HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:33 AM
Olympia, WA, USA
Joined May 2003
389 Posts
Short antennas for park flyers

I was told that there are very short antennas available to use in park flyers. Can anyone tell me what these are called, where to get them, and how well they work?
Air-Gar is offline Find More Posts by Air-Gar
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:54 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,369 Posts
Most of them are base loaded antennas and price and availablity depend on the particular model. They do reduce the range of the receiver. Some about 10% so more. There is an Ezone member you sells his model by mailorder and he has a post here in Parkflyers. It is called Jim's Antennas and you can find it by searching "antennas" He may well spot your post and respond. I have bought several of his for about $6.00 each (I think that's the amount) and they work fine. For parkflyers that you are going to keep well within the receivers stated range there is little harm in loosing the last 100 feet of the 1000 foot range when you always keep the plane within 500 feet of you.
Other people make their own versions and I have seen one version of them at R/C Country in Sacramento for $10.00 each. hope that helps.
PS I have one of Jim's antennas in use in my Funky Chicken!
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Aug 11, 2003 at 09:58 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:20 AM
Olympia, WA, USA
Joined May 2003
389 Posts
Michael,
Thanks very much. I'll check this out.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 11:49 AM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
They work great in parkflyers. There are several different types, like the M-72U from Azarr (ecubedrc.com). He also makes a mid-loaded antenna like the one Mike Heer descibed, the Azarr lite. There are others as well, like the Deans base-loaded antenna. I have used the Azarr antennas with great success, and one of my friends has used the Deans base-loaded successfully. I have some Lightennas on order as well. Take your pick, I think they are all good products.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Aug 11, 2003, 11:59 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,917 Posts
Are any of the micro antenna's available in 35Mhz? as i've had no
luck in finding any

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Aug 11, 2003, 12:16 PM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
Azarr makes his Antenna in 35mhz.: http://www.ecubedrc.com/antennas.htm

I carry Jim's Litenna (I've zero glitching in my GWS 4-Channel receivers since switching to them) for 5.50 each: www.ParkFlyerMotors.com

If you JUST need a Litenna, E-mail me, and we'll work out a more affordable shipping means than the standard 6.00.

WJ
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham
Old Aug 11, 2003, 12:23 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Cool - WJ I just sent you a message about the affordable shipping!
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:14 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
I've been wrapping my antennas around a regular drinking straw cut to around 5 inches (the straw, not the antenna) and have not had any problems so far flying at distances were I can still see the plane.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Aug 11, 2003, 07:52 PM
Olympia, WA, USA
Joined May 2003
389 Posts
Thanks everyone for this valuable information.
I'll follow up on it right away.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:01 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Another advantage to both my Lightenna and Azarr's is that you save a few grams over the old clunker antenna.

Happy|Harry, I've got a 35MHz version in beta testing now. Should be a few more weeks till there is a cheaper 35MHz short antenna out there.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:01 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by babblefish
I've been wrapping my antennas around a regular drinking straw cut to around 5 inches (the straw, not the antenna) and have not had any problems so far flying at distances were I can still see the plane.
The last reciever I bought, a Hitec Electron 6, they included a piece of plastic specifically for you to wrap the antenna on,.... if you wanted to. Warnings included not overlapping the wire. I'd heard of the HLG guys doing it but I never thought a mfgr would come out and sugggest it. It must work.

Blaze
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:03 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
I haven't ever range tested my WS Deans whip to the point of signal loss. Actually, I haven't tested a regular wire that far either. I think my Hitec instructions recommend a successful range test at 50 yds with the tx antenna collapsed, and I get bored of walking at 150 yds. That's both factory wire and whip.

I'm using a Berg 5-DSP with it, and have calculated altitude (via aerial photo & trig) at 2300' and altimeter readings to 2000'. With a 4-5' span Slowstick or glider, losing sight happens well before losing range.

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē