New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:33 AM
Find More Posts by john_auberry
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
Build Log
Well, I started tinkering with it and so I guess I need a build thread.

I started playing with it and now I farther along on it then my other projects. I got my Fairwind running to take to the beach but I would like to have this schooner finished. It want fit in my car but my father in law said he would take it in his motor home. Dont know where Im going to store it though?

It started at a freebie. I bought a Fairwind and got this old EC12 hull.

The decks was rotten and it looked about 20 years past its prime. I wondered what I was going to do with it. I was in the process of building a schooner so I figured Id throw it under the back porch and one day make a static model out of it. After my ballest system didnt work out on the schooner I was building the old hull started calling me. I dug it out from under the back porch and sat on the ground beside it looking at its graceful lines. I realized it would make a beautiful schooner with a little cutting and glassing. So I made a plan.

I would reshape the stern and add about a inch and a half to the gunrails.
john_auberry is offline Find More Posts by john_auberry
Last edited by john_auberry; Apr 25, 2008 at 03:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:36 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
I started by ripping out the old rotten deck and cutting the stern off. I then built a new one out of fiberglass.

I then started add the gun rails.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:40 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
I was blowing time waiting on glue to dry and started making two anchors out of black acyclic.

Then I carved them with a dremal tool.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:42 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
I might halve to make two more this look a little big
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:43 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
I also stared on the new rudder
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:44 AM
Find More Posts by SloopProvidence
San Diego, CA
Joined Jul 2007
317 Posts
That must be some time you need to kill. I had better keep you away from my time... I slaughter enough of my own, I don't need any help in that dept!

I think the wooden cross arms of the anchor should be a bit higher on the shaft of the "iron" part. Otherwise it looks great.

Are you going to leave the bulwark thin (fiberglass)? If so, are you also going to leave the caprail out and fabricate it in wood and stain it? Also are you going to put a full new wood deck on her? Fellow Capts. want to know!

Jason
SloopProvidence is offline Find More Posts by SloopProvidence
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:53 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
what colors do you like?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:55 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts

or

or

Im feeling the black gray, or the black and red
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:01 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
No the rail will be several layers built up to the same thinkness ass the rest of the hull........Point taken on the anchors I just google it and your right. As for the deck, it will be a layer of balsa with a thin coat of glass then planked with oak or aspen. The cap rail will be a stained oak as well as a rub rail (I think thats what its called) that will run the lenth of the ship about 2 inchs below to cap rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopProvidence
That must be some time you need to kill. I had better keep you away from my time... I slaughter enough of my own, I don't need any help in that dept!

I think the wooden cross arms of the anchor should be a bit higher on the shaft of the "iron" part. Otherwise it looks great.

Are you going to leave the bulwark thin (fiberglass)? If so, are you also going to leave the caprail out and fabricate it in wood and stain it? Also are you going to put a full new wood deck on her? Fellow Capts. want to know!

Jason
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:10 AM
Find More Posts by DarthDude
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Wow......

And here I am carping about how to lay a balsa/teak/beech veneer on my ready-built Fairwind...... geez man- you really make me look bad!

Ok..... so now I've been shamed into getting going on that Fairwind again... and then onto my own Harpy and then.... and then.... I STILL can't see me building a schooner like this.

Anyhoo.... this one is my favourite colour scheme (just in case you're taking votes):-

DarthDude is offline Find More Posts by DarthDude
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:27 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jul 2007
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_auberry
No the rail will be several layers built up to the same thinkness ass the rest of the hull........Point taken on the anchors I just google it and your right. As for the deck, it will be a layer of balsa with a thin coat of glass then planked with oak or aspen. The cap rail will be a stained oak as well as a rub rail (I think thats what its called) that will run the lenth of the ship about 2 inchs below to cap rail.
"Rub rail"='Wale' is the usual term for it. On my Providence it's black and about 2-3 ft high. I've not seen that many boats with varnished wales... but the caprails definitely!

Depending on how large you quarterdeck step is you may also wish to raise the quarterdeck bulwark too, or at least the rail. Give yourself the chance to do some scrollwork like on the Providence, but only a single layer!

Looking good!
Jason
Last edited by SloopProvidence; Apr 25, 2008 at 04:00 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:32 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jul 2007
317 Posts
John,
Yes, Black above the waterline and Red "lead" below. The "Classic" colors for a working schooner! I think red is the right color for anything below the waterline on anything composite or metal hulled. Copper was a good choice back in the late 1700-1850s, and before that the off-white "tallow" color (like on my Providence).

That's my vote... but after all it is your boat!
Jason
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:49 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
we are completely on the same page. There will be a fancy rail close to what yours have.. I have been looking for the lighting on the schooners and cant find any pics.. I know older style ships had fancy lanterns on the back. but I have never seen any on schooners. I have a led kit Im dying to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopProvidence
"
Depending on how large you quarterdeck step is you may also wish to raise the quarterdeck bulwark too, or at least the rail. Give yourself the chance to do some scrollwork like on the Providence, but only a single layer!

Looking good!
Jason
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:53 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
Carved the wood crosses on the anchors and added same fake rust to them but it turded white on the acrylic???? A little sanding to remover the burs and they are ready.

Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:55 AM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
Oh Jason, thanks for the correction on the wales. Im trying to learn my terms.