HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Nov 2009
27 Posts
Discussion
Is the Nikon 1 aerofobic?

Wonder if somebody can help me. Bought a Nikon 1 J1 to use with my DJI NAZA GPS frame wheel hexacopter but it's not working out as planned. The photos are all blurred. I've tried reducing shutter to 1/1000 and disabling all enhancement features of the camera. Full zoom out. Interval timer set to 5s (the stupid camera won't allow less). Also tried manual focus set to eternity with little improvement. Any suggestions? Is there some other camera with approximately the same weight that would work better (except GoPro)? When I put the old Nikon D80 on the hexacopter the pictures were all right with no special settings.
Nuckan is offline Find More Posts by Nuckan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:15 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Aside from the VR being the culprit I am not sure as to why you are seeing the blur. 1/1000 is plenty fast. You said you have the enhancements disabled...Does this include the VR?? Some cams (Canon is good for this) even with the stabilization off will still get blur from the mechachics.

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:46 AM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
I'm using the Nikon V1 with the 10-30mm lens on my hexa. Not sure if the J1 has all the settings, but I shoot at shutter priority set to 1/600 sec., ISO 100, and zoomed out to the widest angle. I also set the camera's Vibration Reduction setting set to "Active" and the interval timer to either 5 or 10 sec. I've had no problem with focusing, but found the vibration reduction setting helped, especially when shooting video.

A few images can be seen here: http://www.caltel.com/~jforkner/aerials/aerials.html

Jack
jforkner is offline Find More Posts by jforkner
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Nov 2009
27 Posts
Thanks. Very nice pictures. Gives me some hope. I'll have another go with the VR active (assuming that it affects also camera mode). Doesn't the the combination 1/600 and ISO 100 give you underexposed pictures? Maybe not, in sunny California? /Claes.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:06 AM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
You're right, the conditions need to be appropriate for those settings.

This photo was taken at f/6.3, 1/640, & ISO 100.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Nov 2009
27 Posts
Tried shutter priority 1/640, ISO 400 and VR on. Still no luck with the Nikon 1.
High Altitude Multirotor Photography (1 min 48 sec)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:46 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Strange...I really dont see a reason as to why this is happening.

You say you are using the interval timer?? Can you trigger the camera with a servo or other means? It might be that the cam is taking the first focus grab and keeping it throughout the shots. If you are seeing clear shots when shooting on the ground you should be able to get this to work.

Mike
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
6 Posts
The Nikon 1 uses a CMOS sensor and the D80 is CCD.

The CCD "snaps" the entire sensor into a buffer which is read by the processor in the camera. A CMOS sensor data is read from the sensor itself, so any movement shows up as blur. Most people describe it as a "Rolling Shutter".

Given similar specs on the camera body and lens, a CCD based camera will almost always make sharper images (of moving subjects) than any CMOS camera.
SteveMann is offline Find More Posts by SteveMann
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:15 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMann View Post
The Nikon 1 uses a CMOS sensor and the D80 is CCD.

The CCD "snaps" the entire sensor into a buffer which is read by the processor in the camera. A CMOS sensor data is read from the sensor itself, so any movement shows up as blur. Most people describe it as a "Rolling Shutter".

Given similar specs on the camera body and lens, a CCD based camera will almost always make sharper images (of moving subjects) than any CMOS camera.
I have to disagree, the only area where CMOS/rolling shutter is a factor is when shooting video. What we are seeing here is completely different.

Mike
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:39 AM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
How does the camera perform on the ground? Images sharp? If so, perhaps you have a vibration problem. If not, perhaps something wrong with your particular camera.

What lens are you using?

Jack
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Nov 2009
27 Posts
It seems to work fine for ordinary photography. Yes, there are some vibrations in the hexacopter even though I balanced all the props. The Nikon D80 had no problems with this. I'll probably try going up to at least 1/2000 sec.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Nov 2009
27 Posts
Tried shutter 1/2000 wich yielded ISO 720. Maybe I'll have to rethink and build a new camera mount.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:29 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
You could try the mount I used on one of my quads, it's simple as heck....

Simple Sony NEX-5n manual gimbal (5 min 36 sec)

Mike
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Nov 2009
27 Posts
Nice setup. Was that a NEX? Does it work good for aerial?
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:03 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Yup...it's the 5n. It works so well that I retired my low end DSLRs. Here is a gallery of some of my first shots with the 16mm pancake lens. I now use the new Sigma 19mm as it is sharper wide open. The 16mm gets a tad soft below F4. Roll your mouse over the selected image and you can choose what size up to original.

There are other pics and videos in other galleries from the 5n as well...

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...7180&k=QTJCbWP

Mike