SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2015, 07:53 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
997 Posts
Bulldog

Hi

I decided to do a FT Cruiser as Bulldog from the Planes movie. There are a few changes from the FT drawings, most notably a low wing instead of mid wing and how the nose goes together. The low wing design makes it a lot easier to make the wing removable too.

All paper has been removed and replaced with colored tape from Tape Brothers. I don't think he ever had skis in the movie, but such are the times.... Now I just need a cockpit and a mouth.

The 8x4.5 props seem to be the smallest APC make in counter rotating.

Owen
nagromnewo is offline Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Last edited by nagromnewo; Jan 19, 2015 at 08:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2015, 08:42 PM
United States, WI, Bloomer
Joined Mar 2013
57 Posts
Bloody Wonder MKIII

Here's the fresh 5 channel Bloody Wonder MKIII airframe next to the retired 4 channel MKII (pic of MKIa on post #15). Still my favorite foamie to throw in the air. The MKIV will be a 6 channel (split stab).
Name: IMG_1460a.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 490.1 KB
Description:
tomsza is offline Find More Posts by tomsza
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:19 PM
United States, LA, Patterson
Joined Feb 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke.johnson View Post
I wanted to build a Nutball/Snowball to learn to fly off water, before I try it with my new float plane. Anyone try it yet?

Another thing, I've never had a Nutball fly very well. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The other FT planes work well for me.

I want to build a Spitfire and maybe build a set of floats for it too. Floats just for practice.
I find all the Nutballs I've built fly awesome, though the first one was powered with the Blue Wonder motor. All that came afterwards were way over-powered for hanging on the prop and unlimited vertical. High-alpha slow speed flying is what the Nutball is all about. Perhaps your cg is off? I always go a bit nose heavy. If the control throws are big it's a bit goofy flying fast, but fun. They're awesome in the wind too. Don't give up on them! Maybe the Snowball with the skids would be more suble. Worth a try... when only cost a buck or two!
sheldonc is offline Find More Posts by sheldonc
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:08 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,455 Posts
125% Mini Scout!

Here's the latest project from the Justwingit hangar....a 125% Mini Scout !

The Mini Scout was a plane I've been looking for....3 channel, kinda antique looking, kinda WWI...perfect! Except for one thing.....the anemic powerplant, tiny 5 gram servos, etc.

Josh did say in the video that he would probably release a bigger version in the spring, but I wanted mine NOW!

Hmmmm....

My flying buddy (RCG Member Hillbilly30) inspired me to make one of these from scratch....so I did

I downloaded the plans off the Flite Test website (available here: http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-min...d-mighty-minis), and then printed them off on a plotter at 125% scale; this gave me a wingspan of roughly 30", plenty big enough for the powerplant I wanted to use, and put it squarely in the "Dusty" size category, also powered by a respectable power system and using fairly common 9 gram servos.

I took my time building it, and even then, it really only took a couple of days to build. One day to trace and cut-out the pieces, and another few hours or so to glue everything together. The final step was to install all the electronics and that didn't take very long at all....probably the shortest step. I did take some liberties with the original design here and there, but mostly stuck with the original plans. The main place I deviated was I used a traditional firewall, and not a power pod....

Here's a video of some flight testing I did earlier today:
Flite Test 125% Mini Scout - 19JAN15 (6 min 36 sec)

(As with all my videos, they're shot in full 720P HD. For best viewing, I recommend you open it in YouTube, click on the little gear on the lower right hand corner of the viewing window, select "720P HD" and voila! You can now enjoy the lfight in full HD splendor!)

As you can see, she's VERY aerobatic, has plenty of pep, and still floats in for landings like a feather.....simply an awesome design, made even better by a little size increase !

Specs:
Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive D2830/11 1000 kV
ESC: Turnigy Plush 30A
Servos: Turnigy HXT-900 (x2)
Battery: Zippy 3S 1000 mAh (25-35C)
Prop: APC 9x4.7 Slow Fly or Great Planes 9x4.5 Power Flow

If you're sitting on the fence on scratchbuilding...don't! I highly recommend going for it, as this is an easy way to get your dreams into the sky

Cheers all and happy landings
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 20, 2015 at 01:04 AM.