Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 11, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2013
67 Posts
I agree Robin, but I expect the minimal of quality control... on the right wing panel, one of the rib caps has a nice curved edge to it like someone took a dinner plate and cut a curved piece out of the edge... stuff like that should be checked... but all in all as barracudahockey stated "it is what it is"

I think the life expectancy of any one model depends on many factors, but construction and materials I don't think plays a roll... I have a 15 year old Sig 1/4 Cub that is structurally as good as the day it was built... I think Luck and common sense play a key roll in how long one can expect to keep a model... and then there's the unknown factors like failure, fate, so there's a bit of a "roll of the dice" to it... some have great luck, while others aren't so lucky like me ... I can say to some certainty, that a "shelf queen" will out last them all

BTW, when you get that state trooper super cub finished, it will be unique to itself, and you'll be surprised how much interest it will draw... someone over on RCUniverse built a Sig 1/4 Cub and converted it to a state trooper super cub (similar scheme to yours I believe) and it was raffled off in a fund raiser for their club... was very well done, and very nice looking color scheme.

John M,
John_M_ is offline Find More Posts by John_M_
Last edited by John_M_; Jul 11, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:36 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
John,

I missed that one, it is a very distinctive scheme. I did several repaints (I think I'm up to 20 now) for the quarter scale Super Cub on RealFlight and the AST Cub was one of them (so I could get used to flying it). They do have one 'unmarked' Super Cub (N7051) in a white with red trim scheme.

On the subject of longitivity, I imagine that the 14 years 'in service' that my buddy has had with his H9 J-3 Cub is probably more of a testament to his maintenance practices and flying skills than who built the model. One of his favorite sayings when he was teaching me was, "they all have expiration dates, they're just not printed on it"!

Got a box full of parts for the project today so I suppose I'd better get something done!

Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diversion: My Easy Star Hack
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:25 PM
Joined Dec 2013
67 Posts
Here's the link... post #1524... the link should open to the correct post#... it does look like the same scheme you are doing.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...l#post11813112

John M,
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
Wow! Thats the same tail number I did the color scheme for in RealFlight!
Researching the AST aircraft though I found that N7058 was built the year I was born so I decided to model that aircraft. Thank you for posting that link (there isn't an overabundance of AST Cub photos on the net and those are now in my collection)! The only thing I wondered about was who chose the interior colors?

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:10 AM
Joined Dec 2013
67 Posts
Interesting, I just noticed the red interior... probably remanence of the original super cub, before it was repainted... white would be a good neutral color.

John M,
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
No the red & black is the standard color on their ships interiors. On the Alaska State Troopers Shows with Super Cub footage some have red painted wing roots and some have black but the rest of the interiors are red & black! No worries though, I can paint the interior red just as easily as any other color! The last three shots were video captures from the show. That helment will be interesting to sculpt!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Jul 12, 2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Edited photo caption
Old Jul 12, 2014, 08:27 PM
Joined Dec 2013
67 Posts
Interesting... that is the most obnoxious color to have as an interior, that red just burns my retinas... at least the tubular frame wasn't painted red... a nice bright neutral color that's easy on the eyes would be my choice... I like the instrument panel layout though, nice and tidy .

John M,
Old Jul 12, 2014, 08:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
Maybe they're trying to keep the pilot's from spending too much time in the cockpit!

I hope you guys don't mind me asking questions on your thread even though I'm building the old one but I do plan on using several items from the new one. Got a box full of parts yesterday so I can continue with the build!

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:59 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,213 Posts
There was a spray paint available from auto parts stores, labeled "Trunk paint"..

It contained white and gray flecks of paint that covered most seams in car trunks.

It could be used to resemble the 'Rhino-Hyde' in the picture...I'll research it,and come back with a description.

I didn't realise Super Cubs were far from 'simple' .-that instrument panel is busy !
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:56 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,437 Posts
Earl,

It is a bit busy (but neat) you suppose the device on top of the glare shield is a GPS mount? I got the first three pics from a gentleman in the AST aircraft maintenance division. He told me that the floor finishes varied depending on who did the rebuild. When I was in contact with them they were in the process of modifying their fleet with the addition of a right wing mounted landing light assembly with wig-wag lights and a rudder mounted split red/fwd white/aft strobe , I'd love to add them to the model but I really don't want to turn this into a retirement project!

Robin
RCG Plus Member