Old May 04, 2014, 08:05 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
No clue here either.......
Don't worry, he has no idea what he's talking about either. So how can any of us follow??

BTW - the idiot took down the YouTube video, but some intrepid person (not me) already archived it:

DJI Phantom drone crash at the Grand Canyon (9 min 5 sec)
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2014, 09:15 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntpixel View Post
Interesting. I have FOIA,d on a state level and according to law that state agency responded within the allowed time frame.

What are the laws concerning FOIA and a federal entity anyway?
they can take as long as they want there is time frame
they can also turn down requests sighting "national security issues"
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old May 04, 2014, 11:34 PM
AMA 112747
Neptune Beach FL USA
Joined Nov 2000
872 Posts
If you have any questions just post them here and Someone who knows everything will answer, whether you want them to, or not. Anything from quantum physics to how to blow a bubblegum bubble!
beachflyer is online now Find More Posts by beachflyer
Old May 05, 2014, 01:17 AM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Patrick FOIA'd the FAA for ARC 2 and they replied http://www.suasnews.com/2011/11/10245/uas-arc-2-0/ they obviously did'nt think that was much of a worry as we have had several other FOIA requests in that have gone unanswered for several years.
But very quick to release the new hobbyist Proposed Assessment to the media last week.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 01:20 AM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
876 Posts
Quote:
Interesting. I have FOIA,d on a state level and according to law that state agency responded within the allowed time frame.

What are the laws concerning FOIA and a federal entity anyway?
They have a limited period to respond, but they keep asking for extension after extension. It gets to a point where you have to file a lawsuit, which you typically can win, but that's expensive. To be fair, the agencies are all swamped with these requests.

Here's a blow-by-blow account of one of these concerning the RC cease-and-desist letters:
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-...-letters-4768/
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 01:17 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
Don't worry, he has no idea what he's talking about either. So how can any of us follow??

BTW - the idiot took down the YouTube video, but some intrepid person (not me) already archived it:

http://vimeo.com/93916825
Unbelievable. Crap for brains.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old May 05, 2014, 02:19 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
They have a limited period to respond, but they keep asking for extension after extension. It gets to a point where you have to file a lawsuit, which you typically can win, but that's expensive. To be fair, the agencies are all swamped with these requests.

Here's a blow-by-blow account of one of these concerning the RC cease-and-desist letters:
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-...-letters-4768/
Ah, I'm familiar with the "kick the can down the road" response. And it is true that they get busy and get a back log.

Whether my own experience in government or large corporations, this is familiar territory for me. You'd likely find what you'd expect to find if you did a non-value add study; the amount of cumulative time spent responding to these update inquiries likely exceeds the amount of work time required to resolve and fulfill the request.

In corporations, such behavior usually results in unhappy customers, loss of business, etc. So they try to fix it. But the big Fed has no such constraints, so for them it becomes advantageous to mis-balance the workforce against the takt time requirements of the customer (e.g. citizens).

Tragic, but easy to understand.
dapple63 is online now Find More Posts by dapple63
Old May 05, 2014, 03:07 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapple63 View Post
Tragic, but easy to understand.
And easy to understand that it just don't work!
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 05, 2014, 09:26 PM
Will fly for food!
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Jun 2013
1,439 Posts
So,my new S800 Evo with Z15 came today. Still cannot find anyone to underwrite a insurance policy other than liability.

My question is how are others flying RCAP commercially without a policy that would not only cover you liability wise,but also for loss of equipment if a crash/mishap occured that damaged the craft?
Burntpixel is offline Find More Posts by Burntpixel
Old May 05, 2014, 10:21 PM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
918 Posts
The only thing you could do more foolish than getting into the RCAP business would be to get in the RCAP comprehensive insurance business. The guys like myself who have been doing this for a number of years, understand that self insuring our aircraft is just part of the business. That is why we are so damn cautious.

Quote:
So,my new S800 Evo with Z15 came today. Still cannot find anyone to underwrite a insurance policy other than liability.

My question is how are others flying RCAP commercially without a policy that would not only cover you liability wise,but also for loss of equipment if a crash/mishap occured that damaged the craft?
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Old May 05, 2014, 10:51 PM
Will fly for food!
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Jun 2013
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Youens View Post
The only thing you could do more foolish than getting into the RCAP business would be to get in the RCAP comprehensive insurance business.
Foolish? How?
Burntpixel is offline Find More Posts by Burntpixel
Old May 06, 2014, 06:11 AM
Joined Feb 2009
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Unbelievable. Crap for brains.
On this we can agree
Rusty105 is online now Find More Posts by Rusty105
Old May 06, 2014, 06:59 AM
Joined Jul 2013
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Foolish? How?
I believe he means:

RCAP business foolish, in the sense that it's a tough way to make a living. Vaguely threatening regulatory environment, a jillion competitors with Phantoms who will under charge because they're keeping the day jobs, plenty of risks, expensive gear that always wants to destroy itself, and so on,

RCAP Equipment Insurance business foolish in the sense that pretty much everything you'd be covering WILL get damaged along the way, and you'd be facing endless conflicts over who's at fault, what's covered, etc. You'd spend all your time educating a small handful of possibly legit prospective clients about why any policy that will actually pay for crashed gear is going to be very expensive, and why the competition's cheaper policies won't do what everyone hopes they'll do.

Over a not very long period off time, especially considering the rate a which the evolving technology involved makes everything you own worth a fraction of what you paid for it, just setting aside some money to replace damaged gear probably makes more sense. If you crash the S800 you bought 2 years ago, insurance (that isn't crazy expensive) isn't going to buy you a brand new EVO version off the shelf today. A plan that WOULD buy you the current version of anything you destroy will cost you more than just saving the money for self insurance anyway.
IronAgeMedia is online now Find More Posts by IronAgeMedia
Old May 06, 2014, 07:01 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105 View Post
On this we can agree
Be still, my heart. Frankly, I'd rather be beaten in a dark alley by an ugly woman..
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; May 06, 2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 06, 2014, 07:32 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronAgeMedia View Post
What's your point? Be specific, with whole sentences. The AMA has nothing to do with stuff like this.

I know, i was being sarcastic, because on the thread about the balcony guys who also crashed , others claimed ama should be phoned or has something todo with it.

Cheers
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)