HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2013, 07:59 AM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. In addition, thanks to the good people at Intelitek being given your PDF of the manual - I have this response below from them. I will report back and add some pictures too. The motor name plate is a Fischer, 3 phase, 42-220V, 2.9A, 50-450 Hz, .1-.79Kw.

I will try to add a photo of the name plate later.

I really appreciate the help.
milldalton is offline Find More Posts by milldalton
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2013, 07:59 AM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Here's the suggestions from Intelitek:

The overcurrent error on the drive is pointing to a fault in the motor. Try moving the MAN/CNC switch to manual and turning the potentiometer to min. Will the spindle motor turn on?

Check the wiring on the spindle motor. Is there a capacitor between terminals 4 and 5?

Try disconnecting the Blue, Black and Red wires from the motor at the U, V and W connections of the drive. Turn on the motor. Obviously the motor wont rotate with the wires disconnected but do you still get the over current error or does it go away with the motor disconnected?"
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:30 AM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Here's the results of a few tests:

When looking into the motor connections, there is no capacitor between terminals 4 and 5.

When we tried to start up in manual and spindle at zero, we got the green light and the controller display showed an F 0.0. Then when we tried to increase the speed with the knob very slowly, it ran away and went into error 12.

Next we, disconnected the Red, Black and Blue wires from the controller. A repeat of the start up with manual and zero for the speed yielded the same result, green light and 0.0 and then run away numbers and error 12 when the knob was turned slightly.

The next thing we tried was to repeat this with the control switch in CNC mode, spindle speed at 0 and turn spindle on, this gave the green light again and a speed display of zero. Tried stepping up the speed from small numbers, when we tried 100 (range is 0 to 42,000), the display showed increasing numbers that rapidly ran away and into error 12 again.

Sounds like an issue with the Lust controller - I asked Intelitek if they had any ideas on how to trace this?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:34 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
If you're getting over current error without a motor connected the VFD has failed. I had a VFD that did just this. Probably failed output transistors. It was cheaper to replace the drive than the transistors.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:36 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
I would agree that the Fu is probably defective.
When I'm not familiar with a product I usually take a few extra steps before I trash it.
I would go to the Manuals section on initial startup. It has a setting to manually run the motor. I would try that. The display starts with 0.0 as the desired output frequency. That means it should not turn. The display should only go up to the maximum frequency programmed in the FU.
The motor should have 4 wires to the FU, one is to the motors case.
I would still test the motor, since I would not want it to burn up a new VFD.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Sep 02, 2013, 06:46 AM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Good advice and thank you. Below is the response we received from EMA (US based rep). We will remove it and send to EMA for an evaluation.

The error 12 means over current condition. This could be due to bad IGBT, bad driver section or bad motor or cable between the drive and the motor. If you verify that the motor and the cable is not the issue I would recommend you send the VFD to us for free evaluation.

Once we evaluate it we will give you a price for what it would cost to fix it.
Old Sep 03, 2013, 05:46 AM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
For what it may add, here is a photo of the unit. The VFD is attached to the right of the unit (and has the cover removed). I will try to to do the manual testing today as suggested prior to sending off the VFD, as you recommend, it would be a drag to burn out another VFD if there is something wrong with the motor.