass runway, one of my favorite jets and it hits 100 with gear.
I love the stinger so much that I have 3.
1. Motion Rc Stinger HS on 4s.
2. STINGER 64 DONS WICKED 4000 + HET balanced FAN does 110mph.
3. STINGER 90MM STOCK JET
bulldog2012 is offline Find More Posts by bulldog2012
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:42 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
My vote would be the Freewing F15 with stock 4s setup.....just an amazing performer and very easy to hand launch. Its got to have a much lighter wing loading than the Stinger.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:58 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
I just maidened my first EDF and it was a success. It was a skyangel t-45, the only thing I had flown before was a super cub, an Ares Gamma and a Dynam FW190.

It was easy to fly and they are around $100... so cheap enough that even if you crash they don't hurt too bad.
Panzerknacker is offline Find More Posts by Panzerknacker
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:14 AM
United States, TX, Fair Oaks Ranch
Joined Feb 2014
23 Posts
the stinger is growing on me more and more, how is the stinger HP vs the original?
Mokey is offline Find More Posts by Mokey
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:14 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,627 Posts
Actually the Durafly Vampire would make a great first edf . Even comes with electric retracts and it's dirt cheap . Even when built heavy it's a real floater .Oddly enough ,there's a picture of it at the top of this thread .. (must be a sign )
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon