Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:18 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
Still waiting for flight reports.

C'mon guys. How is this thing performing as a stabilizer??
Flew mine a few times already, works a treat, just make sure you balance your props and cut down on vibrations as much as you can (I always do that anyway, so for me this was a no-brainer).

If you are looking to buy an OSD with RTH *THIS* is the one to get, period.

One comment that I would like to make though: RangeVideo needs to get that v5.0 manual finished soon and I would strongly suggest to include a clear and well documented example of a typical install into a plane, setting up everything from A to Z.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:28 AM
SX_
.........lost..........
Zambia, Lusaka, Lusaka
Joined Jun 2005
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
I sent the unit in for evaluation. The Video in is on the outside pins and out is the next one. Unless defining like some old stereo sound systems do where out goes to out and in means into the others in.
I have had a microwave rcvr chip zapped by a Post Office Xray scanner in the past. Such is a possibility.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9020452AADyo0b
Hey EarthOrbiter

Sorry maybe im not understanding you, but your not getting VIDEO?
see the attachement, you dont have your signal wire connected on your RVOSD, the signal is the INSIDE pin and the NEGATIVE is the OUTSIDE.

as i said if i understood you incorectly just ignore my post

Cheers
Willie
SX_ is offline Find More Posts by SX_
Old Jul 09, 2011, 06:29 AM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
How long till the airspeed comes out, if the gen 5 had this already, I would have bought 3 of them. I find it odd that it didn't have it to start with, as airspeed is so important.
Marc
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Jul 09, 2011, 06:43 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixturethis View Post
How long till the airspeed comes out, if the gen 5 had this already, I would have bought 3 of them. I find it odd that it didn't have it to start with, as airspeed is so important.
Marc
Airspeed is irrelevant for FPV airplanes for the simple reason they usually don't fly that fast. If you can't see that the pickup/decline in speed you see in the OSD tailwind/headwind you're flying into then I suggest you don't bother with flight instruments. Actually ground speed, i.e. what most OSDs report, is far more relevant as that gives you actual speed of the plane v.s the ground beneath it. If you just had airspeed and no ground speed you could be fighting a headwind and not make any progress whatsoever and not even notice it.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:49 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
It is hooked up correctly as your diagram indicates.
When the two wires that pass video are connected through the OSD there is no video. The pictures I have shows it bypassing the unit.
This verified the passing of video.
#1 The camera output works.
#2 The Vid Tx powers and works.
#3 The monitor works.
#4 The OSD does not work.

Thanks for the diagram for others

Take care,

Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX_ View Post
Hey EarthOrbiter

Sorry maybe im not understanding you, but your not getting VIDEO?
see the attachement, you dont have your signal wire connected on your RVOSD, the signal is the INSIDE pin and the NEGATIVE is the OUTSIDE.

as i said if i understood you incorectly just ignore my post

Cheers
Willie
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,805 Posts
I should fly mine today.

I went from RVOSD G4 to DragonOSD because the lack of IMU, then I switched back to RVOSD before I ever finished getting my DOSD working correctly because of some equipment failures.

After playing with both I'd say this.

RVOSD documentation is better, but both are pretty bad. Good gosh guys can we get a good manual so I don't have to search all over forums for info?

DOSD is smaller, but no much after you buy the extra IMU board.
Honestly, the RVOSD's physical layout is better than the DOSD.

RVOSD is easier to set up in general. IMU is included whereas you have to buy it extra for the DOSD and its a pain to set up (flash, calibrate, blah blah).

DOSD has PC software for setup and Waypoint editing. This is a HUGE plus.
RVOSD has that little remote which is really nice as well but I'd trade it for a serial port and a GUI...
DOSD has built in GPS logging on board, no need for a ground station etc.

DOSD has better options for screen customization. The X/Y edge adjustment for DOSD was nice.

All this being said, I have no idea how either one flys because I've never had time to let the auto pilot do it's thing in either one.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:47 AM
Miami
Joined Dec 2001
1,641 Posts
RVOSD5 manual is being written by pro right now )

And we plan to release PC GUI to work with current RVOSD5 hardware. This is far from being completed , though.

Antenna tracking station coming soon also.
reznikvova is offline Find More Posts by reznikvova
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:13 AM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
I disagree, I use airspeed all the time with ground speed to let me know what speed & direction the winds are doing. I live in kansas & the wind always blows here. I've seen 15 mph headwind at take off to 500 then 0 wind Fromm 500ft to 1200ft. Then 5 mph tailwind up to 3200 ft. So I use it to let me know some more info to better use my battery energy. Also it is a good way to figure out stall speed & most efficient speeds to cruise at.
Marc
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:06 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
Flew mine a few times already, works a treat, just make sure you balance your props and cut down on vibrations as much as you can (I always do that anyway, so for me this was a no-brainer).

Sander - ImmersionRC
Ok. Based on this post, I have made an order for the upgrade board. Hopefully my RVOSD 4.0 will finally be take off.

Cheers,

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixturethis View Post
I disagree, I use airspeed all the time with ground speed to let me know what speed & direction the winds are doing. I live in kansas & the wind always blows here. I've seen 15 mph headwind at take off to 500 then 0 wind Fromm 500ft to 1200ft. Then 5 mph tailwind up to 3200 ft. So I use it to let me know some more info to better use my battery energy. Also it is a good way to figure out stall speed & most efficient speeds to cruise at.
Marc

For a much more reliable , higher resolution control of your airframe under autonomous flight airspeed (AS) is the missing link. Without AS input your autopilot function is "guessing" at the correct throttle input required for full control. Having said that, I don't think AS is really necessary if you know your airframe for non autonomous flight. Without AS I still can tell the wind direction and velocity by GS alone . If you know your cruise speed ( determined by flying on a calm day) make a slow 360 turn and watch your GS. When it is at it's lowest that is the wind direction, then subtract that from your known cruise speed and that is the wind velocity. Easy. Yes I know for a fixed throttle setting your AS will decay a bit but this really not that critical. We are only talking a few MPH. Yes, I fly with AS whenever I can and Yes, RVOSD please make AS part of your OSD.

Bob
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Last edited by hobbyboy; Jul 09, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:23 PM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,298 Posts
#14444 , lets give it a go :-D
Blackrat is online now Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post

One comment that I would like to make though: RangeVideo needs to get that v5.0 manual finished soon and I would strongly suggest to include a clear and well documented example of a typical install into a plane, setting up everything from A to Z.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
Sander,

You set your self up for this so I have to ask. If I don't need RTH, what OSD should I get if I want the best?
No caveats other then RTH. :-)

Bob
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:34 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
For a much more reliable , higher resolution control of your airframe under autonomous flight airspeed (AS) is the missing link. Without AS input your autopilot function is "guessing" at the correct throttle input required for full control. Having said that, I don't think AS is really necessary if you know your airframe for non autonomous flight. Without AS I still can tell the wind direction and velocity by GS alone . If you know your cruise speed ( determined by flying on a calm day) make a slow 360 turn and watch your GS. When it is at it's lowest that is the wind direction, then subtract that from your known cruise speed and that is the wind velocity. Easy. Yes I know for a fixed throttle setting your AS will decay a bit but this really not that critical. We are only talking a few MPH. Yes, I fly with AS whenever I can and Yes, RVOSD please make AS part of your OSD.

Bob
For UAV use yes, for FPV no, as I hope the guy on the ground has enough smarts to figure out he's fighting a headwind and that's why his groundspeed is low.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:38 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reznikvova View Post
RVOSD5 manual is being written by pro right now )
Pay him a little extra to include the below quote suggestion, your customers will be thankful and you won't have as many RMAs to deal with from people that can't seem to get it to work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen
I would strongly suggest to include a clear and well documented example of a typical install into a plane, setting up everything from A to Z
Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:52 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
If I don't need RTH, what OSD should I get if I want the best?
[shameless plug]EzOSD, you don't need anything else really if you don't want RTH or an IMU. It is super simple to set up, plug 'n play if you buy one of our transmitters and one of the Fatshark cameras. You just plug it all in, power up, done, no soldering required! You get all the relevant info, none of the screen clutter and of course proven reliability by some of the experienced folks that really put it through the wringer (for example he who shall not be named but who's name sounds a lot like crappy).[/shameless plug]

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC