HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:39 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
New Product
Where to buy Beacon Foam-Tac

Hi everybody. I'm starting a new thread, post all your links on where you can buy the NEW Beacon Adhesives Foam-Tac.

If the vendor is showing the purple card, it is the old product. When they run out of it, there is no guarantee that they will be carrying the new product.

I'll start by posting a link to my page for it: Foam-Tac @ FRC Hobby

Bill
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo1970 View Post
Hi everybody. I'm starting a new thread, post all your links on where you can buy the NEW Beacon Adhesives Foam-Tac.

If the vendor is showing the purple card, it is the old product. When they run out of it, there is no guarantee that they will be carrying the new product.

I'll start by posting a link to my page for it: Foam-Tac @ FRC Hobby

Bill
I asked the deacon of beacon (eric) yesterday about the price they are asking and for me they have priced their selfs right out of my building fund. I can use elmers contact cement or gorrila glue or at their price i can buy foam safe ca cheaper. I know they say it's a new formila but they must have mixed gold flakes in it or they are over charging for it because they think this market will keep them in the black. I also think its their company and they can charge anything they want for their glue and some might try it but it wont be me. The reason i build foam planes is because iam to cheap to buy arfs and i like to build different planes than anyone else, but that does not mean i want them to cost as much as arf when done. Good luck with your thread. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:30 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I asked the deacon of beacon (eric) yesterday about the price they are asking and for me they have priced their selfs right out of my building fund. I can use elmers contact cement or gorrila glue or at their price i can buy foam safe ca cheaper. I know they say it's a new formila but they must have mixed gold flakes in it or they are over charging for it because they think this market will keep them in the black. I also think its their company and they can charge anything they want for their glue and some might try it but it wont be me. The reason i build foam planes is because iam to cheap to buy arfs and i like to build different planes than anyone else, but that does not mean i want them to cost as much as arf when done. Good luck with your thread. joe
Foam-Safe CA is not cheaper by a long shot. Especially when you include the kicker. If you're using Foam-Safe CA w/out kicker then you don't have a very strong joint at all.

Bill
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:08 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,569 Posts
The beauty of this hobby is its diversity...... Sometimes we find very inexpensive building techniques..... There is a strong micro aircraft interest in this area and these guys will discover something thats usefull and free they all flock to it... Wendys had to dispense Ketchup behind its counters because they made for great mixing cups... McDonalds had their small mixing spoons run out as well as a local supermarket ran out of plastic bags because they were the lightest one for covering open micro airplanes.....

Value is a factor of many variables.... Price, Convenience,Performance,Quality,,each one weighs different on each individual....

For instance.... The difference between a good bar and a bad bar can be just one woman!!!!!!
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Foam-Safe CA: ~$8-10 an ounce.

Welders Adhesive: ~$4 an ounce.

Amazing GOOP: ~$2.2 an ounce.

Gorilla Glue: ~$2.1 an ounce.

Foam-Tac: ~$1.4 an ounce.

I think those results are pretty clear, especially considering that foam-tac is the glue you have to use the least of, relative to the others.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,166 Posts
Michaels :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
I think joe was expressing that the "NEW FORMULA" Foam Tac is priced at $11.99 for 2 ounces. That is $5.99 an ounce.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
"NEW FORMULA"?

There's a "NEW FORMULA"?

Hmm. Dunno what's wrong with the old stuff. I thought he was referring to relative cost to other glues, not to the original foam-tac.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Yea, I would be interested to see what is "new" and "improved" about it. The old stuff was great for it's price point. If it really is $11 a bottle, I will see myself using more hot glue for the foamies.....
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Yea, I would be interested to see what is "new" and "improved" about it. The old stuff was great for it's price point. If it really is $11 a bottle, I will see myself using more hot glue for the foamies.....
Same. If this does become an issue, I'm gonna call beacon, and others should too.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:16 PM
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post

I think those results are pretty clear, especially considering that foam-tac is the glue you have to use the least of, relative to the others.
Where can you find Foam Tac for $1.40 ?

Foam-Safe CA: ~$8-10 an ounce. good for all foams but you need kicker also so it ends up being 12-13 an ounce...fumes and allergies reported

Welders Adhesive: ~$4 an ounce.but only good for epp and epo, hardens and turns brittle, solvents need to have well ventilated spaces

Amazing GOOP: ~$2.2 an ounce.good for epp and epo only, great for epp slopers, can be thinned with Toluene and Xylene, solvents that cause liver damage and cancer

Gorilla Glue: ~$2.1 an ounce., love it but it expands as well as takes hours to set, get it in your hands or hair and good luck

Foam-Tac: ~$5-6 an ounce. low solvent content, relatively fast setting, elastic all pourpose all in one glue, epp, epo, eps, fff,depron safe
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Same. If this does become an issue, I'm gonna call beacon, and others should too.
There is always a self proclaimed Model Polymer Adhesive Scientist in the group....
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
More like a business scientist (currently self-employed).

I wouldn't decide to reformulate my product and make it twice as expensive and reduce sales if my customers were happy with the current product.

And about Foam-Tac's cost:

http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...4ff6eab07f6e7b

That's $4.39 for a 2 ounce bottle. $4.39/2oz = $2.2/oz

Hmm - I probably typed something into the calculator wrong earlier. $1.4/oz does seem way too cheap.

Editing original posts... but $2.2/oz is still cheaper than the alternatives I know about.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,650 Posts
I find UHU Por to be the most cost effective/easiest to work with foam adhesive.
I buy it from Paul at Electricwingman and always include a few tubes with my order.
http://www.electricwingman.com/uhu-p...ndly-glue.aspx
It comes out to $2.17/oz.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:41 PM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
The reformulation is not the reason for the price increase. The reasons have been stated ad nauseum already... new federal hazmat regulations, increased costs of matierials, increases in shipping costs etc. etc.