SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7 Posts
Help!
Broke my Christmas present

So, I was talking with the wife before Christmas about my multi rotor setup I am building and how I wished I had just bought a working one. Well she went to the mall/toy store and bought me a cheap medium sized coaxial helicopter called a "Golden Scorpion". Not quite what I wanted but still fun. As you know the problem with cheap helicopters is parts break. I have stripped the teeth off both the big gears. Rather than replace it with the original parts I thought about upgrading. I have thought about pulling the bears and taking it to my LHS and see if they have something a little more robust. Figured I would ask here firs if someone know a similar gear set from a better helicopter or if I bust out the micrometer and take some measurements could someone here point me in the correct direction.

Help a big kid out?
Stlwaffles is offline Find More Posts by Stlwaffles
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:49 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,956 Posts
Wow, good question.

My guess is, you might actually get lucky finding parts since most of the manufacturers of such helicopters basically copy one another.

It looks a lot like a Golden Horse Volitation based on a quick Bing search. Xheli.com stocks parts for the Volitation, but you might want to compare it with yours first.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7 Posts
In browsing some more this looks just like the Syma s032g. The gears look a little more robust. For a few bucks I might give them a shot.
Last edited by Stlwaffles; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:09 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlwaffles View Post
In browsing some more this looks just like the Syma s032g. The gears look a little more robust. For a few bucks I might give them a shot.
I agree. The rotors reminded me of the Volitation, but that frame screams "Syma."

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
HELP...I don't want to break my Christmas Present...I am a 63 year-old guy who has wanted an electric RC helicopter for some time and FINALLY, my wife got me a UJ376 3.5-channel R/C Helicopter for Christmas. I live in Chandler, AZ and am interested in finding a place to fly (Thude Park?). I'm not a member of any club. Does my chopper fit the requirements for Thude Park (Length=610mm; Width= 95mm; Height=220mm; main roter=460mm; batteries= 9.6V NiMH; 27MHz)? Do I need to register my chopper somewhere so the park rangers don't shoot it down Where do I go to get a copy of Chandler's flying rules for using Thude Park? I've not flown my aircraft yet because I have so many unanswered questions and need a place to practice my first flight without wrecking my craft!

Bob
RotorUJ376guy is offline Find More Posts by RotorUJ376guy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:32 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorUJ376guy View Post
HELP...I don't want to break my Christmas Present...I am a 63 year-old guy who has wanted an electric RC helicopter for some time and FINALLY, my wife got me a UJ376 3.5-channel R/C Helicopter for Christmas. I live in Chandler, AZ and am interested in finding a place to fly (Thude Park?). I'm not a member of any club. Does my chopper fit the requirements for Thude Park (Length=610mm; Width= 95mm; Height=220mm; main roter=460mm; batteries= 9.6V NiMH; 27MHz)? Do I need to register my chopper somewhere so the park rangers don't shoot it down Where do I go to get a copy of Chandler's flying rules for using Thude Park? I've not flown my aircraft yet because I have so many unanswered questions and need a place to practice my first flight without wrecking my craft!

Bob
You should be able to fly that indoors. I watched a video of one flying at a mall
and it's not super fast.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Our Day at the Park
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:45 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
You would not want to fly that in a park. It will not handle any wind at all, so there's a good chance it would get away from you. It's actually too big for flying indoors unless you have lots of room, like a gym. This is one of those oddballs that usually ends up on a shelf.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:46 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,956 Posts
I have to concur with everyone else. That sort of helicopter is basically indoor only. I found a site that claims it's outdoor only, but I wouldn't do it unless it were absolutely dead calm and not before you get some stick time learning how to hover.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7 Posts
The UJ376 looks to be about the same size as mine. It flies perfectly fine in my back yard as long as there is NO wind. With winds at 2-3 mph I fount it almost impossible to fly into the wind, anything more than that expect to go chase it down.