Old May 27, 2014, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by Daloaf
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,589 Posts
Discussion
TPpacks Multicopter and Brushless Gimbal Discussion Thread

TPpacks's old thread has had a great run, but I think it's time to start a new fresh thread discussing their awesome copters and gimbals. If you have any questions or concerns or just want to share photos and videos of TPpacks.com copters or burshless gimbals, this is the place to do it. Gary (GGoodrum) and Andrey (Askman), the guys who sell and make these copters will be on here handling any questions you might have.

The old thread is located here if you want to go back and look something up:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1582036&pp=75

I'll also update this first thread with any important news about TPpacks and their copters and gimbals.

To start off with, here are a few photos of my Tarot 810 hex with a TPPacks AG1000 gimbal carrying a GH3 (I now have a GH4 on it).

Matt
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2014, 10:53 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,589 Posts
I spent the last few days down visiting the in-laws and didn't have much to do except finish building my new Tppacks Osprey quad and tuning it. It's based on the Tarot 690 hex, but heavily modified by Andrey into the design you see here. I built it for longer flight times and moderately heavy lifting, so it has the Foxtech 4016 380kv motors, rctimer 15x6.5 props, 30A HV simon K escs from buildRCdrones.com, Naza Lite, 6s 5000mah lipo and a DYS Smart Gimbal. With the current setup, I was flying for 12 minutes and coming down with between 30-40% of my battery left. I maidened it in winds that were in the 25-30mph range, trying to stay behind the house for some cover, but it did fine in the wind. I did have to raise the gains a bit though. The second day was really calm so I got to fine tune it a bit more and got some better video. Right now, one of the foxtech motors has a moderate buzz from imbalance, but the other 3 are really smooth. I'm going to try and balance that one motor a bit more and see how it goes. I'll work on the video later today or tomorrow, but here are some photos of it in action. It's such a cool quad and with the arms folded in and the GPS folded down, I will be a decent travel quad.

Once the Sony RX100 v3 comes out, I'll most likely replace the Gopro gimbal and get a TPpacks AG500 on here.
Last edited by Daloaf; May 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
TPpacks's old thread has had a great run, but I think it's time to start a new fresh thread discussing their awesome copters and gimbals. If you have any questions or concerns or just want to share photos and videos of TPpacks.com copters or burshless gimbals, this is the place to do it. Gary (GGoodrum) and Andrey (Askman), the guys who sell and make these copters will be on here handling any questions you might have.

The old thread is located here if you want to go back and look something up:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1582036&pp=75

I'll also update this first thread with any important news about TPpacks and their copters and gimbals.

To start off with, here are a few photos of my Tarot 810 hex with a TPPacks AG1000 gimbal carrying a GH3 (I now have a GH4 on it).

Matt
Hey Matt- how do you like the Tarot vs. the Lobster? I'm fiddling with my Lobster but wanted to see what you thought of the 810.
Banana Furikake is online now Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2014, 11:14 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Furikake View Post
Hey Matt- how do you like the Tarot vs. the Lobster? I'm fiddling with my Lobster but wanted to see what you thought of the 810.
To be honest, I like the way the lobster flies better. It's simply more stable in the wind. I have put them both up in 30mph winds and you can see the tarot tilting and working harder to remain level. That being said, I built the tarot for two reasons. Longer flight time by not being coaxial and the fact that it folds, which made is easier to transport. I've been doing a lot of jobs lately where I really need to get a full 9-10 minutes of flight time per flight (and still have 20-30% left on the packs), so that led me to pick the tarot. Now I need a new copter (so I have two copters for my GH4) and I'm actually thinking of building either a X8 based on tarot 810 hardware, but with Andrey modifying the top and bottom plates or possibly picking up a Tarot T15. By putting 2 6s 8000's on there, I should be able to get a good 15 minutes of flight time. I'll also get another AG1000 gimbal on it and hopefully a Centerpiece gimbal controller soon.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Jul 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
To be honest, I like the way the lobster flies better. It's simply more stable in the wind. I have put them both up in 30mph winds and you can see the tarot tilting and working harder to remain level. That being said, I built the tarot for two reasons. Longer flight time by not being coaxial and the fact that it folds, which made is easier to transport. I've been doing a lot of jobs lately where I really need to get a full 9-10 minutes of flight time per flight (and still have 20-30% left on the packs), so that led me to pick the tarot. Now I need a new copter (so I have two copters for my GH4) and I'm actually thinking of building either a X8 based on tarot 810 hardware, but with Andrey modifying the top and bottom plates or possibly picking up a Tarot T15. By putting 2 6s 8000's on there, I should be able to get a good 15 minutes of flight time. I'll also get another AG1000 gimbal on there and hopefully a Centerpiece gimbal controller soon.
Yep- I'm waiting for the Centerpiece too- tired of PIDs. I have the Lobster built up with Hengli 690's and 13 inch T-Motor props. Kind of jumpy with the Zero UAV YS-X4 but I'm thinking it'll calm down with some disc loading. I'm running 2x5800 4S and those seem to work aok.

Also waiting for a Centerpiece to put on a Tarot I built up - Andrey has the AG500 sitting in his garage. :P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2014, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by GGoodrum
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,238 Posts
Nice pics, Matt, and thanks for starting the new thread. We've actually got a few more new platform options coming soon as well as the new gimbals. For the latter, we are really waiting on the new Phobotics Centerpiece controllers before releasing the gimbals, but we will have at least three sizes from the beginning, with the CP controllers, the AG500CP, for cameras up to the typical NEX-5/6/7 setups, the AG750CP for bigger mirrorless camera/lens combos, such as a BMPCC or a Sony a7/a7S, and then the AG1000CP for anything up to a full DSLR rig, like 5D or an a99, etc. For both the AG750CP and AG1000CP, there will be handheld options, with quick-release setups.

On the platform side, we will have the new Osprey, which Matt has pics of above, and there will be a couple of add-on kits for the Tarot 810 and the Tarot 680PRO. For the 810, we have a mod that adds full retracts, and we will have a Y6 conversion kit for the 680PRO, which is basically Lobster-sized. There's several other things in the pipeline as well.

Hopefully, the CP controllers will be available soon, like a few weeks now. They have been doing some extensive testing and the results are pretty spectacular. Worth the wait, for sure.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old May 28, 2014, 12:54 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Yep- I'm waiting for the Centerpiece too- tired of PIDs. I have the Lobster built up with Hengli 690's and 13 inch T-Motor props. Kind of jumpy with the Zero UAV YS-X4 but I'm thinking it'll calm down with some disc loading. I'm running 2x5800 4S and those seem to work aok.

Also waiting for a Centerpiece to put on a Tarot I built up - Andrey has the AG500 sitting in his garage. :P
I had the YS-X4 as well and loved everything about it except their was no way to calm it down. No matter how I changed the gains, I couldn't stop it from being over aggressive in its self leveling. It really needed a option like the DJI Atti gains that you could use to slow down how aggressively it returned back to level for smoother flight. But the YS-X4 did have by far the best position and altitude hold for any controller I have used to date. Too bad my tarot 690 that I had it on went for a swim in the Pacific. The copter just started descending on it's own when the OSD said I still had half my battery life. Who knows what caused it, but at least I did get some good surf footage on the few flights before that one
Old May 28, 2014, 01:05 AM
Find More Posts by digitalCAM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
988 Posts
Quote:
Yep- I'm waiting for the Centerpiece too- tired of PIDs.
Hi Kenji. Haven't seen much from you lately. Was wondering if you were still active, then I saw your comment the other day about "riding the bike no handed". -- The Centerpiece looks pretty promising, especially the "self tuning" feature. -- John
digitalCAM is online now Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old May 28, 2014, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by askman
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,103 Posts
I've been using APM for a while now, and I really love the ability to tune with 3.14 firmware. the alt hold /loiter can be tuned as good as dji stuff. big improvement over 2.xx firmware I am moving everything over to APM slowly as I prefer how it can be tuned to the way I like. tuning isn't too bad once you get a base of what you like. only thing I don't like is that if you take off on alt hold mode, spool up is very rapid (which with large prop can be bit discerning) I prefer more gradual spool up so I take off on stab mode.

currently, I am doing long duration/low cost/flyability tests using tricopter and other multis. Like matt, I want at least 10 min fligh time with 2 min reserve but lightest/low cost with compact storage and reasonable cost. simply, long duration requires low disk loading while keeping motor/esc efficient. (so fairly low kv motor/lower voltage) I am finding that 8gm/watt is pretty good place to be for efficient flight and about 4gm/sq in disk load. Osprey /quad is really designed for longer duration with bigger prop. I will blog about this sometime.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
Old May 28, 2014, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by Mike SF
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
728 Posts
Hi Matt. Didn't know that a new RX100 was coming out. Just read the specs and this could be a real winner and superior to the NEX5 line. The new codec should be much better and finally a realtime (clean) HDMI output. Put this 290g camera on a smaller gimbal and quad copter like the Osprey and you have high quality, easy to transport copter for a much lower price than a GH3/4 with a big hexa or octocopter.

And it has a build-in ND filter, so you can keep the shutter speed down.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mike SF; May 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Hi Kenji. Haven't seen much from you lately. Was wondering if you were still active, then I saw your comment the other day about "riding the bike no handed". -- The Centerpiece looks pretty promising, especially the "self tuning" feature. -- John
I'm back! Was a really busy winter.

Quote:
I had the YS-X4 as well and loved everything about it except their was no way to calm it down. No matter how I changed the gains, I couldn't stop it from being over aggressive in its self leveling. It really needed a option like the DJI Atti gains that you could use to slow down how aggressively it returned back to level for smoother flight. But the YS-X4 did have by far the best position and altitude hold for any controller I have used to date. Too bad my tarot 690 that I had it on went for a swim in the Pacific. The copter just started descending on it's own when the OSD said I still had half my battery life. Who knows what caused it, but at least I did get some good surf footage on the few flights before that one
I especially like how it turns like it's on a pole. Agreed on the aggressiveness on the self leveling though I haven't loaded the most recent FW. Yikes! Were you able to recover the unit?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2014, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by AliB
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,628 Posts
Quote:
To be honest, I like the way the lobster flies better. It's simply more stable in the wind. I have put them both up in 30mph winds and you can see the tarot tilting and working harder to remain level. That being said, I built the tarot for two reasons. Longer flight time by not being coaxial and the fact that it folds, which made is easier to transport. I've been doing a lot of jobs lately where I really need to get a full 9-10 minutes of flight time per flight (and still have 20-30% left on the packs), so that led me to pick the tarot. Now I need a new copter (so I have two copters for my GH4) and I'm actually thinking of building either a X8 based on tarot 810 hardware, but with Andrey modifying the top and bottom plates or possibly picking up a Tarot T15. By putting 2 6s 8000's on there, I should be able to get a good 15 minutes of flight time. I'll also get another AG1000 gimbal on it and hopefully a Centerpiece gimbal controller soon.
my x8 is the best of most worlds
cheap, runs off 4s 5000mah for $25
flight time is 14minutes fully loaded with nex5n 18-55 and ag500.

its a belter :P and now with retracts.
AliB is offline Find More Posts by AliB
Old May 28, 2014, 08:43 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,589 Posts
Quote:
I'm back! Was a really busy winter.

I especially like how it turns like it's on a pole. Agreed on the aggressiveness on the self leveling though I haven't loaded the most recent FW. Yikes! Were you able to recover the unit?
Naw, the copter went down in the some pretty big surf and sank like a rock. Wonder if it ever washed ashore, heh.

You can see some of the surf footage I took with the copter before it crashed in my demo reel.

SkyHi Aerial - www.SkyHiAerial.com - San Francisco, CA (5 min 7 sec)
Last edited by Daloaf; May 28, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old May 28, 2014, 08:48 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB View Post
my x8 is the best of most worlds
cheap, runs off 4s 5000mah for $25
flight time is 14minutes fully loaded with nex5n 18-55 and ag500.

its a belter :P and now with retracts.
Ya, I'm probably leaning toward a X8 for compactness. I'm only planning on lifting a GH4 and AG1000, same as what I'm lifting on my Tarot 810 hex, but I am hoping I can add 2 6s 8000 packs and get in the 15 minute range. I'm still tempted to get a S1000 as it would be so much easier, but I have been hearing they are having problems with the red arm locking plastic clamps breaking. That is maybe the most important piece of hardware on the copter and if they are breaking, that can't be good. Maybe they were just isolated incidents.
Old May 29, 2014, 04:05 AM
Find More Posts by åsmund
Explorer
Norge, Telemark, Notodden
Joined Jul 2005
252 Posts
A new thread, that's great!
btw I bought a bluetooth module, and I will start to change the settings again.

The gimbal worked pretty good, then I did a bunch of stuff, changing esc's and props, tried to make it as good as a zenmuse, I broke the usb port twice, and now I am waiting for the bluetooth module.

My brother also bought the ag500dd for nex size camera. Should be easy enough to make it work with gopro3 also, just balance it and change settings?
åsmund is offline Find More Posts by åsmund