Joined Sep 2010
1,360 Posts
Discussion
DJI Phantom 3 vs 3DR Solo

Who wins?
This is what we now know....

DJI Phantom 3 pro's over the 3dr solo:
- Build-in 4k camera and gimbal.
- Can handle a ipad air as well, instead of only a ipad mini.
- Higher gimbal and camera placement. Can take off from slight height differences like grassy envoirements etc.
- Double flight range.
- Slightly longer flight time of around 3 minutes.
- GLONASS supported.
- Livestream footage.
- Camera has no fish eye lens.
- Lighter at 1280 grams.
- Vertical Hover Accuracy of +/- 10cm. No other quadcopter had this yet so for now its in the Pro's of the phantom 3. However this is probaly achieved close to the ground and not above 10 meters.
- Horizontal Accuracy of +/- 1 meter. (inspire is 2,5m so i highly doubt the SOLO can beat this, but not yet known.)
- Indoor (and outdoor) hovering lock by scanning patterns in enough light.
- Cheaper batteries. $100(first buy only to be fair) vs 150.
- Proven reliabilty due to older versions/firmwares/experience. (although has fly aways like every quadcopter exept xaircraft)

1260 dollar.

3DR Solo Pro's over the phantom 3:
- Ability(but also a must) to use a (much) better camera, the hero 4 (or a older hero 3)
- Cable camera mode.
- Open source.
- If they hold true to their word, if the solo crashes and its not your fault, you get everything replaced for no costs at all.
- Heavier (is a pro for anti-wind capability) at 1750 grams.
- Faster then Phantom 3. (55mph vs 36mph)
- Higher wind resistance factor. (not yet known)
- Upgradable antenna's out of the box.
- Less latency then the phantom 3dr claims.
- Expansion bay.
- No -required- firmware updates. DJI can (if they want to) force you to do a firmware update. if you dont- you cant fly anymore.
- Can fly anywhere. DJI has no-fly zones build in and might expand at some point. (a pro because one might have a permit to fly at a no-fly zone as exeption. Also more freedom.)

1900 dollar (including 500$ gopro 4)

Both:
- live 720p image transmission and telemetry.
- Wind speed resistance above 21,7 km/u. The solo probaly has more but not yet known.
- Advanced recording modes like orbit, follow, intercept etc. (DJI through external app)

This is what we DONT know:
Battery price.
How easy and fast the app works.
Does the solo has waypoints out of the box in the app?

Please tell me more you guys know to complete this list the more we know. im also curious how the telemetry and app compares wich each other!
Also curious about max speed and wind resistance capability.

Enjoy
borgqueenx is online now Find More Posts by borgqueenx
Last edited by borgqueenx; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by craigiri
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
872 Posts
I see them as so different that you can't compare - different class, different budget.

The P3 advanced gives 95% plus of customers what they want and need for $1,000.
The Solo is $1800, even with a silver or discounted GP.

The DJI stuff has a rectilinear lens which may be better for the masses.

I think both will sell to beat the band (assuming 3DR produces it perfectly) - but the DJI stuff will outsell the 3DR 8 to 1 due to the price and total RTF setup...and DJI's head start on marketing and market penetration.

As far as the apps - we really have to use them for a while after final release to see what the difference it.
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by chrisfromalbany
Joined Feb 2015
122 Posts
Really Need details on SOLO..
Top Speed?
Range?
What Pilot App like?
flight time?
GLONASS support?
Cost batteries?
chrisfromalbany is offline Find More Posts by chrisfromalbany
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by borgqueenx
Joined Sep 2010
1,360 Posts
i agree, i hope we get more information soon.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by thadroopsz
Joined Apr 2013
113 Posts
All the p3 needs are people that make the app better so it can do al the same stuff as the solo can do right now.
thadroopsz is offline Find More Posts by thadroopsz
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:33 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadroopsz View Post
All the p3 needs are people that make the app better so it can do al the same stuff as the solo can do right now.
yes, but they released a SDK to make things better. it just need some dev's working on it.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by DefaultIT
Joined Apr 2015
14 Posts
Off the top of my head:

Lens:
Rectilinear lens on the Phantom, presumably not on a GoPro unless modded.

Ceiling:
400 ft. Ceiling on the solo vs. 6000 m for the phantom. (this sounds strange to me...400ft? i'd START higher than that half the time. I guess then entire state of Colorado is SOL)

Range:
Solo 5. mile Video range for "WiFi"
P3 seems to have already been tested elsewhere on the forums for over 2km, going strong

Lag?
I'm very interested to see real-world lag difference between the two: at least one article I saw mentions WiFi as the Solo's means of video downlink...which I'm guessing would be disadvantageous for both range and latency compared to Lightbridge.

Also interested in gimbal control hardware. Looks to me like the Solo remote has a knob that looks a little difficult to control with a left index finger, if I'm seeing that correctly. Pan control could be a potential difference
DefaultIT is offline Find More Posts by DefaultIT
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by Daninho
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Aug 2013
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I see them as so different that you can't compare - different class, different budget.

The P3 advanced gives 95% plus of customers what they want and need for $1,000.
The Solo is $1800, even with a silver or discounted GP.

The DJI stuff has a rectilinear lens which may be better for the masses.

I think both will sell to beat the band (assuming 3DR produces it perfectly) - but the DJI stuff will outsell the 3DR 8 to 1 due to the price and total RTF setup...and DJI's head start on marketing and market penetration.

As far as the apps - we really have to use them for a while after final release to see what the difference it.
thats not correct, the gopro is actually for the masses, its always a compromise because it was designed as an action camera with fisheye lense. The P3 has a camera designed for teh copter, so they could ditch the fisheye lens etc.. Both are totally comparable i would say, in the same class! The P3 is just cheaper because DJI can do it. A Phantom2 H4-3D with FPV and Gopro4 black was like 1800 dollar a year ago. DJI can offer cheaper prices compared to 3DR but both are in the same copter class
Daninho is offline Find More Posts by Daninho
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by phantomnoobie
Joined May 2014
26 Posts
Solo looks interesting, I think they need to focus on their styling though and if the prices quoted here are true then that might be a problem for it.

I won't fly something that looks ugly, the solo is much less ugly than the iris, but I think these little quads need retracting legs as it will improve styling and will help with aerodynamics/stability. Sorry but if I'm paying over a 1000 for something I expect it too look slick, not to mention potential clients will take you more seriously.

And can people stop moaning about GOPRO fisheye, you can fix it in 2 seconds in the video editing package. Its not a big deal.
phantomnoobie is offline Find More Posts by phantomnoobie
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by PatR
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
1,194 Posts
The 400' AGL altitude limit makes sense when considering the legal limitations in the upcoming Part 107 release. Many MR operators have already demonstrated an inability to self limit flight altitude. The FC limit might keep them out of jail and not expose them to the possibility of $10k fines.

MR's for the masses are being designed for people with no knowledge of operations so keeping everything as simple as possible protects them from their own ignorance. Production by a U.S. based company also brings legal liabilities the Chinese can't be held responsible for.
PatR is offline Find More Posts by PatR
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by phlight
Joined Nov 2010
111 Posts
Might want to include this in the pros under solo:

Also, I believe, the link works with any IOS or android device. Not sure about the cradle handling an ipad air, but the comms work on any of them.

Also consider the number of people who already own gopros. Quite a lot....
phlight is offline Find More Posts by phlight
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by AussieOKie
Joined Mar 2015
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daninho View Post
thats not correct, the gopro is actually for the masses, its always a compromise because it was designed as an action camera with fisheye lense. The P3 has a camera designed for teh copter, so they could ditch the fisheye lens etc.. Both are totally comparable i would say, in the same class! The P3 is just cheaper because DJI can do it. A Phantom2 H4-3D with FPV and Gopro4 black was like 1800 dollar a year ago. DJI can offer cheaper prices compared to 3DR but both are in the same copter class
The problem is DJI did not include features that 3DR (or other players at the moment) did, like 'follow me', etc. Having a SDK is not the answer, it may NEVER get developed. DJI should have included these features.
AussieOKie is offline Find More Posts by AussieOKie
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlight View Post
Might want to include this in the pros under solo:

Also, I believe, the link works with any IOS or android device. Not sure about the cradle handling an ipad air, but the comms work on any of them.

Also consider the number of people who already own gopros. Quite a lot....
i know but its still costly and you can see the total picture.
I have a ipad air but not a ipad mini therefore it makes the phantom more interesting.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieOKie View Post
The problem is DJI did not include features that 3DR (or other players at the moment) did, like 'follow me', etc. Having a SDK is not the answer, it may NEVER get developed. DJI should have included these features.
thats why its added to the list of pro's for the solo by having these modes.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by Jon h2
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Dec 2003
91 Posts
Yes, definitely need to include the flight modes that 3DR has built in as an advantage. 'Follow me' is just the beginning. Because the Solo can control the shutter of the gopro, doing aerial surveying will be a snap. Mission planner already includes automated surveying options.
Jon h2 is offline Find More Posts by Jon h2