SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer1 View Post
I should have the new molds finished for the Tiger Tail III w/the vertical fin as part of the mold finished in a week from now. Short Kits in two weeks.

RcAiir.com Fiberglass kits and parts.
Just what I needed to hear, not!!
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Sep 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
Wow! Lot's of projects there, man.
I've been doing a little here and there this fall only. Flown a couple of contests, one AMA and one Classic. It was fun.
Finished an electric Denight Special and helped Dad with electrifying a BH Midget Mustang 60.
Don't do what I did and sell your airplane, I miss my Pitts Special, EVERYDAY!
All is well at work, should pan out if this TA is voted in. The Native American pilots however, are clueless.
Chris...
Not really a lot Chris, I'm a slow builder, half as fast you know!
Only contest was Rusty's this past May, the P-7 was flying very nicely too.
About the RV-6, that's what I'm afraid of cuz I know I'll never build another one. Only thing is the brother wants to sell his Lancair-IV and the V-35, if we drop all three then a Malibu is going to be in the hangar. That's a fine flying machine too.
Glad to hear work is going to work out. I hear ya on the clueless stuff too, got a bowl full of that stuff where I'm at. Have a great Holiday Season dude, hope to see you sometime next year.
Sorry to be off topic guys.
Mark
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:58 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,110 Posts
Hey Cliff, Keep us updated!

I really want to see what you come up for the Bootlegger as far as paint!

I’m looking forward to seeing it ready to fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiatt View Post
Finishing up a new/old Bootlegger. I had one in 1979, won AMA Expert at the '79 Lincoln, NE NATS with it, see the attached 'old' pic... don't laugh at the kid... I stuck this airplane in the ground soon after this pic, RX quit.

I came about this kit the same way as back in 1979, Steve Helms gave me the kit this spring when I was at a heli contest in Huntsville. As you may suspect, this will be a nostalgic and somewhat emotional project...

Since I pretty much don't have anything to build airplanes with anymore (I use hammers and files on my helis!) I tracked down someone who I used to fly pattern with in the day to frame it up. Sam Leonard did a fantastic job framing it up and glassing the wood, making it ready for rigging and paint.

I've finished with the wing rigging, with retracts and ailerons hooked up and working. I'm going old school here, one servo with drilled output wheel for differential if needed! Left to do is fuel tank, powerplant and pipe install and fuselage servo tray and rud/nose wheel, elev and throttle pushrods... then paint.

The model will be powered by a N.I.B. OPS F.I.R.E. 'Big Red' .60 and pipe (thanks Rusty!)! and I'm using Dave Brown Southern Pro retracts. Radio will be new stuff, Futaba 18MZ with 7 channel FASST RX and digital servos.

I'm shooting for test flight by the end of the year... see how that goes! I can't wait to hear the scream and go to a CPA/BPA contest in the SE.

Cliff Hiatt
Pitstop000 is offline Find More Posts by Pitstop000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JR 28X / JR’s Flagship Radio!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:48 PM
Winter Garden, FL
Joined Jul 2007
33 Posts
Will do!

Pitstop...
Will do. I'm planning on painting it with the same scheme as the one I had in '79, white with red and black trim. I've got some white and black PPG lacquer, House of Kolor Blue Blood red and DAU75 clear urethane in my cabinet. Not sure if it's still good... used it last in '10 on some heli canopies. If not, I may try the 'new' K&B system and forego the clear coat... I used the original K&B Superpoxy in '79, with clearcoat. Now if I just remember what I did on the bottom of the wing...

Cliff
CHiatt is offline Find More Posts by CHiatt
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
I'll Fly Anything Once !!
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2010
251 Posts
I first started flying r/c in the mid-70's...mostly high wing trainer types. I went to Pattern contests at our local club and was amazed with the speed and precision of planes such as Kaos, Mach 1, Dirty Birdy, Quick Fly. I always wanted to fly this kind of plane, but my skills were no where even close to being enough. I got out of flying in the mid 80's and I just returned to an old love 3 years ago. I was heartbroken to find out what pattern had become. No more sleek planes with retracts and .61's on a pipe. Anyway, I got into flying aerobatic gassers and my skills are now 10 times what they were as a kid. Now I have finally got the chance to own a REAL Pattern plane, a Tiporare that I picked up from a fellow flier who had no idea what it was.I flew it for the first time this past weekend and wow, what a thrill. The sound of the rear exhaust O.S.61 and the sight of a high speed pass with the gear up. What a rush !!!!
rc oldie is offline Find More Posts by rc oldie
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Sep 2009
589 Posts
Sweet looking Tipo! Welcome back and enjoy the forums as they are chocked full of info.
I too have a Tipo, just not sure when I'll get to it though. But I did enjoy a great conversation this past Saturday with an old ((and long time) pattern flying buddy who has his 32 year old Tipo hanging on his shop wall. Yep, in a vertical pose as if on the first quarter roll of a Figure M with 1/4 rolls.
hook
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc oldie View Post
I first started flying r/c in the mid-70's...mostly high wing trainer types. I went to Pattern contests at our local club and was amazed with the speed and precision of planes such as Kaos, Mach 1, Dirty Birdy, Quick Fly. I always wanted to fly this kind of plane, but my skills were no where even close to being enough. I got out of flying in the mid 80's and I just returned to an old love 3 years ago. I was heartbroken to find out what pattern had become. No more sleek planes with retracts and .61's on a pipe. Anyway, I got into flying aerobatic gassers and my skills are now 10 times what they were as a kid. Now I have finally got the chance to own a REAL Pattern plane, a Tiporare that I picked up from a fellow flier who had no idea what it was.I flew it for the first time this past weekend and wow, what a thrill. The sound of the rear exhaust O.S.61 and the sight of a high speed pass with the gear up. What a rush !!!!
RC,

Your story is a familiar one here in the Classic Pattern section. The emotions that you speak of are what is fueling the resurgence of Classic Pattern.

Welcome back and please contribute as you experience more with your Tipo.

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:35 PM
I'll Fly Anything Once !!
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2010
251 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys. Trim out flight on Saturday was a little hairy, but the 2nd flight went pretty well. All of the old timers at my club were excited to see a classic pattern ship again, and all the young guys were full of questions. It was a lot of fun. I'm going on a cruise so i'll be gone until Christmas, but when I get back I'll shoot some video and post it. { if the weather holds up } I thought flying Giant Scale was fun, but this was like going out on a date with your first love !!!

Rob
rc oldie is offline Find More Posts by rc oldie
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:07 PM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
323 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to this (classic) pattern stuff, but was gifted a Killer Kaos (60 size) that is mostly built up (wings and fuse). I've got a smooth runnin evo 61 for it, can't wait to put it all together and get her in the air this summer.
I'll have a few Qs along the way.....just wanted to introduce myself.
hutchinstuff is online now Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,337 Posts
Welcome Hutch!

Lots of people willing to help here.

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,522 Posts
A Few of My Pattern Planes

I just thougth I would post a few photos of one of my planes. I have an old Tipo that I got at a swap meet. Refinished it and installed an OS 61. Plane is a little heavy (many repairs by prior owners) but flies OK.

Like others here, I am flying/have flown the current 2 meter pattern planes(have a Shinden and two Black Magic VF3's) but I find the old classic planes more fun.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,522 Posts
Photos of One More Classic Plane

I started flying RC in1973 and in about 1985 I started flying pattern with some guys in Santa Maria (central California). Tony Plebanek and Dennis Galloway were my mentors and the three of us along with Don Brown and Mack Patterson attended a number of pattern contests in southern CA (MileSquare and Antelope Valley Tailwinds field in Lancaster CA) as well as events in Las Vegas and Arizona. During those days I flew a Kaos with a K&B 61. I then moved up to a Tipo with OS 61 (I got this engine from Jerry Budd and it was the strongest 61 I EVER owned) and then to a Challenge IV and some other planes. I was out of pattern for quite a while (flying jets almost exclusively) and in 2007 reentered flying 2 meter turn around but I have always loved the old ballistic pattern planes.

I have always had a pattern plane of some sort in my fleet.Anyway,about 4 years ago I was in an LHS in San Antonio TX and came across a classic pattern plane for sale.I bought it and after doing some research I discovered that it was a Tiger Tail IV. After some more research and contacting the AMA to identify the individual whose AMA number was on the plane, I discovered that it was Ron Chidgey's AMA number. Since his number was on the plane, I corresponded with him and sent photos of the plane. After some e-mails and phone conversations he confirmed that it was his prototype TT IV. When I got the plane it had/has Futaba FP S 130 servos in it ( I thought about changing them to newer servos but it would require me to modify the internal sections of the fuse and I have not decided if I want to do this as it will modify the model from original). It also has the original Southern retracts as well as the Webra Blackhead 61 and pipe. In looking at the plane I noticed that there were some removable "inserts" near the end of the wing leading edge. Additionally, the tail section (horiz and vert.stabs) were removable. I asked Ron about this and he told me that he made the outer portion of the wing leading edge removable since he was trying different LE shapes to get the plane to snap better. However, these changes made no difference so he did not proceed with the tests. The vertical and horizontal stabs were made removable to change stab incidence.I found all of this to be fascinating. I have to say that talking with Ron Chidgey was a wonderful experience and I will cherish our talks. Truly a great guy.

In addition to the TT IV I also have a Tipo and a Phoenix 7 (ARF) and I have to say that the Tiger Tail is BY FAR the best flying of these planes. I don't fly the TT much as I do not want to damage it but I absolutely love the plane.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Ed
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:41 PM
CPA# 39
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
746 Posts
That hobby shop had to be completely clueless to let that go. You are a very fortunate person. Congrats on the TT!!! That is cool.

The Tippo is one sweet bird!

Have you hooked up with the classic pattern guys to fly them at any events?

Brian
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:55 PM
ONEHANDRC
United States, WI, Genoa City
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
I acquired a Proline SS Tx, which was given to the owner by Ron. Looking at the pic of Ron kneeling by his plane sure makes me wonder about the Tx in the pic!
gallfer is offline Find More Posts by gallfer
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,522 Posts
Brian:

I knew the shop owner and he had gotten it from a friend. He was an old pattern flyer and let it go to me for $200. So, yes he knew what he had and gave me a really good deal. He had previously had a Dash 5 and a Tipo and I missed both of those sales but in hindsight, I am happier with the TT as it has a more meaningful history.

I have contacted Scott @ the CPA site. I was, for a short time, one of the regional POC's for the CPA and I am the guy that had the CPA coffee mugs made ( I still have some so if you need one go to the CPA website and order one) so I have been involved with the CPA for a few years but I just got tired of competitive flying and asked Scott to release me from my CPA duties and he kindly did so. My CPA member # is 21.

For now, I just like to go fly the planes every once in a while.
Ed