Oct 02, 2014, 03:38 AM
The best in EDF since 2005
Thread OP
New Product

TAFT Hobby VIPERJET 90mm EDF JET!

Hey guys, I have been talking with Taft and am now offering the 90mm Viperjet on the website, shipped anywhere in OZ!

The version I am offering comes with all servos pre-installed, and electric retracts with gear doors and electronic sequencer. As the stock fans are pretty average in performance I figured better to save the $$ and leave them out, as there are numerous great setups available for this beast that are not that much more expensive. I do have the stock setups listed for those who really want them, but I expect most buyers will want an Extreme power system

Anyway this is an intro thread to the model, I will list modifications below that I have done and photos of fan install etc.
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Oct 02, 2014 at 04:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2014, 03:40 AM
Thread OP
OK first mod during build, plug in channel 5 and extend front leg, then unscrew the retract. You need to make a 5.5mm thick ply panel to sit under the retract and support the whole case assembly. I discovered that on grass the front retract casing can crack, its only plastic, the mechanism is strong but the case moves as its unsupported underneath, only held firm with the 4 screws. I also CA the wooden mounting block into place to help stiffen the area up.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Oct 02, 2014, 03:42 AM
Thread OP
Fan install. Stock fans have an intake lip, god knows why the factories insist on using them in perfectly smooth ducting, but we need to deal with it. Easiest way is to use masking tape and tape over the deep groove in the fuse, make the airflow smooth as possible to the fan. I mask over then with a latex glove on I rub 5min epoxy all over the tape and edges to seal it down so it cannot peel up over time. Do both the fuse body and fan cover.
Oct 02, 2014, 03:47 AM
Thread OP
I am running my Viper on 8 cells. The fan I decided to build is an Extreme CNC Alloy housing with tabs, made for 36mm motors, added to this is a Wemotec EVO 11 blade rotor, and HET 650-68-1600Kv motor. Its a nice hot 8s setup that pulls 103 amps in the airframe with fresh Extreme Power ELITE 5000mah 35c packs.

I am running a LIGHTNING 100A HV ESC and a 5A HV-UBEC to power everything.

Inside the battery bay at the rear there is a board for distributing all the wiring connections, this needs to be moved in order to get the CG right. What I do is carefully peel the grated cover off the underside of the bay area, then I transfer the sequencer that's strapped up the front of the bay, to the underneath of the battery tray, this allows the wiring back to the distribution board more length so the board can be moved up to the side of the fuse.

I add extensions to all servo leads, and then route all the wiring under the batt mounting plate, this allows the batteries to be moved back to get the CG, and leaves everything clean and neat in the bay area.
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Oct 02, 2014 at 11:23 PM.
Oct 02, 2014, 03:52 AM
Thread OP
So My demo model is ready to maiden, and 2 other customers are already flying Vipers with different power systems.

VIPER1 is set up with Jetfan90 and HET 700-68-1680, running on 8s5000 35c packs with Platinum PRO 120A HV ESC and 5A HV-UBEC. Performance is pretty good! Kit is stock, front retract housing cracked after 6 flights due to fast landings on rough grass, hopefully the mod will help avoid this. Pretty quick at around 200kmh.

EXTREME RC AUSTRALIA - TAFT 90mm VIPERJET (3 min 3 sec)

VIPER2 is set up with a Wemotec EVO fan and HET 650-68-2000 running on 6s6000 35c packs, Platinum PRO 150A ESC and 5A HV-UBEC. Also stock, has had some mods done to the retract mounts which I will get photos of on the weekend, flies real nice for a 6s setup, 160-170kmh.

EXTREME RC AUSTRALIA - TAFT 90mm VIPERJET 6s! (1 min 52 sec)
Oct 02, 2014, 11:08 PM
Very nice! Looks like a great setup indeed.
Oct 08, 2014, 03:09 AM
This is my contribution to this thread. Sweet plane to fly wether its 6-12s or baby turbine.

I would bet money that most viper users have punched their retracts through the top of the wings given how thin that area is but I have made a worthy retract mod that is very simple to accomplish with only some packaging tape, 10mm x 1mm carbon fibre edge and some epoxy.

This has increased the load bearing section from a very small square area directly below the retract housing to a much larger surface area anchoring into the meatiest section of the foam.
Last edited by k2roo; Oct 08, 2014 at 03:17 AM.
Oct 12, 2014, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
+1 on Roo's mod, I have done it to mine and it held up yesterday to a fast smooth landing on bumpy grass without any movement in the mains. I will post up some photos of mine as well soon.

Report on the 8s Wemo EVO setup, not so good in the Viper, the 6s wemo works very well as can be seen in the video of Roo's, but on 8s there was no real gain, only wasted power. The Jetfan rotor is better suited to the TAFT models, I didn't bother with video on my viper yet, I will swap the rotor out to a Jetfan one this week and then test it again to confirm the results.
Oct 12, 2014, 10:26 PM
Its a pretty rock solid mod, i knew you would approve.

How good does the wemo evo sound, its a shame your 8s didnt really show much performance gain over the 6s wemo evo. Did you use fresh packs?
Oct 13, 2014, 04:37 PM
trying to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2roo
Its a pretty rock solid mod, i knew you would approve.

How good does the wemo evo sound, its a shame your 8s didnt really show much performance gain over the 6s wemo evo. Did you use fresh packs?
nah my jetfan in the viper is a lot nicer...
Oct 13, 2014, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren slowly
nah my jetfan in the viper is a lot nicer...
Here we go
Oct 22, 2014, 06:27 AM
Really nice Vipers guys.

I only recommend that you guys think about that 5A BEC again.

I ran my Viper using stock servos and retracts on a similar 5A BEC for a few months until one day, something pulled more current than the 5A and I lost power.

Luckily this was over the runway pretty low on half throttle so it landed itself and skidded for a while with little damage. I came to appreciate that hard plastic nose....

I think there a reason Taft specify an 8A BEC in the PNF.......
Jan 01, 2015, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Happy New Year guys, I have been working on some new projects the last month and have been busy pushing Topgun about doing another production run of foam jets, and pushing Taft on pricing and shipping. Good news on both fronts as HTG are thinking about doing a batch of 90mm foamies again, and Taft has come to the party with much stronger pricing for the new year and much fairer shipping, the new Viperjet pricing is on par with the china sellers, and the current promotion is better than they can do!
I haven't added the new Taft jet onto the site yet but will do so in the coming week, its looking to be a very easy flyer just like the Viper, a little smaller wingspan, likely easier to carry for some people. Comes with the same digital MG servos, elec retracts with sequencer etc, and should respond very well to the new GRP Jetfan90 in 6s or 8s!

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...cPath=1_37_372
Apr 16, 2015, 05:27 PM
nothing new under the sun
Hi
where can I buy this viper taft brand ?
Thank you
Apr 16, 2015, 06:27 PM
Thread OP
Click on the link in the post above yours! We can ship anywhere in the world direct from factory, there may be a small difference in price due to shipping, the website price includes shipping to Australia & New Zealand. Also bear in mind prices are in AUD, converted to USD through your bank or PP the Viper is around 399 bucks shipped.

Quick Reply