HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:26 PM
A regular at PP
Joined Jan 2013
408 Posts
Discussion
Loosen up before flying

Fellow newbs!

Lots of talk in this section about newbie nerves and panic situations ending in grief.

Have any of you found that you fly better as a newb with a brewskie or two under your belt? Y'know, just to calm the nerves and thumb jitters a bit? I find it works a treat for me, definitely results in smoother, calmer flights.

Of course the key is to not go overboard and drink so much as to diminish your skills! As Dirty Harry says - "A man's gotta know his limitations".
AussieNewbie is offline Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
Last edited by AussieNewbie; Jan 17, 2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Typo, yo :(
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:39 PM
Team Hitec
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,059 Posts
I think the general consensus around here is to not to encourage being intoxicated while flying. We here in the USA are already under fire for our free use of model aircraft and I don't think 'loosening up' as you say is the best idea to be putting out there.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:45 PM
A regular at PP
Joined Jan 2013
408 Posts
Really?

It's legal to drive a vehicle with some degree of BAC, so why shouldn't participating in your hobby be the same? I think a beer or two at the flying field is fine and if it helps newbs, great!

Now, if you're inclined to go the slightly less legal route (in some states, anyway), I'd imagine a puff of the ol' greenery might do wonders for beginner nerves.
AussieNewbie is offline Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:58 PM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
327 Posts
Really? You're buying into that? Anything that degrades attention/performance isn't going to make you a better pilot. It may make you THINK you're a better pilot.
iwlf is offline Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:01 AM
Joined Apr 2005
524 Posts
I'm always tellin my frinds "don't fly drunk" but I usually do , but then I crash a lot .

I would not do this with any thing more than a micro.
In my own yard and field .
Bradley Crandall is online now Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:09 AM
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
289 Posts
Some greenery , a couple beers or both ; could be nice but I don't partake in either . If I am a little nervous I start with quad copters and then my 900mm push plane/glider for some slow flying high in the sky.
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac
Old Jan 18, 2015, 02:45 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,178 Posts
Q. Beer, why do Ozzies spell it XXXX ?

A. Because they can't spell Castlemaine.

(Note - I'm not from the West Island, I'm from the South Island....)
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
Old Jan 18, 2015, 04:24 AM
Wingman
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Aug 2013
310 Posts
I follow the old FAA 24 hour rule, no intoxicants for 24 hours before flying. I fly at a club field and my actions could cause someone to get hurt, so i take it seriously. There's so much to think about while flying, like the planes pre-flight check, is my radio working properly and set to the correct aircraft and a million other little things that i need to be aware of. I wouldn't even want a slight buzz because the last thing i would want to do is hurt someone,hit someones car or be the next target of the anti-drone media.

That's not to say i don't get the jitters, especially if i have not flown for a few weeks but my cure for that was to buy a Super Cub S. It so simple to fly that i use it for my first flight or two to get my nerves calmed. Really, any easy to fly plane would fit the bill, but after a flight or two i usually feel like i am ready for my faster and more agile planes.

Now after i get home its usually a different story.
WarlordATF is offline Find More Posts by WarlordATF
Old Jan 18, 2015, 07:17 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,192 Posts
I usually have a family sit-down lunch before I go flying and, yes, I do have a 1/2-glass (one!) of wine with it, so I can't pontificate about zero alcohol

So, if a small amount can calm your nerves, I'm willing to accept it's okay, just like it's usually accepted that a small amount is okay under the drink-driving laws. As a newbie the OP has hopefully got someone helping him, who will advise if he's over the limit.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 18, 2015, 07:55 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwlf View Post
Really? You're buying into that? Anything that degrades attention/performance isn't going to make you a better pilot. It may make you THINK you're a better pilot.
+1

While I don't suppose a single beer is going to adversely effect your flying to any great degree, I've yet to see any evidence that alcohol can actually improve performance. As noted, it probably just makes you 'think' you are better.

Perhaps there is also a placebo effect such that you think you will be calmer after a beer, so you are. This is entirely possible as nervousness it purely a state of mind. You might be better taking one of those herbal 'calm' pills. Probably of no clinical value whatsoever but placebo can be a powerful thing, if you think they will work, they do work, and they don't have the negative effects that alcohol has.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 18, 2015, 08:10 AM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,602 Posts
I REALLY prefer not to drive with any alcohol in my system.....

I too experience significant anxiety, most frequently with a new plane. I'm actually FAR less likely to bang up a plane once it has that first battle scar..... so apparently it's best for me to own no pristine planes lol.

I believe I can sometimes fly a plane like I'd rather not damage it but if it happens I'm not going to lose sleep.....
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:14 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,145 Posts
Didn't Air France serve its pilots a glass of wine with their in-flight meal? It's the only civilized way to dine!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jan 19, 2015, 09:14 AM
Joined May 2012
457 Posts
For me no way! IMO it is just stupid, proven many times over that alcohol is NOT a performance enhancing substance, just makes you think it is!
LOL
Whats the last thing the boozer said before he died? - Hey fellas watch this!
Sibe is online now Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:11 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Didn't Air France serve its pilots a glass of wine with their in-flight meal?
our pilots pay for their own drinks at the airport bar. no handouts here.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:33 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
our pilots pay for their own drinks at the airport bar. no handouts here.
Lol! Good point!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k