HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Beautiful weather here in Carolinas today. I got several packs through my larger planes and then finished off with a dusk flight with my 3D Beast. Sorry the video is grainy... there wasn't much light! Nothing great here... just some cruising and hovering. I hoped to capture some good torque rolls but didn't really get any. I got one decent one for a few rotations... still working on controlling those.

3D Beast - Late Evening Flying (5 min 11 sec)
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Turnerm,

Nice flying - as usual! Smooth as butter! I especially enjoyed the low, slow, and smooth inverted harriers & KE harrier circuits. Nice hover & torque-rolls from about 1:50-2:00.

It was 72 F today. I headed to the field after work with the B3D, Gee Bee, and mCP X.

The wind was out of the north @ 6-11 MPH at first, but it calmed down to just a breath of a breeze by the time I got to the field. Was an absolutely perfect evening for flying! Surprisingly, I was the only one there! Well..aside from a gaggle of geese that weren't so happy about the invasion of airspace. So, I flew pretty much nonstop until dusk. I ran 10 Hyp 240 packs through the Beast 3D. Had a blast shooting touch & gos, doing inverted harriers, KE loops, point-rolls, and torque-rolls. Shooting touch & gos was so much fun, I flew three packs just practicing scale takeoffs & landings. I played around with two-wheel takeoffs & power-on, two-wheel landings - where I would let the tail come down on its own. Was an absolute blast!

I also put a lot of stick-time on the Gee Bee. I spent most of the time flying scale laps, doing climbing KE passes, shooting touch & gos, and shooting full-stop landings. I spent over a half-hour just doing scale two-wheel takeoffs & shooting scale two-wheel landings - with the tail flying until it comes down on its own. I was grinning from ear to ear!

I worked on my scale flying with the mCP X.

As if that wasn't enough for a relaxing evening at the field - while I was flying the last flight of the day with the Gee Bee, I heard the unmistakeable sound of an AT-6 heading my way. I maneuvered the Gee Bee into a position so I could watch the AT-6 as I flew. The Texan flew right down the runway @ about 1500' AGL! I brought the Gee Bee around & quickly landed. The AT-6 came around for another pass over the runway! I waved to the pilot as he flew over. He executed a tight 180-degree turn at a 90-degree bank-angle, made one more pass over the field, and then headed back toward the airport. As he flew over the runway the last time, he wagged his wings.

What a perfect ending for a perfect flying session!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:36 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Sounds like an awesome evening of flying!! It also sounds like you had a touch of the same awesome weather we got today!

I love shooting touch and go's with my Beast. Just something about it that never gets old!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:50 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
What thickness epp is that?? I've got some 5mm and want something similar!

Bowerz,

9mm

Have you seen the latest slick?
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-E...a-Slick-32.htm

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:48 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Bowerz,

9mm

Have you seen the latest slick?
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-E...a-Slick-32.htm

rc
Which battery would you recommend for a 32" twisted slick?

Dave
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,173 Posts
2s 450mah http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-450-2s1p.html I love my twisted hobbys planes.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:37 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Which battery would you recommend for a 32" twisted slick?

Dave
I've got the Crack Yak and it's also a blast. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those (CY or Extra Slick) to be honest.

I'm running mine on a 3s setup with an Eflite 300 and 3s 500 batteries. TONS of fun.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Try again

I know this is pretty simple/minor stuff here, but, what is the BEST WAY to remove the wheel pants, BEFORE I fly it.
They rotate easily, but don't want to come off very easily, don't want to damage them, may want to put them back on when I get comfortable with it.
Hopefully maiden this week.
And NO, flying around the house, and landing on a shag rug, IS NOT an option

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
I thought they twisted off?
Make sure that the hub is rotating, the wheel pant may have come loose and just rotating on the hub...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:14 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post

I know this is pretty simple/minor stuff here, but, what is the BEST WAY to remove the wheel pants, BEFORE I fly it.
They rotate easily, but don't want to come off very easily, don't want to damage them, may want to put them back on when I get comfortable with it.
Hopefully maiden this week.
And NO, flying around the house, and landing on a shag rug, IS NOT an option

RUD
Just hold the wheel and rotate the wheel pant counter clockwise. It is threaded onto the axle.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Just hold the wheel and rotate the wheel pant counter clockwise. It is threaded onto the axle.
But then his wheels will fall off... but you knew that, right?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
But then his wheels will fall off... but you knew that, right?
Yea... but he didn't ask about that part. I figured I'd let him figure that out once he got the wheel pants off.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Too simple.

Quote:
There's ALWAYS right and wrong way to do things, and a comedian .
Thanks turnerm, that worked.

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Yea... but he didn't ask about that part. I figured I'd let him figure that out once he got the wheel pants off.
You're a bad man...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:40 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post

There's ALWAYS right and wrong way to do things, and a comedian .
Thanks turnerm, that worked.

RUD
Seriosuly though... see the notes above and below. Those wheel pants are not only a bad excuse for an asthetically pleasing scale detail but they also hold your wheels onto the axle.

So if you don't want them on there then you'll need to find something to hold the wheels in place.