HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:55 PM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Discussion
Servo Recommendations for Supra E

I did a search on this topic but haven't found anything recent. Suggestions?
Randy Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Randy Reynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:07 PM
powered by caffine
Akron, New York
Joined May 2004
893 Posts
scroll down a bit and you will see servo options.
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...tion-ultralite
FredM is offline Find More Posts by FredM
Old Jul 17, 2014, 05:11 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,027 Posts
Is this a Supra E or a Supra Pro E. I think they are different.

For the standard Supra Pro they recommend:

Four JR 378 Servos - wing
Two JR 368BB Servos R/E

I would imagine there would be no difference for the wing. Don't know the config for the R/E in the Supra E
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 17, 2014, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Until you mentioned it I assumed that the regular Supra was discontinued just like the Ava. I suspect now that I look back at the website that I might not have the Supra Pro on the way. It is a new model. All that said either one will be more airplane than I am a pilot and either way I still need servos. Are the recommended JR servos still current and "up to snuff"??
Old Jul 17, 2014, 07:10 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,491 Posts
The wing loads and servo loads on the eSupra are considerably lower than the pure gliders. It is common practice with the eSupras and Maxas to go with some really light servos. Most of the Maxa's with servos in the tail are going with a MKS 6100 for the elevator and a MKS DS65K for the elevator, MKS 6100's for the ailerons and MKS DS6125 mini's for the flaps. I have used this setup on three planes with no problems. These servos are very light, fast, tight and about half again more powerful than other comparably sized servos. Actually, I am putting together a TopModel Fascination as a testbed for some GPS stuff and am using six of the MKS 6100's.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:45 PM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
448 Posts
All the servos that you need:http://www.soaringusa.com/3M-JR-Comp...ight-Pack.html . Instead of the 378's that are discontinued they send the new 398's.

Kevin
kunclebuc is offline Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:41 AM
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,491 Posts
JR 398's are great servos, but one thing you might check before you decide to use them for the rudder and elevator is whether they will fit and whether you really want the extra weight. The Supra ePro that I had had the rudder and elevator servos mounted in the fin -- and there was not much room to fit them in. I used Hyperion 09's very satisfactorily. The MKS 6100's are more or less the same size and perform much better. There is a possibility that the JR 398's will not fit at all. It is certain that they will be a hassle to fit. Comparing the two servos:

JR398 -- Dimensions = .43x1.18x1.14. Weight = 20 gm. Torque at 4.8 volts = 60 in-oz.

MKS 6100 -- Dimensions = .39x.89x.93. Weight = 9.5 gm. Torque at 5 volts = 46 in-oz.

Besides possible problems fitting the JR's in the fin, between the servo weight and the added weight in the nose to balance the servos you will be adding about 3 ounces to the weight of the plane with them -- nearly 5 percent of the plane weight. Given how much money you spend to get a light weight plane it is kind of sad to beef it back up with unnecessary weight.

Happy Landings,

Don
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:12 PM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Thanks Don, that is the type of info I am looking for. It is easy enough to source vendors and also to shop the various builds and forum debates about models and equipment but another to tap into specifics.

There are long threads on scary stories about every brand of servo including MKS and I have read plenty of them regarding Hyperion DS09's; Ion DS 57 and various JR servos. In my past I was pretty addicted to high performance sailplanes and tried to always invest in the best servos I could find. I don't know why with so many more servos offered these days that the choices are so much harder to make but they are.

We need a Consumer Reports for radio equipment!

The MKS 6100 servos seem very good but I would have though a more robust servo would be the ticket for flaps....not so?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:27 PM
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Reynolds View Post
Thanks Don, that is the type of info I am looking for. It is easy enough to source vendors and also to shop the various builds and forum debates about models and equipment but another to tap into specifics.

There are long threads on scary stories about every brand of servo including MKS and I have read plenty of them regarding Hyperion DS09's; Ion DS 57 and various JR servos. In my past I was pretty addicted to high performance sailplanes and tried to always invest in the best servos I could find. I don't know why with so many more servos offered these days that the choices are so much harder to make but they are.

We need a Consumer Reports for radio equipment!

The MKS 6100 servos seem very good but I would have though a more robust servo would be the ticket for flaps....not so?
I think I used the Hyperion wing servo (whatever that was) in my Supra. I used the MKS 6125 mini on both Maxas for flaps with no problems. I am using the Topmodel Fascination as a sort of test bed for some things and I am using MKS 6100's with Soaring USA's bearing supported plastic frames on the flaps to see how light I can go.

Happy Landings,

Don
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:49 PM
Joined Feb 2009
45 Posts
Yikes! Those frames are 2/3rds the cost of the servo.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:28 PM
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Reynolds View Post
Yikes! Those frames are 2/3rds the cost of the servo.
$39 per servo, $24 per pair of servo frames at Soaring USA.

I don't know if the frames are necessary, but I wanted to give them a try.

Happy Landings,

Don