Find More Posts by Flying Shark
Nut Case
Almada
Joined Oct 2008
131 Posts
Help!
VTOL ; I need some of your knowledge

Hi guys and gals !!

I am very heartbroken because I have hardly had an hour of flight time in the last three years because of my line of work.

I assemble generators on hydro-powerplants around my country (Portugal) and other countries. Normaly the projects last for some four months and there´s always large yards from where to fly from.

Upon my arrival at site I start gathering my ideas and materials so I can build something fun.

The problem is that with the workloads and scheduled deliveries, by the time I have something built, there´s always some structure built on the previously perfectly large and flat yard, like huge powerline towers, buildings, etc...

Now here is where I need your help ! It´s very off topic but I think I´m addressing the right people.

Being a fan of winged scratchbuilt stuff and being often deprived of decent ROG/landing sites I thought of getting into VTOL projects, but the electr*cs is way off my thing so I thought you could direct me to some (way off topic) VTOL RTF´s of a decent size I can mail order to job sites arround Europe (next project France and then Norway (near arctic circle)).

I´m counting on your brains, fellas !!!

Pedro.
Flying Shark is offline Find More Posts by Flying Shark
Last edited by Flying Shark; Apr 11, 2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Completeness
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2015, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by JohnM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,621 Posts
Great topic, do you have a real plane in mind to model? On the opposite side of the hobby, are you interested in a multirotor (drone)?
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Apr 11, 2015, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Shark
Nut Case
Almada
Joined Oct 2008
131 Posts
Hey there JohnM ! Thanks for your reply

I was thinking of something along the line of a V-22 Osprey or the CL-84, around 60 inches spanwise..

I have a quadcopter (impulsive shopping ) for indoor use (rainy day backup).

I sometimes buy some RTF model so I can get a motor, transmitter, servos, speed controller, battery and charger so I can use the all combo in scratch-built projects using insulating foam boards and thermoformed soda bottles, but by the time I have it "engeneered" and built I have to leave the job site to somewhere else, no chance to fly it...So I remove the electronics, scrap the airframe (can´t fit it in the bag) and move along to the next job-site...

I wouldn´t really want to be one of those cases that only come back to the hobby after retirement....

By your avatar you seem to like the Hughes 500. Mean nimble helicopter !!
Flying Shark is offline Find More Posts by Flying Shark
Last edited by Flying Shark; Apr 11, 2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to greet John properly