Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,920 Posts
It seems the solution for dual elevators at the moment is programmable digitals.

At $120 a piece you want to make sure they work.

Would the Guardian cope with 5x 65gram digital servos that draw 3.5 amps each at stall? Would it require special setup?
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
448 Posts
Guardian in my Cessna, great camera ship

Cessna at the Knab (9 min 12 sec)

Amazing water flights today with the Icon - vid later

Cheers,

Rory
RoryG is online now Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Lerwick from Staney Hill
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
745 Posts
guardian says,
if your servos are going to pull more than 5amps you should be using a "y" cable ..., i think the deal is they don't want over 5amps through those flimsy wires, it's in the supplied instructions
how about axis assignable aux input, that way it could be in an update and not an upgrade
if you follow the 80% rule... it should be 4 amps max

mc
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Aug 11, 2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: ...'cuz i wanted to
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:25 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
745 Posts
here is a .pdf of all of the pages of this thread since 2/17/12 thru today 8/12/12, just under 4mB's in total size searchable content if you get one of those little freeware apps.
these pdf's show 100 post per pdf page

michael clyde

this is a portable version, no installation needed, just unpack the zip file and click on the ,exe file. this freeware is the best thing i've found for searching inside pdf files, such as this thread contained in these 2 pdf files

"The FREE PDF viewer download of the PDF-XChange Viewer may be used without limitation for Private, Commercial, Government and all uses, provided it is not -: incorporated or distributed for profit/commercial gain with other software or media distribution of any type - without first gaining permission."
Last edited by mchldpy; Aug 14, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:56 AM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
On my plane with 2 elev servos i just use to servo from diffant mangf that went in diffrent direction to start with like a jr on one side and futaba on the other
lesodell is offline Find More Posts by lesodell
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:53 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Quote:
I have the Equalizer II on a giant scale P-47 (No gyros though) and they are $44 each. Like anything, it's a cost benifit thing.
I fully understand the complexities of getting two Elev. servo to work in perfect harmony. I have watched pattern flyers spend hours tweaking Transmitter adjustments to prevent mis tracking during a simple (?) inside loop.

I guess my real issue is that if one is flying what I consider a fairly expensive to purchase,assemble and equip aircraft then why should they be so concerned with whatever addational electronics it requires to fine tune it? I shy away from larger / more expensive aircraft myself. I am content to fly up to 52" aircraft which cost perhaps $600 max. . Given these limits the Guardian as is does a fantastic job. If all of the previusly mentioned feactures were added to a V2(?) version the cost may well put it out of reach (budget) of those of us who want something extremly cost effective for its; capabilities.

Who knows RC electronics are advancing so fast that perhaps in the not to distant futhure one can purchase a 32 channel radio system with matching aircraft RTF with full stabilization ,auto pilot, pre programed precession manuvers all available out of the box. Things sure have changed during the 49 years I have been in RC!

I am currently flying primarely a Blade 130 X and while its' AS3X (flybarless) system is no where near what the Guardian is capable of it makes the heli about 10,000 times easier to fly and maintain than the Concept 30 helis I first learned to fly over 20 years.

For clarification : Guardian is not being used in this or any other Heli by me at this point in time. ET has stated that a heli version is in the plans but no timeframe has been mentioned.

I have a blade 400 that could use a more dump thumbs proof safety device and have seriously considered converting it to flay bar less . My son converted a Blade 450 to FBL a few weeks ago for around $100 and it is truely impressive.

Next logical question perhaps is would Guardian be compatible with a FBL heli and would pero compensation be included?

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,852 Posts
JR & spectrum digitals can be bought in "Reverse" configuration. Hitec are programmable & they have several programmers 1 of which can be used to test out the servo without using the radio.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Way back when Transmitters did not have servo reversing and a 4 Ch. came with 3 standard rotation and 1 reversed one everyone planned their installation with care. Myself and others who understood how servos worked and could solder well reversed many servos for fellow club members. I even installed duel rates on many transmitters without this feacture.
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 12, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
billpa,

Can you add a wizard similar to the RTH wizard for the OSD pro to set the the servo deflections on the Servo Config Tab? It's not very easy to do the trial and error method to set each one.

Thanks,
Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
It seems the solution for dual elevators at the moment is programmable digitals.

At $120 a piece you want to make sure they work.

Would the Guardian cope with 5x 65gram digital servos that draw 3.5 amps each at stall? Would it require special setup?
Checked at Servo City and a hitec HS 5485HB digital servo is like $25
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5485hb_servo.html

and their programmer is like $70

http://www.servocity.com/html/hfp-25...rogrammer.html
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Is this unit only sold direct through ET?
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:13 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
745 Posts
readymaderc.com
dpcav.com
rctoys.com
to name a few, also more on e/t's website

michael

** This poster was Awarded 1 point for... wait this isn't hobbyking, never mind
Last edited by mchldpy; Aug 12, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jun 2012
85 Posts
I got mine from hobbywireless.com. Last week when I ordered they were the only dealer with the Guardian in stock (and they still show stock).
Aerocowboy is offline Find More Posts by Aerocowboy
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
745 Posts
aerocowboy,
i called h/wireless a couple of months ago when the guardian was shipping to see if they would have any units and all i got was a recording of a mexican fellow (sounded like a good ole mom and pop set up) and after hearing his voice and being from south teXas, it made me so homesick i called back five times just to listen, he picked up the last time so i hung up , embarrassed.
i see you live in the big metroplex of bryan-college station... l_l gig-em

michael clyde
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jun 2012
85 Posts
Hah. Yeah, I was excited that the only Guardian source I could find was in San Antonio - cheap shipping was quick, for sure!

Gig 'Em!
Aerocowboy is offline Find More Posts by Aerocowboy