HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2014, 06:30 AM
United States, MN, Park Rapids
Joined Feb 2014
436 Posts
Discussion
Introducing myself

I have been building models as long as I can remember. I built my first flying model airplane when 5-6 years old. I have been involved as a youngter in Model Railroading in HO scale and still do this. I have been involved in Radio Control airplanes since 1969. I have done R/C electric cars, R/C powered airplanes and sailplanes during that time.

I built and sailed a Kyosho Victoria sailboat a few years ago. I have been involved in full scale sailing off and on since 1975 and have owned a 16 foot wood Windmill, an Alcort Force 5, a 23 foot O'day and have now owned for 23 years a 27 foot Mirage sailboat which I sail on Leech Lake here in Minnesota.

I was a Tool & Die maker and owned my own Tool & Die and Stamping company fior 22 years. I was also a Marine Surveyor (boat inspector) for 9 years.

Weekends will find me at Leech Lake and sailing my boat during the Summer Months and Flying; or, building model airplanes during the week (I am full time retired now)

A buddy at the marina I keep my boat has a Victor America Cubed and I have just sent for a kit for this boat, which I hope to have built before the ice goes off the lake.

My buddy and I will match race our R/C boats and I hope to have fun and maybe get other people from the marina involved. I am somewhat board with R/C airplanes and want to try something different.

Anybody have any Go-Fast tips for building my America Cubed?

Thanks for your time!
md6364 is offline Find More Posts by md6364
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2014, 06:58 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Welcome to RC sail boats.
I've not got any experience with wirth Victor boats, but build it nice and true (keel, rudder and mast parallel and on the same plane) and the go faster tips depend more or less on how the sails are set up. Hopefully Victor will give you an idea in the instructions.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:10 AM
Joined Feb 2014
436 Posts
Thank you Martin!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:31 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,056 Posts
I have built several (4) Victor "Cup Series" boats on commission - mostly the "IL Moro" design. Have a modified hull of my own waiting for a finish of the build.

I would recommend sanding the inner hull surface and using WEST System epoxy for attaching the wooden keel box to the hull. Then run some fiberglass fabric along the inside of the hull, down across the bottom of the hull, and finally up the side wall of the keel box. Do this on both sides of the keel box. Finally, glue a cross beam (balsa) from the top of the keel box to each side (inside) of the hull to help transfer stress forces from the keel to the hull. Doing this will prevent any cracks at the point when keel box and hull attachment takes place.

Cover each side of your keel (blade) with fiberglass <OK>. or carbon <better> to keep flex to a minimum.

You will still need to use a set of diamond wires to control mast bend if using the wooden mast. I only go up about 3/4 of mast height. I like to control middle mast bend, but allow the top 1/4 of mast to fall off in gusts.

Insert an aluminum pin (pop rivet - cut off head) into base of mast and fabricate a plate (thin ply or plastic) for on-deck with holes so you can adjust the mast forward and aft to get weather helm right.

Be sure to add scraps of the thin ply under the deck to support your side shrouds attachments and also under deck for your jib boom attachment.. If you are using the supplied plastic for stern, back up attachment point for the back stay as well.

The hull shape is a take off of the Mistral US1Meter design, which is also similar to the hull design of an ODOM (one design). You can use their tuning tips to help get you started. Because this isn't an AMYA Class - there isn't too much discussion about trim and setup. Again, the ODOM sailing info will probably be your best guide for initial set up and future "tweaks". Good luck.

Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:48 AM
Joined Feb 2014
436 Posts
Lots of good information, Dick! Thank you!