Old Apr 30, 2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by mrpotatohead2234
wow so fly
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Dec 2013
79 Posts
Help!
Taranis and DSMX

How can I get my taranis to bind to DSMX spektrum satellites?
I saw this on HK (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html)
but seems like it's in backorder for a while. Do you guys happen to know of any other alternatives, and would this module work with the taranis for binding to DSMX sats?

Thanks!
mrpotatohead2234 is online now Find More Posts by mrpotatohead2234
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2015, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
http://www.horizonhobby.com/radios/r...ble-spmmsjr720
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
Old Apr 30, 2015, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by Hugh P
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
571 Posts
The Orange module works fine with Spectrum, Orange and Lemon receivers.

The Orange module will do DSM2 and DSMX, the spectrum module will only do DSM2. DSM2 is an ancient standard in the present frequency hopping technology world.

The Orange module is $30 USD no receiver, the spectrum module is $110 and they throw in a compatible receiver.

Since you all ready own a Taranis TX get the Orange module to fly things only available with Spectrum receivers installed and use the Taranis receivers for all others.
Hugh P is online now Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old May 01, 2015, 04:05 AM
Find More Posts by MattyB
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotatohead2234 View Post
How can I get my taranis to bind to DSMX spektrum satellites?
I am guessing you want to do this because you are a multirotor guy, and you want to use a DSMX satellite because it can push out an SBUS or CPPM stream to your FC? If so a better solution than the Orange module is using a FrSky D4R-II (which can do CPPM) or X4R-SB RX (which does S-BUS); go with whichever one has the right serial connection for your FC. Small and light, no need for an additional module in your Taranis, only one wire to your FC and you get RSSI (received signal strength indication) and pack voltage telemetry without any additional gear; what's not to like!

CPPM and the FrSky D4R-II receiver (6 min 53 sec)

Naze32 Taranis Setup - FrSky D4R II CPPM & Telemetry Part 1 (8 min 1 sec)
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
Old May 01, 2015, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,917 Posts
Plus one on that. Although the Orange module is quite good, its availability is unclear (though I expect that a new version will be available soon). The FrSky receiver is available, has clearly superior performance, does not require an additional module in the Taranis, and provides RSSI telemetry.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 02, 2015, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by mrpotatohead2234
wow so fly
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Dec 2013
79 Posts
Thanks guys!
I was looking into the orange RX but have been having issues with the taranis and X8R in loss of of telemetry
Was going to use that setup on a heli, but I dont want to lose radio signal while flying a big helicopter, so that's why I was looking into DSMX modules so that the taranis could bind to DSMX sats
mrpotatohead2234 is online now Find More Posts by mrpotatohead2234
Old Yesterday, 02:35 AM
Find More Posts by MattyB
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,434 Posts
Loss of telemetry does not equal loss of RF signal. Go through your setup and make sure the antennas are correctly oriented, then do a thorough range check calling out the RSSI values as you go; it should easily be possible to get excellent range for LOS flying. If you are losing telemetry it is probably because the you are too close and the return signal is being swamped by the TX RF.

Ps - There is no official DSMX module fr Spektrum and having seen the soldering inside the Oranfe module I would not trust anything more than a 300g foamie to it, let alone a large heli. Not recommended!
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB