Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
on a side note, I recently picked up a couple stock ArtTech 30mm fans and motors, when I ordered them I ordered a couple extra fan units minus the motors so I could experiment around a bit....I also have a few SkyAngels fans and motors...I wondered how the SkyAngels motor would work in the ArtTech 30mm fan...the motor fit right in, now the problem is the ArtTech rotor has a colet type shaft adapter, the shaft size on the SkyAngels motor is smaller than the stock ArtTech unit, so I had to add a "shaft thickener" by way of some small diam pushrod sleeve tubing I had laying around and the adapter fit right on nice and snug and tightened up very nicely, heat shrink material probably would work just fine too
anyhow it turns out this little unit BLLLLAAAAAAAASTS the air out! I am very impressed. went from 35mm 5 blade to 30mm 6 blade and the 6 blade rotor seems a bit more aggressive in thickness and pitch, both run up on 3s 460mah pack draws roughly the same amps... but the thrust is very noticeably more from the 30mm 6 blade unit, I have this unit in an airframe and am chomping at the bit to get the thing in the air...I "know" this set-up is going to move this jet way better than the 35mm unit did, I can tell already, dont get me wrong I like the stock SkyAngels units...but if this goes as good as I think it will go I just might be buying SkyAngels motors and ArtTech fan units to load them into

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:39 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,878 Posts
Have you seen Dave's thread about his rewound sa motor in a 30mm shroud and a cut down GWS 40mm rotor? It's roughly what you've got there. I've been running my SA 35mm on 3s and 4s at up to 200w. Pretty impressive motor!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
yep I have seen that, just did a rough thrust test on the scale, getting between 6-7ozs of thrust....with the caveat that I didnt use a digital scale and the needle was bouncing.. and I have no way to accurately tell if the scale is right
but I can say it "feels" like alot more thrust than the SA 35mm fan housing and blades.

Joe
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:34 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,878 Posts
Joe, have you tried to roll the Saber? Just wondering, because my effort to use tailerons for a similar sized edf resulted ina jet that I could steer around, but would only roll left (because of the fan torque). All of my right roll attempts were so slow that I ended up aborting. When I added aileron, run by the same two servos, it rolled great. Looks like ailerons could be added to your Saber pretty easily.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
your problem rolling might not have had anything to do with fan torque, control surface area plays a big part in handling, also servo throws can decrease responsiveness, if you have more "down" than "up" or vice-verse can have an influence ....rolling better one direction as opposed to the other could have many causes including a little more washout on one wing tip,...so dont know...every jet I have designed and built flies easily with tailerons and usually needs to have the rates for roll turned down to anywhere between 40%-60% to keep them from being too crazy on rolling. they all turn equally good one direction or the other.
ailerons can easily be added to this one, anybody building one can set it up any way they want....I wanted to go tailerons on this one so that I could keep both servos out of the airflow if possible, and since my tx was already set-up for them it was the easiest way for me

Joe
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:27 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
Hmm... Nice build Joe!, how well you think it would scale up?

Ive got a spare 40mm EDF unit sitting around just begging for an airframe and i love this Sabre so you can look forward to my build very soon ... Just got my 40mm F-35 build to finish

K
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
cool! should scale up easily to 40mm, should only need to go 5% bigger or so

Joe
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:04 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
Ok cool ill be on with it
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:36 AM
United Kingdom, New Ash Green
Joined Dec 2003
19 Posts
Build help

Hi
Thanks for sharing this great looking jet, I have just printed of the plans and have a couple of questions.

The box build it says two layers top and sides, do i just round out the insides then glue together or is there a more complicated method ?

Also the Ply wash out, are they just glued inbetween the laminates and the tip L/E ?.

Thanks in advance,

FlyingMad
flyingmad is offline Find More Posts by flyingmad
Old Aug 01, 2013, 04:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmad View Post
Hi
Thanks for sharing this great looking jet, I have just printed of the plans and have a couple of questions.

The box build it says two layers top and sides, do i just round out the insides then glue together or is there a more complicated method ?

Also the Ply wash out, are they just glued inbetween the laminates and the tip L/E ?.

Thanks in advance,

FlyingMad
almost missed your question, been hanging on the "scratchbuild" forum and havent checked this one often enough.
yes the tops and sides are dished out by sanding a round contour to the top and bottom panels, then marking the side panels where they join to the top and bottom to show how far you need to sand out to, then when glued together you wind up with a tube with a squared outside that you sand round to shape.
a better explaination is shown here on my "box frame Mig-17" project:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1842369

the wing is two layers laminated using 3M-77 spray adhesive. spray one side of the bottom layer, use scotch tape to stick the leading edges down to a flat surface, and the center trailing edge section fixed too, then slip 1/8" shims under the trailing edge tips to add washout, now spray the second layer and lay it on starting at the leading edge and gently pressing it on towards the trailing edge, this will cause washout to be permanently built into the wing, then you only need to add the sanding guidelines then sand to airfoil shape, simple...

Joe
Old Aug 04, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Dec 2003
19 Posts
Thanks Joe,

I will start the building and post up some pictures.
Old Aug 04, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
cool!

Joe
Old Dec 29, 2013, 06:57 AM
Joined Dec 2003
19 Posts
Finally Started building

Sorry it took so long but I have had a busy time of late. But here goes Wings cut out and sanded to shape, I got a little carried away with sanding and have addressed the imperfections with lightweight filer.

Name: 2013-12-29 10.06.37.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 204.1 KB
Description:

Name: 2013-12-29 10.06.45.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 169.9 KB
Description:

I am hoping to cover the wings in news paper to add strength and for the extra grams give a better finish.

Sides cut out laminated and dished out, i will attempt to do the top and bottom over the next few days.
Old Jan 01, 2014, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2003
19 Posts
Getting there

Just a progress update, Its been as wet and windy as hell here in not so Sunny KENT. So I have plenty of time to work on the F-86.

I have got to admit to really enjoying this build and the results are pretty good

Just some more painting and filing to do and then I will add the electronics.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 01:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmad View Post
Just a progress update, Its been as wet and windy as hell here in not so Sunny KENT. So I have plenty of time to work on the F-86.

I have got to admit to really enjoying this build and the results are pretty good

Just some more painting and filing to do and then I will add the electronics.
looking really good! be sure to get some video when you get her flying, would like to see it!

Joe