HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
I mis-spoke earlier, I'm using the C3542-1000 from HK. I believe the prefix is the shaft orientation, the C prefix is the correct orientation for the Phoenix. The D prefix (from the HK picture) shows the shaft reversed. So, if you're not comfortable reversing a motor shaft, best to wait until you can find the 'C' version (not in stock presently). Here's a link to the D version.

Thanks for all the info and pics. I guess my Phoenix Evolution is not a gimmick in the 2.6m version.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
Have you tried a 10x6 on the 2832 yet? The additional thrust should help with the heavier 2.6m wings.

My watt meter shows the 2836 reaching near max amps using the 9x6 prop. So wouldn't a 10x6 prop push the motor beyond it's capabilities and burn it up?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:09 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
My watt meter shows the 2836 reaching near max amps using the 9x6 prop. So wouldn't a 10x6 prop push the motor beyond it's capabilities and burn it up?
I take it you no-longer have the stock prop to test? Yes it will increase the amps but that will decrease the operating voltage so the overall increase in Watts may not be that large (depending on your battery's ability to hold voltage).

I believe you mentioned you are getting around 24A with 9x6. I would expect to see the amps go to between 30-35A. This should be OK if you fly as a glider - climb then glide that is.

Also a search of the thread shows a few have been using the stock size 10x6 with the 2836. Perhaps someone can chime in with actual watt meter readings?
maca55 is online now Find More Posts by maca55
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
I take it you no-longer have the stock prop to test? Yes it will increase the amps but that will decrease the operating voltage so the overall increase in Watts may not be that large (depending on your battery's ability to hold voltage).

I do have the stock prop and spinner (bought one online a few weeks ago). But my new motor has a 4mm shaft and the stock spinner is 3.something shaft. I could try and take the prop off the stock spinner and install them on my new spinner.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Attaching a temperature probe to the motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Mount - My system's the Eagle Tree V4 Data Logger. It accepts up to 3 temperature sensors -- among others -- and I like to mount mine on LiPo, ESC & Motor (in that order, to represent 'Power Train'), coupled to the onboard RPM sensor so I can see what's happening, & when. Added Altimeter, to widen the picture. On the motor, reach & fitting can be a pain sometimes -- if it won't 'go', I use the 3rd for 'ambient interior'. Pretty surprising how hot it gets inside some of these things!
[[Just paused & snapped a couple pics to show the installation -- 'Thousand Words'?]]
Here is how I attached the FrSky Temp Sensor to the P2K stock motor.
No more nervous extended climbs wondering how hot the motor is getting

I have live feedback of the motor temperature and an alarm set at 70deg for those times when you throw throttle control out the window.

Name: Stock Motor with FrSky Temp Probe attached.jpg
Views: 124
Size: 261.4 KB
Description: Phoenix 2000 Stock Motor with FrSky Temp Probe attached Name: Stock Motor with FrSky Temp Probe attached Closeup.jpg
Views: 131
Size: 126.5 KB
Description: Closeup showing sensor epoxied into a small ground out pocket
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:07 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
723 Posts
Er .... I thought this Thread was related to the Phoenix 2000 2m e-sailplane..??
Perhaps I'll rejoin it when it gets back on track. ...
Daffy.
Little Black Duck is online now Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
Er .... I thought this Thread was related to the Phoenix 2000 2m e-sailplane..??
Perhaps I'll rejoin it when it gets back on track. ...
Daffy.
P2K = Phoenix 2000. That is the stock motor pictured above.

What is your problem?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined Aug 2001
723 Posts
No problem ... It just seems there are now quite a few posts in this thread, that are not about the 2m Phoenix 2000 (P2K) .... I just thought it was supposed to be dedicated to this particular aircraft. Am I mistaken?
That's because several posts recently are about a dual winged version ... Evolution? ... which has either a 1.6m or 2.6m adaptable wing. Plus other no- related posts earlier on too.
Didn't intend ruffling any feathers!
Daffy. .
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Yes it's an unmoderated thread....

I agree the this thread get's way off topic sometimes, but discussion of the Evolution version is arguably more relevant than a great many of the 2000+ posts (including this one).

The Evolution version is very similar to the 2000 - it shares all the same fuse, motor, prop etc. - so it's interesting to see how it flies compared to the 2m. I think it's OK for us to help the 'Evo guys' out now and then

LBD, have you flown your Phoenix yet? Come on mate!
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Aug 2001
723 Posts
Quote:
I agree the this thread get's way off topic ... etc.

LBD, have you flown your Phoenix yet? Come on mate!
Point taken Macca ... Fair enough ... and, no, I haven't flown mine as yet, mostly for reasons unrelated to modelling ... although it's not helping that I'm still waiting for a batch of servos from H/King for it, still in transit. That's because I bought the bare ARF version ... (ARF? ...That's a laugh!) ... hopefully I'll get one of their 'Orange' (Spektrum) R700 Rxs to go in it, as well, soon after I get them ...
Both orders are taking for ever to get here.
I could use a genuine AR600 with a Y lead for the flaps which I already have ... But I really wanted to program the Flaps independantly to obtain absolutely equal movement.
Using what time I can spend on it, I'm effecting what I feel are mandatory mods. to the basic airframe to make it more viable and airworthy ... and suit the equipt. I intend using in it.
Daffy. for the time being
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
The Evolution version is very similar to the 2000 - it shares all the same fuse, motor, prop etc. - so it's interesting to see how it flies compared to the 2m. I think it's OK for us to help the 'Evo guys' out now and then

That's why I post my Evolution questions on this thread. It looks like a close sister/brother with same motor/prop etc... Plus not too many others on this board have the Evolution, so I ask my questions on this active and fun thread.
Most or all the information is transferable to my Phoenix Evolution. When my Evolution finally is non-repairable and I want another Lanyu I will probably get the Phoenix 2000.

My Thermal DVD came in the mail a few days ago. Hope to watch it this Monday when I have time.

Can the Phoenix 2000 (2m) and my 1.6M do thermals? It's actually getting cool at night/morning time here in Indiana. Fall feels like it's here. I can't wait for some nice cool weather flying!

And I ordered some LEDS. My glider is going to turn into a UFO in a few weeks!
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Aug 2001
723 Posts
Hoosier ... That's the reason I bought mine, having seen at least one bloke at our club catch thermals, although one has soaped his up with far more powerful motor/ESC and he even uses a 4S 2000 mah Lipo, the extra weight of which needed a fair amount of lead down the back end. But he wanted it to fly more like a Hotliner ... Which it does ... quite well.
Horses for courses I 's'pose! My style of flying sailplanes is to use the motor to gain height, and then glide, or preferably soar ... And bring you home if you get too far downwind and short on altitude!
Daffy.
Daffy
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Aug 2001
723 Posts
Cotton picking' i-Pads with their auto correction ... SOAPED up should be Souped-up, although his P2K is slippery!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Aug 2001
723 Posts
Just for my own info. I googled to an Evolution website, and the first thing I noticed is that it is very similar to the P2K ... But has a much larger Fin/Rudder, which is logical for simple aerodynamic reasons, due to the longer span, more high aspect ratio wing, which would be the version most used, I think.
Interesting ...
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:13 PM
HaoleboyRC
United States, CA, Auberry
Joined Apr 2009
150 Posts
Phoenix 2000 / Phoenix Evolution

Always good to look before you quack!!

HaoleboyRC
HaoleboyRC is offline Find More Posts by HaoleboyRC