SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:58 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,689 Posts
Nice! Interesting since I just downloaded pics from Barnstormers.com of an orange Citabria this morning. It's on my 'to do' list, dontcha know!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,550 Posts
Earl,

This is your world and enjoy/appreciate the fact that you are letting us in.
With that in mind I offer:

One of the most aerobatic aircraft EVER is a Monocoupe 110 Special. It has a Clark Y and inspite of that fact flies near as good inverted as it does rightside up. I only offer this because I think most modellers expect/believe that a re-invention of the wheel ( a radical airfoil, thrust or incidence changes) will give them the elusive "better" flying characteristics, or acheive a perfomance boost the prototype was not capable of. I humbly submit that all of your performance issues/desires could be addressed with radio programing, power, or pilotage. Again, not so much a case as to what one flies but more about how it is flown.

IIRC there was also a clipped-wing version of the Decathelon. That mod alone would probably give the biggest performance/aerobatic boost.

"Give in to your feelings, Luke, and your transformation to the Dark Side will be complete."
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:03 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
Packard Pursuit on Monocoupes

SHUT ! UP !
I just bought a 1/4 scale Executive Designs Monocoupe on RCG classifieds !

I built one years ago,and had 42ozs of lead in the nose to balance it !

The kit,a class act in itself,will be here tomorrow.I'm going to model the same full-scale one I did then-The "Carolina 'Coupe" A black and white beauty...

The Decathlon for'Hell raisin',the 'Coupe, for recovering from it.
I offered it straight on to loNslo,and he turned it down because of size limitations.
HE GONNA BE SO SORRY !
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:42 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,163 Posts
IMO, not that anybody cares I would make the ribs just a tad fatter. Maybe about a 13% or 14% thick. I'm guessing you have about 11% to 12% there. Well maybe not on second thought. I wish you could make up my mind for me.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:42 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,334 Posts
Decide on an mill yet? I have one Nosen kit and One AA kit in my stash. Plan on building the AA kit with replacement ribs - not the die-smashed ribs in the kit.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:16 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
powerplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Decide on an mill yet? I have one Nosen kit and One AA kit in my stash. Plan on building the AA kit with replacement ribs - not the die-smashed ribs in the kit.

EJWash
I haven't decided yet, on the engine..The majority have been powered by G-38's or Q-35's, in my area. I have a new USEngines 41 that's a good fit.
This doesn't have to be optimum power,but they all had great verticals..The idea is to do the standard maneuvers the Decathlon's capable of...No 3-D...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
Ahhh those ribs.

Talking about those ribs, didja' see how big that 1" wing tube looks in there ?
The 12% thickness doesn't look right to me,and that's a TLAR rib ! ha ha.Yep- the finest airfoil I've ever used is the 24015, but this time around,I want a fully symmetrical wing........just because I'm afraid of it !
I'm adding 1/8" to the rib, just above and below the tube, and whatever that percentage ends up, so be it.
Thanks for the input.
Mr Nosen has my utmost respect..Those of us who fostered Giant scale were faced with a dilema...We wanted the impact of the large models,along with their ability to carry scale details without such a large weight penalty.
We had to build 9' models that weighed 10-12 lbs,for the engines we had then...
Bud had the vision to introduce his models,and I flew built one the year they were available,powered with an OS 80,with twin glow plugs.
With much concern in his voice,Ollie Moses informed me that the 13" prop would never move enough air to get it airborne. Humph !
And then he said we couldn't fly a flat bottom airfoil inverted. Humph.
Ollie just kept on SAYIN' things !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:04 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,163 Posts
What ever you come up with for a wing rib, I'm bettin' it'll fly just fine If a flat plate will fly your original rib will be the cats meow.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
With that,we'll close this thread on Friday.I've started a build thread at Balsa Builders.....come pick on me over there.
RCG Plus Member