HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Sounds good to me!

Just to confuse matters more I'm actually a Darby'sh man who merely lives in Lancashire, right in the middle of wind farm country. What I should be making is big RC sailplanes not sub 2 ounce outdoor Vintage FF!

I'm wondering what to do next, I quite fancy a sub 30 inch rubber powered canard or something with twin props, ideally pre 1950 British, something different.

Or I could take it easy and do one of the Replikit jobs I was given, I do love laser cut parts!

ATB

Tom
Froglube is offline Find More Posts by Froglube
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:57 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,895 Posts
Whatever you do decide to build next Tom, I look forward to seeing it, and I have no doubt you will enjoy it!

Ah, a Derbyshire man eh. Clearly you are on missionary work amongst the heathen Lancs, as I was in Cheshire for many years!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
279 Posts
subscribed
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:05 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
No prizes as such.............
That's Yorkshire code for 'A prize??? Tha muss be jokin worr lad!! They cost money tha knos'

I must admit that when I 'entered' with the Ajax, I didn't realise it was a competition. However, I soon realised that it was a sort of non-competitive competition where each entrant freely offers advice and assistance, and almost strives to make their opponents' models better than their own!

I've found the writing of a build thread has added a further facet to the enjoyment of a balsa build - it's nice to have experienced people confirm your methods / logic, but also comments and advice has stopped more than one 'Doh!!!!' moment and made me slap my forehead* with a 'how come I never thought of that - its blimmin' obvious (now someone has said it!)'.

So Tom, as you've now finished the Veronite more than 12 hours ago, you must have started the next one, so get the digital camera out and start a thread!!!

*Which now reaches as far as the back of my neck....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Bizarely, we have actaully been flying, for the first time in 3 years apart from messing with the Cloud Tramps I have made everyone. with information recieved I made up a fresh motor for the Westwings Jade and at 7 AM me and the Middle son were out in the park flying it before the dog walkers and kids turned up.

Lordy we enjoyed it!, no long flights, a minute or so at most as it is trimmed to turn tightly to avoid over flying the trees * but ir climbed like mad when i put in a 1/32 shim to give some down angle on the prop and it was tough enough to survive bouncing off the odd tree. At 450 turns it was going too high and far and blind lucks the only reason theres not a very early Christmas decoration atop a tree!

About a hour back we were out again with a "seabird" (?) ornithroper, nothing more than 20 second flights but in the breeze it would hover and the lads loved that! Its been hanging from a beam for years since it was too big to fly indoors.

Cheshire? I was in Stockport for a number of years, and Staffordshire before that where a developed a taste for oatcakes and the wife, both of which I've kept. I fear I went native...

Er truth be told despite my best efforts to go cold turkey for a day or so I have the Replikits "Senator" out and it will be on the building board before the days over.

ATB

Tom

* and i dont know what Im doing really.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:39 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,685 Posts
Some excellent flying shots there Tom! Glad that you and the lad enjoyed your flying.

Quick! get a Senator build thread going! You must have finished the fuz by now....!!!
You may find that the Senator will outperform that flying field by a fair margin, and flying it to the size of the field could lead to frustration. You could of course add some RC assistance - oh and perhaps an electric motor?
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Get thee behind me satan!

RC will no doubt happen one day. I've a strange urge to try CO2, now it seams to be almost entirely replaced by electrics and I'm a sucker for the obscure and out of date!

Just balanced the No. 3 and 4, the 3 needed a bit of lead at the nose, the 4 nothing, test wound them up to 400 a couple of times and will probably get to test fly them tomorrow morning, a bit breezy now.

Yup, the senator, sentinal and condor clipper (and all the gliders) are too big for the field. Will have to make a transit box after the stooge so we can take them somewhere , bigger.

ATB

Tom
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,895 Posts
Stockport eh Tom. I lived in Poynton, six miles south of there, for 36 years before I retired and we fled to France. I have a "private" flying field here, but the Haute Vienne has trees like dogs have fleas and any attempt at free-flight would sadly be short lived (apart from the fact I am presently on crutches waiting for a knee replacement in October, so cross country running - or even cross country walking - is off the agenda). So I content myself with electric R/C replicas and scale-ups and believe me they are GREAT - and also remarkably inexpensive these days. My 150 gram Frog Witch flies just like a rubber powered one if I want, difference being it flies for 12 minutes and returns to my feet! AND it and the 146 gram 1.8x Sportster will fly in a significant breeze too. With models like these you really appreciate the meaning of the words "Park Flyer" - silent, agile and fun to fly.

Love the flying shots, proper sport flying.

Looking forward to the Senator build - don't forget your build log and Britkit entry!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
>You could of course add some RC assistance - oh and perhaps an electric motor?

Blasphemy!
Indeed ... double blasphemy !!

Joking aside ... really.... the Senator is a great choice but, as says The Blink, you need a vastly larger space to avoid frustration. On full power it's at least a 2 1/2 minute airplane that climbs high and travels far in the usual breezy conditions.

It's also absolutely reliable. Once trimmed it stays trimmed .. my two came out of the box last weekend after 9 months incarceration .... full power, perfect flights, back to the box ready for Aug/Sept contests. Can't ask more of a model.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Hi all,
we got up good and early (for a school holiday) and despite it being overcast it looked calm so we trooped out with the Veronite No. 4, winder, camera etc. and about faced half way down the path as it started a light drizzle. By the time it had stopped the wind was gusting a bit so that was that. Hopefully tomorrow...

On a more positive note the pacakage of Guillows wheels from my pal in Alabama arrived and so i put some ally tube into a pair of 1.5 inchers and fitted them to the Condor Clipper, fitted the braided motor, and balenced it with some small scraps of lead sheet. I should rebraid it so it a bit looser and longer so the free wheeling mechanism works but when i test wound it to 200 then 250 it gained a bit of slack so i can live with some poor glides on the of chance the motor stretches enough to let it free wheel.

I also did the mono wheel for the Senator and cut out (overlarge so i could sand to fit) the panels that don't come pre made like for at the nose and rear peg point.

The plan I flattened under some books and is now under some grease proof paper masking taped to the balsa board. It's all laid out in my favourite building spot one the floor infront of the TV in the shed. and I'll start construction tonight.

ATB

Tom
Last edited by Froglube; Jul 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
>I'll start construction tonight.

Way to go! But please.... ditch that plastic prop and carve a proper one. I can supply a couple of good blank layouts if desired.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,895 Posts
Good stuff Tom. I have added the Senator to the list in Post 1 here. When you start a separate build thread for the Senator I will add the link to the list in Post 1.

It'll be good to have a "as per plan" rubber powered Senator being built alongside RAF_BOB's electric R/C one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Good stuff Tom. I have added the Senator to the list in Post 1 here. When you start a separate build thread for the Senator I will add the link to the list in Post 1.

It'll be good to have a "as per plan" rubber powered Senator being built alongside RAF_BOB's electric R/C one.
Yes, a "genuine" Senator will be great to see. I'd do so myself if my aged limbs and lungs would permit! Also I don't have access to a suitable and large enough flying area. So an electric R/C version it is. Not far from finished now so I'll have to update my build log.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:29 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,895 Posts
Another successful "Britkit" maiden flight

RFJ has flown his lovely electrified Mercury Crusader, 26/07/2012. That makes five models finished and flown so far, all very successful. Crack on guys, still lots more to finish (or maybe even start????? Dereck??)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:17 PM
Albyone
Italia, Lombardia, Monza
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Hi
I participate with this?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1691531

Ciao

Albyone