SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2015, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by raptor357
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
169 Posts
Build Log
Versa wing 150%

Hey guys thought after about 2 weeks of working on my build i would put it up here since i haven't seen anything this large of the FT versa. I used the tiled PDF and blew them up to 150% and started building and here is what i have done so far. I just ordered the push rods, clevis, control horns and power system today.

NTM 3542 1000kv 700 watt
Hobbyking 70amp ESC
Turnigy Digital High Torque Ballraced Servo 26g

That's what i have so far, now trying to figure out 3 or 4 cell and how much MAH to carry. All up weight is still TBD but guessing around 5 or 6 lbs. Built for long range FPV.
raptor357 is offline Find More Posts by raptor357
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2015, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by Novacat2005
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
I just have a bunch of questions.

Is that monokote? Did you remove the paper from the inside/outside? How is the torsional rigidity compared to a regular Versa? Did you add more internal structures? Are those foam elevons or ply? Are you planning to catapult launch?

Thanks
Novacat2005 is offline Find More Posts by Novacat2005
Old Jan 24, 2015, 08:21 AM
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
169 Posts
Is that monokote? No its tape.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Did you remove the paper from the inside/outside? No i did not

How is the torsional rigidity compared to a regular Versa? I never built the smaller one so not sure i can compare, i can hold one tip and it doesn't flex at all.

Did you add more internal structures? Yes i have 4 spars installed into the wing going through the center.

Are those foam elevons or ply? Foam but i think i will make ply as they flex alot and its a heavy plane.

Are you planning to catapult launch? I have a few idea's on launching, wing tip throw, overhead and catapult. Already thinking of how i will build a catapult but hoping this wing will just glide after a throw with how much motor i have makes 2500g of thrust with 12x7 prop..
Last edited by raptor357; Jan 24, 2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:23 AM
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
169 Posts
Ok guys, i'm getting ready to do some glide test and was wondering if the CG for the versa will be close when i increased the size of the drawings from 100% to 150%.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 08:16 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
169 Posts
So i used the CG calc on this site and i added all my spec and it came out to be 248mm, well i marked the CG on the wing and then used my pipe and put it on the line and started adding weight... 1.5 kg. 1500 g or 3.3 pounds, to make it a touch nose heavy, that sound like a lot you think?? AUW would be 8lb!
Old Feb 03, 2015, 12:32 AM
Find More Posts by Foam Addict.
Destroyer of foamies
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2013
69 Posts
Perhaps, you could set it up with a nose pod in front to move the CG forward. The form factor wouldn't be great, but she'd almost certainly be lighter.
Foam Addict. is offline Find More Posts by Foam Addict.
Old Feb 04, 2015, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by gionir
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
321 Posts
Hey Raptor, nice build you have there!
I started pretty much the same thing a month or so ago, but I scaled the plans up to 130%, for a 55" FT versa with a 6" blunt section.
The electronics are the same, but I am using a 60A ESC I had laying around.

I am struggling a lot to get the proper CG as well, so I relocated the servos a bit more towards the leading edge, and shifting all I could towards the front of the plane to move the CG forward.

I am still working on my wing, so she has not flown yet, I will post some pics as soon as I can.
One thing I needed are removable wings, so I glued some 9mm aluminium tubes inside the wings and in the central section, so I can insert two 8mm alu tubes (one shorter at the front and one longer at the back) to keep her together. I see you have 4, so now I am wondering if 2 are enough? We will see...

AUW so far is around 4,5 lbs
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Feb 04, 2015, 03:34 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
169 Posts
I tried to fly it over 12 times and could never get it to fly more than 30 feet, very frustrating this wing is. the calculator is not close on this wing either not sure why but its closer to 2 inches off. I think i need someone or a launcher to get it in the air.
Old Feb 04, 2015, 04:14 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
321 Posts
Have you tried this CG calc here:
http://wingcgcalc.bruder.com.br/en_US/?

This one lets you add modules, which is great if you have a blunt nose, 'cause it shifts the CG.

By the way, are you talking about 2 inches forwards or backwards?

EDIT: I now see that also the CG calculator on this website takes into account the blunt nose, but still it is worth a try...
Last edited by gionir; Feb 04, 2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: mistake
Old Feb 04, 2015, 04:18 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
169 Posts
back. it was way nose heavy
Old Apr 13, 2015, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by wingman112
Joined Jun 2013
95 Posts
ANY UPDATES? This is getting interesting.
wingman112 is offline Find More Posts by wingman112
Old Apr 13, 2015, 01:42 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
321 Posts
I "maidened" my wing a couple of times and trashed her. She was way too heavy, unbalanced (and unbalanceable) so I opted for a custom Teksumo which I am having tons of fun with!!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by wingman112
Joined Jun 2013
95 Posts
Too bad Gionir. Would a stabilization system make her fly better?
Also any update with you Raptor?
wingman112 is offline Find More Posts by wingman112
Old Apr 13, 2015, 04:57 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
321 Posts
Yeah well I had a cyclops Storm (now on the teksumo), but I realised that big wings are not my cup of tea: harder to launch, to fit in the car, to transport, heavier (but also faster, longer flights, ...) so I abādoned the idea for the moment. We'll see. Raptor, how's yours?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Red Cat Joe
United States, CO
Joined Aug 2011
123 Posts
I knew I wasn't the only one to try this!

I built a 150% Versa for a school project in high school. It didn't have a blunt nose, and despite being slightly awkward to launch the first few times, it flew great!

If you continue with this, you will need to stiffen the elevons and reduce the pushrod length. When I got mine above ~40 mi/hr, the elevons flexed back to neutral, making the plane little better than an unguided missle.

Anyway, I'd love to see someone perfect this thing; I ran out of time and money before it got there. If set up correctly, it would be a heck of a platform for FPV. It's super stable and capable of aerobatics as well as long range cruise.

Oh, and stiffening those elevons ISN'T OPTIONAL! I thought it was, and well, you can see the results.
Red Cat Joe is offline Find More Posts by Red Cat Joe