SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:29 AM
Jim in Santee
United States, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Help!
Aileron servos jittering

I've been flying my Omega 1.8 electric glider for several months and lately at home during adjustments, I get jittery movement from both aileron servos when I move the aileron stick. But at the flying field, no problems.

Could this be an interference problem caused by wireless devices in my home? I'm tempted to replace the servos but it doesn't seem likely that the 2 aileron servos both went bad at the same time.

All 4 servos are HS45HB and the rudder and elevator servos don't jitter at all.

I have a Hitec Optima 6 w/2.4gHz Spectra conversion module and an Optima 6 receiver. Haven't had so much as a glitch in the air but this behavior at home makes me nervous!
jshelton is offline Find More Posts by jshelton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshelton View Post
I've been flying my Omega 1.8 electric glider for several months and lately at home during adjustments, I get jittery movement from both aileron servos when I move the aileron stick. But at the flying field, no problems. Could this be an interference problem caused by wireless devices in my home? I'm tempted to replace the servos but it doesn't seem likely that the 2 aileron servos both went bad at the same time.All 4 servos are HS45HB and the rudder and elevator servos don't jitter at all.I have a Hitec Optima 6 w/2.4gHz Spectra conversion module and an Optima 6 receiver. Haven't had so much as a glitch in the air but this behavior at home makes me nervous!
Unlikely to be caused by other wireless devices in the home.
When this jittering occurs at home, how close is the TX to the model?
As all is okay during power down range tests? and flying at the field, this is a typical indicator
that the receiver may be getting swamped. Basically, transmitter is overpowering the receiver
because it is so close. This especially if the batteries are fully charged.
Does the jittering stop when TX moved at least 60cm (2ft) away from model?
Otherwise, if extension or "Y" lead in use, try swapping them out.

See also sub Section "Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - causes and cures " under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Thanks Alan. It does it close or 30ft away. I plugged in another servo in the same channel and it works smoothly. I then plugged the old servo into a different receiver with a different transmitter and got the same jittering. I've concluded I've worn out both aileron servos and I'm replacing the 2 HS-45HBs with HS-65HB.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:27 AM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
FIXED! i replaced both aileron servos and everything works smoothly with no jitters. Evidently, both HS-H45HB servos wore out/went bad at the same time!